“Daughter's wedding”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Flat rock,mi
“Daughter's wedding”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stay two nights for our daughter's wedding.The rooms were nice,the beds were great .Getting to the club floor was a pain.The food for breakfast was lacking.The hall was great for the receptions was great.There food was outstanding.The wait staff was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim J
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Jim J,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and your daughter! Thanks very much for staying with us and sharing your experiences. Very glad to hear that the event went well and your expectations were met overall. Sorry you found Club Lounge difficult to access and under-stocked. We will address the issues.

If I may be of service in any way in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Steve-

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Willowbrook, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We landed here as a Priceline winning bid. We stayed in the middle of renovations (which happens). The property was great, nice and clean, with comfy beds and a very nice pool. For our one night, we were very happy.

But here's why I can't give them five dots: they used to be a Four Points by Sheraton. The entire atmosphere of the hotel was clearly built towards that brand. The Sheraton brand itself has slightly higher expectations, none of which were met. For example, there were no bellstaff there, nor was there any luggage carts, in the 10 minutes we waited to check in. Also, we waited 10 minutes to check in. They were clearly understaffed that night, and while I understand that, it also makes life a little harder for a weary traveler. Another thing that seems small but wound up being huge: the drive in front of the hotel front doors isn't very wide. It makes sense to make it one way to reduce traffic flow. But it's not, which leads to gridlock as more cars pull up from both directions trying to check in (add the slow check-in, and it gets even worse).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Joe H,

Thanks very much for your business and comments from your March stay with us. I'm glad to hear you were happy with the experience overall and apologize for the shortcomings you encountered.

While I don't recall any renovations taking place then, I can assure you that we very typically exceed the Sheraton brand standards which are vastly different than a Four Points including Bellstaff and ample bell-carts. I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't hit the mark upon your arrival.

We hope to serve you again in the near future and earn your five "owl eyes" rating. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Warm regards,
London
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The good: great beds, friendly restaurant staff and good food, nice pool (inside and outside), laundry room, "social computer lounge" in the lobby with a printer.
The bad: problems when checking in - check in staff was very unhelpful when confronted with a booking problem that was partially their fault. Some power points in the room didn't work. The pool was great for kids, but wouldn't be suitable to lap swimming at all (it's round and quite small). We were on the ground floor pool side and there were some noisy families around the pool outside until quite late. We had a family room with two double beds and there were only 3 towels in the room when we got in - felt a bit stingy! There is nowhere to change or shower around the pools at all.
Overall though it's a nicely run hotel and the rooms are very comfortable.

Dear LondonWorkingMum,

Thanks so much for your business and taking the time to share your experiences with us. Comments like yours allow us the opportunity to improve our product and service quality on a continuum.

I sincerely appreciate your objective feedback and apologize for the lack of help provided by my front desk team upon arrival as well as the issues you encountered throughout. I can assure you we take our roles very seriously and will address and correct the oversights.

We collectively hope you will afford us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor in the future. If I may be of service in the meantime, please let me know.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Lived up to the Sheraton name! Nice big rooms, beds were very comfortable and the furnishings tasteful and elegant. Didn't get to use the fitness room, but my son liked it. Will definitely stay here again.

Dear gprr,

Thanks for your business, kind words and recommendation - we appreciate it very much.

We hope to see you and serve you again soon. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Best-
Steve
Toronto, ON
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel 25 years ago, so I was really surprised to find how well this property was retrofitted recently. You would think it was just built last year! Everything in the public areas and in the hotel rooms is fresh and modern and very appealing. My son & I stayed here for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend for golf and a Michigan football game and we really enjoyed our stay. Agree with other reviewers that the beds are super comfy. Although small, the bathroom is nice also including the mirror with embedded lighting. Great workout facility and indoor/outdoor pool with hot tub. We liked how the bar area and food area and the lobby are all open and integrated. Staff was outstanding - we never encountered an employee who was anything other than friendly & helpful.

We did have a few speedbumps: 1) On Friday, we were gone from 9:30am to 7pm and our room was never serviced. 2) On Sunday when we got up, the shower handle was stripped on it's shaft and we had to take a washcloth bath in the sink rather than a proper shower. 3) The rooms have some kind of gravity-feed toilet that makes a huge roar when it flushes and then a loud whine after about 20 seconds - it wakes up everyone in the room if you get up and go in the middle of the night, even with the bathroom door closed.

Would have been a 5-star stay if not for these three glitches. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend this property.

Room Tip: We were in 311 facing the parking lot with the freeway off in the distance - never heard a sound!
Dear americanjim,

Thank you very much for your loyal business and taking time to share your experiences from your recent stay with us - I appreciate both a great deal.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the results of our transformation and the service my team provided.

I apologize sincerely for the untypical housekeeping oversight and maintenance defect with your shower. Yes, our new toilets do flush with authority - sorry for any disturbance that resulted.

We hope to serve you again next visit and earn your five-start rating! Please let me know if I can be of service in any way.

Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect during the super busy UMich move-in time, but the Sheraton hotel and staff far exceeded my expectations compared to other properties I've stayed in town. Rooms are updated, spacious & clean; the bed is super comfy; and the fitness facilities & pools (outdoor and indoor) were sparkling. Haven't seen such a happy staff in quite some time-- all are top-notch!! During a very busy time, each person I encountered was smiling, calm, pleasant, and happy. The entire Michigan football team and a hotel full of wedding guests were there during my stay, yet you'd never have noticed. The restaurant's morning breakfast buffet is a delightful standout, and comes with your room if you upgrade to club level. Huge shout outs go to staffers Rebecca, Janna, Chris and Giancarlo for exceptional service! Thank you for making move-in that much more pleasant-- your efforts are truly appreciated! The Sheraton will most definitely be our go-to hotel when returning for visits.

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Guest Member.
Dear chewettoo,

Thanks so much for selecting us taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent experience. I'm elated to hear that the hotel and my team exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again on your next visit.

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance and GO BLUE!

Warm regards,
London
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The rooms are very clean and the bed is extremely comfortable. We were delighted by an unexpected upgrade to our room and everyone is very helpful and nice. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel and it was amazing!!! There was a huge wedding taking place but you would never have known it. It didn't at all interfere with our stay or dinner. Dinner was quiet and intimate and very reasonable priced for such a gourmet meal. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again. Well worth the money to have such a great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra D,

Thank you very much for affording us the opportunity to serve you during your recent Ann Arbor visit.

I'm delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon.

Let me know if I may be of service in any way, any time.

Best-