“My place to stay when I come to Ann Arbor”

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Traverse City, Michigan
“My place to stay when I come to Ann Arbor”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I recently stayed at a the Sheraton Ann Arbor the week of Feb 18th for business and enjoyed both the style and class of the place - but also the personal touch!

Whether it was a clean work-out areas, the comfortable beds or the great lcoation - it works for me! The staf are marvelous, ihad the oppotuntiy to meet with some of the convention service people and they are sharp and want to help - Chelsea in particular was a stand-out!

Keep up the great work and I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rex O
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Rex O,

Thanks very much for your business and kind words regarding your recent stay with us - we appreciate both tremendously!

I have shared your feedback with Chelsea and my entire team along with my appreciation. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. If any of us can be of service in the meantime, please let us know.

Hospitably yours,
Steve Smyka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed one night - purchased two rooms for my Daughter's 15th Birthday celebration. My husband and I had a Deluxe room with King and my daughter and friend had two Queens in the adjoining room. We immediate noticed how clean the rooms were, with new looking furniture, linens, and chairs/sofa, and mini-fridge & microwave. The beds were the most comfortable I've had in a while, so this was a major plus considering the reasonable rate charged for these rooms. There was plenty of room for all of us, and we enjoyed the pool and hot tub / spa area as well. It was great to have plenty of nice pool towels, clean chairs and tables, and a reasonable level of clorine in the pool and air. The girls really enjoyed swimming and meeting friends in the lobby, which is very spacious and nicely appointed with seating areas and flat screens. The girls also pointed out the fresh scent of lobby - "like fresh melons and cucumbers", which was very inviting. There is a full bar and restaurant as well, which we didn't try but plan to in the near future.

Another huge plus with this Sheraton hotel is the helpful, friendly staff. The General Manager went out of his way to make sure our stay was very enjoyable, and his desk staff were great as well. Check-in and out was fast and friendly, and all questions about snacks, etc. were cheerfully answered, even though the phones were very busy as well! I'd stay again, as this property is right off the expressway, close to shopping and just a short drive to downtown Ann Arbor. Enjoy the upscale features of this Hotel for a very reasonable price!

1 Thank SiouxieDee
Dear SiouxieDee,

My sincere appreciation to you for the business and kind words - I'm elated to hear your visit and daughter's Birthday went well! I hope she'll want this to become an annual event!

I have shared your feedback with my entire team with my thanks and gratitude.

Please call on me anytime I may be of service.

Maryland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a fairly decent hotel overall. The staff are friendly and, for the most part, efficient. The lobby is very open and inviting and is graced by nice furniture and a computer corral with at least six desktop computers with a printer. My relatives used the pool, while I hit the workout room. The gym has a well-maintained selection of dumbbells, two flat/incline benches, ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, stretching equipment as well as a cable workout machine. The cardio machines are high-end and all have small TV's embedded into the control panel. I even saw a maintenance guy come in to look at what was supposed to be a loose bench (none found).

Onto the room. Our Starwood Preferred Group room was fairly spacious and had a microwave, fridge, safe, hair dryer, iron, ironing board and a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee. The nightstand and desk had outlets on the side to charge all of our power-hungry devices. Thoughtful touch.

The bathroom was the highlight and boasted a granite counter with an edge-lit mirror that makes everyone look like a million bucks. The toilet was some sort of high pressure design unit that made me feel like I was, um, launching torpedoes every time I flushed.

I checked for bedbugs and found no evidence. However, the wall behind the lounge chair was filthy and had some sort of white detritus on the carpet. Not sure if it was loose or sticky, but I didn't want to touch it. To make matters worse, when my head hit the pillow, the pillow case smelled like it hadn't been changed in over a month. Completely gross. I tossed that one and did the sniff test until I found a less ripe offering. My sense of smell is not that acute, so for me to detect something bad is quite telling.

I spoke to the front desk the next day and asked them to change ALL of the linens, which they did. Unfortunately, the smell must be emanating from the pillows because two of them still smelled. Sheraton, it's time to wash those things!

