“Nice room, seems newly renovated, not good service”

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed here for two nights with family, we had booked a room for 3 adults and 2 kids, we called before to confirm that there would be two double beds, and one extra bed in the room for us. When we came the extra bed was missing, since we did not needed it for the first night, my wife went to the reception to make sure we had it the following night, they said that if there was one available we could get it. This was not something I would expect from a Sheraton hotel, but is seems that we were lucky and the bed came the day after.
The first morning the housekeeping woke us up at 8.30 to clean the room, I told her that we were still sleeping, and that she could come back later, it seems that it was not ok for her, because when we came back later that day the room was not cleaned, so around 3 pm I called the reception to make sure they would clean the room. At 5.30 I went to the reception to tell them that we were going out and that the room was still not cleaned, when we came back later it was cleaned. I asked how to avoid getting waken up around 8.30, and they said " put the do not disturb sign on the door" and that seems to have helped. This is the only hotel I have experience this at.
The gym is one of the better I have seen in a hotel at this level.
After all, it is an ok hotel, with a strange service, the rooms are clean, but for the price I would consider those on the other side of the same road.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PerMouritzen
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear PerMouritzen:

Thank you so much for your business and taking the time to share your experiences during your recent visit with us.

My deepest apologies for the very untypical and poor service you experienced with my front desk and housekeeping teams. I assure you, the incidents you mentioned will be addressed.

If I can be of service in any way, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Nice looking hotel, but poorly run. It took four tries for them to get my reservation correct. Two other family member reported having the same experience. Our first night, there was NO soap in the room, and judging by the many guests in the lobby reporting the same, there must not have been soap in most rooms. Later, around 11 pm, I ran into a staff person in the hallway with a handful of soap bars, who had been making rounds deliveing soap to many rooms. The next day, a family member's room had still not been cleaned by the maid as of 5 pm. One of the supervisors gave me the excuse that they had only two maids for the entire hotel. On the way out to dinner, at 6:30 pm, we saw maid's carts still in the hallway. They still had not gotten round to cleaning several rooms. Perhaps they got to it by bedtime!!! I will say, however, that they had some of the most comfortable beds I've eve had in a hotel.

2  Thank Ariel D
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear Ariel D:

Thanks very much for your business and taking time to share your experiences from your recent stay with us.

My sincere apologies for the very untypical problems you encountered with reservations accuracy and with my Housekeeping team. I assure you, these mishaps will be addressed and not repeated in the future.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds - they are indeed awesome!

I hope we'll have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Sheraton Ann Arbor was very clean and comfortable. The room on the club floor was large and very quiet.

Room Tip: Request club level if you are a member.
1  Thank Gbuyer
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We have stayed here a few times in the past as it is convenient to our home when we needed work done on the house or just wanted to get away for a swim. This coming weekend I have 3 rooms booked and cannot wait to see the renovations for myself. I have always thought this Sheraton to be family friendly, not at all snobby and quick with fixes if needed. I have had a few upgrades to club level and they are always greatly appreciated when received, but I am well aware that this is luck and not a priveledge. I would recommend this hotel for family stays or for business.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear bethgames,

Thanks so much for your continued loyalty and taking time to comment on your experiences with us past & present. I sincerely appreciate the business and kind words.

We look forward to serving you again soon - if I may be of service in the meantime, please let me know.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

My family stayed at the Sheraton Hotel- Ann Arbor last weekend (3/16/11).  I stopped in to the front desk to tell the Manager before we left:  IT WAS THE BEST HOTEL STAY WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!!   Our son plays baseball for EMU, so we spend many nights in hotels and never have we had such a home like/welcoming experience.
            The room was “perfect”—it had every single thing I needed available.  The room was spotless (something I am very over the top about), the bed was perfect, including the blankets and pillows!  Every single “staff” person I passed in the hall or elevator said hello and smiled! The 6th floor lounge was perfect!  My husband enjoyed watching basketball in the lounge while I watched a movie in the room!  I enjoyed the work out room—had everything I needed!  The pool was nice, (room was a little too hot for me, but the weather is doing crazy things to all of our plans).  Amazing!
            All of that perfection for a reasonable price!!  Way to go team Sheraton!!!!  I have made my reservations for this weekend all ready, and look forward to the stay!  We will be your guests for most weekends these next few months—(all home EMU baseball games)!!
            Thank you again for a wonderful stay, atmosphere and team!  See you this weekend!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to stay on the 6th floor!! Worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2012

Dear Anne S,

Thanks again for your business loyalty and taking time to share your praise and recommendation of our beautiful hotel and wonderful staff! We all appreciate the kind words a great deal.

We look forward to serving you and your family throughout baseball season. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you at any time.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed here while in town with our dog. They were welcoming, friendly. It is a very clean newly renovated hotel. We booked a two room suite. Had a sitting room and bedroom. It was perfect. There was a large fridge, microwave and coffee maker. We had breakfast each morning in the restaurant. They had an omelette bar and plenty of choices on the buffet. It was exactly what we wanted, expected and hoped for. If we are back in town we will stay here 100%. plenty of grass and safe sidewalks to walk the dog so it was perfect. Quiet area and lots of restaurants nearby. Great stay!

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank cormarToronto
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear cormarToronto,

Thanks very much for your business and taking time to comment on your experience here at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel!

I appreciate your kind words and recommendation a great deal and look forward to serving you again soon.

If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Ann Arbor for business. This is one of the nicest non-resort Sheraton's I have ever stayed at. It was recently renovated and it felt very much like a smaller more intimate Westin. Great Gym with brand new machines. The rooms had nice new modern furnishing including Flat Screens. I had a club level room, and the access to the club lounge for snacks/refreshments is always a great option. It is about 10 minutes from the Michigan campus, so if you are visiting family at the University, or for business purposes, this is a very nice option in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Waitingforvacation
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Dear Waitingforvacation,

Thank you for selecting us and taking time to share your praise and recommendations - I appreciate both a great deal!

Hope to see you back with us soon. Please call on me if I may be of service in the meantime.
Warmly,