Housekeeping also forgot to replace the sugars and creamers that we used for our coffees. As a helpful hint, I left the packets out as a clear indicator that this customer is a sugar and cream user, but that person did not get it. Further, there aren't enough sugars to begin with. Three packets for uber strong Starbucks coffee? I had to go downstairs to grab more. No way should a Starwood/Sheraton traveler have to do this.

More nits: the main level hallway near the elevators had more junk along the wall. This stuff remained there for the three days of our visit. Housekeeping, are the vacuum cleaners on strike? Additionally, the elevator carpet was worn and shabby-looking. How much could a 5'x7' piece of carpet cost to replace?

Not sure I'd stay here again since there are so many other choices within a one mile radius.

1 Thank MarkinBaltimoreMD
Dear MarkinBaltimoreMD,

Thanks very much for your business and taking the time to provide your very detailed experiences and feedback from your recent stay with us. Comments like yours afford us the opportunity to continuously improve our product and service quality.

My sincere apologies for the housekeeping miscues you encountered and assurances they have been addressed.

I look forward to your next visit and improved results. If I can assist in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here 1 night. Got the room on Priceline express for a decent rate. Room was clean and quiet. Hotel was not busy.
The bathroom looked a little dated but overall was fine. Towels were fine. They had both an indoor and outdoor pool, but we did not use. They also had a nice workout area.

1 Thank Mary S
Dear Mary S,

Thank you for selecting us and affording us the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate you sharing your experiences so others may benefit from your insights.

Glad to read we met your expectations overall and look forward to exceeding them on a future visit. If I may be of service in the meantime, please cal on me anytime.

Hospitably yours,
Howell, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I've been staying at the Sheraton, off and on, for the past 4 years. The renovations always impress me when I return. The dinner menu is outstanding! The addition of the 90+ point Wine Spectator offering is a really nice touch. I've recently heard the buffet lunch IS BACK!! If you work close by, it's the best value lunch in Ann Arbor. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff, everyone is very professional. I love bringing my kids for the night as they enjoy the swimming pool and ALWAYS have to have the french fries for their late night snack.

1 Thank Shawn C
Dear Shawn C,

Thanks so much for your continued loyalty and kind words - we appreciate it greatly!
Hope to see you back soon. Please let us know if we can do anything in the meantime.

Daejeon, South Korea
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently completed an overnight, weekend stay at the Sheraton Ann Arbor. The hotel, formerly a Four Points by Sheraton, and was recently renovated. The rooms were decorated with furniture in fantastic shape and technology including RFID room keys and an iPod dock. Also, the bathrooms were updated with an adjustable shower head and lighted mirror (a nice step up from a standard Sheraton). Moreover, the room had a built-in area for a mini fridge, coffee maker, and microwave.

Although the hotel has a great hard product, the soft product is rough around the edges. For example, the elevators didn't appear to be vacuumed during the weekend. As a result, the floors were consistently dirty. Moreover, check-in and check-out were slow processes. While it's good to see that the needs of other guests were thoroughly addressed, waiting 10 minutes for both check-in and check-out is a problem that should be addressed.

Nevertheless, the Sheraton Ann Arbor is a solid choice for the local area and is still a top choice for my trips back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Keane N
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Keane N,

Thanks so much for your business and taking time to share your comments with us - feedback like yours affords the opportunity to improve our service and product quality, continually.

Glad you found the physical product to your satisfaction and very sorry that we missed the mark with our front desk and housekeeping services during your recent visit. Rest assured, the issues you encountered have been communicated and will be resolved.

We look forward to serving you again soon to better experiences. If I may be of service in any way in them meantime, please call on me personally.

AUBURN HILLS, MICHIGAN
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton February 11-13, my sister was having surgery at the University of Michigan and I wanted to be close by. This hotel was ideal for what I was looking for. 15 minutes from the hospital and restaurants not that far away. The room was great. I slept very well during my stay and had no problems at all. I would stay here again. Also the carpet in our room was new and I liked the fact that each room had a mini re-fridge and microwave.

1 Thank liketotravel952
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear liketotravel952,

Thank you for your business and taking the time to comment on your experience with us - both are appreciated immensely.

Glad to hear the service and product quality met your expectations as we're looking forward to serving you again soon. If there is anything we could have done better to exceed them, please let me know.