“Never again!!!”

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were in Ann Arbor for a unexpected medical stay at U of M hospital. Because of Jr. Olympics this was the only vacancy we could find. Upon checkin i was assured by the staff that the rooms were very clean. I wasn't looking for luxury but clean is very important! Once in the room I was disgusted, it was filthy. The carpet stained, burns in the bedspread, and some unknown gunk stuck to the phone, towels were stained. Never again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Lynn S
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Clean, comfortable, friendly, nice continental breakfast, reasonably priced. As far as basic hotel accommodations go, I was quite satisfied. I wouldn't want to live there, but otherwise.... I really don't have anything to complain about. I've stayed in other hotels (including other Red Roof Inns) that weren't as nice. No problem recommending. I had absolutely no concerns.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We came to Ann Arbor for the Jr Olympics at the University. We did not book through the hotel (we used the aau advisor) but they ensured us that it was a great hotel for the area and the other hotel our team stayed at was booked. The front desk staff was great, check in was a simple and easy process. However, once inside the room, we found roaches. I called the desk and asked that the room be sprayed. They ensured me that maybe it was a junebug and they sprayed for roaches once a week. I informed them that it was definitely roaches and she said the maintenance guy would spray when he got there at 11:30am...no one showed up. My husband went to the desk and again they promised he would come out and spray. NO ONE CAME! The cleaning crew used profanity, were very unprofessional and very loud, some with name tags/some without, not what I expect for 91.00 a night!!! The breakfast was drab, no pool (not the hotels fault, aau stated they had a pool and exercise room and had neither) one washer and one dryer so you had to wait in line to wash....I can go on and on. Needless to say, I informed aau of all of these problems and asked them to please take this hotel off their list of recommened hotels. Location was good..across from the mall (it has no food court strangely) but if you can, stay somewhere else. I have never stayed at a red roof inn and after this experience, I will never again. Hope this helps someone make a better choice and I hope the owner sees this and makes some changes since they own the Comfort Inn next door to it. (which looked 200% better than this one..hate they had no vacancy)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

There were several conferences going on in Ann Arbor the weekend we needed to stay. This was the only area motel I could find a room. Check in was fine, friendly staff. Lobby was a bit shabby but clean.

Our room was in the back with only one tight driveway in and out. Everything was fine when we brought our belongings in. The room was clean although under the sheets the mattresses looked old and stained. Bathroom area was nicely redone.

Later in the evening when we returned from dinner, people seemed to be loitering around outside and smoking outside their rooms. Also no parking near our room. It really felt unsafe to me.

Triple locked our door and had a relatively quite night. The next morning people were loitering around outside the lobby in their pajamas...weird.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 23, 2013

For the price, this is a very nice hotel. I was surprised by some of the other reviews. Our room was clean, the staff was friendly and they had a nice contenental breakfast (most Red Roof's we've stayed in don't have anything or very limited). I would recommend this hotel if you just need a place ot sleep and relax.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor. There is no elevator at Red Roofs with only 2 floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

1. GREAT Hotel Staff
2. Updated guest rooms ( Clean ) with flat screen tv's, microwave & refrigerator
3. Convenient to U of M
4. Seconds from 94
5. 1/2 mile from Briarwood Mall
6. Many restaurants are within 3-5 minutes
7. Continental breakfast served in lobby along with vending/ice
8. Park right outside of your door
9. Sound proof ~ never heard next door neighbors
10. AAA discount / very affordable

Room Tip: Choose Outer Rooms to be close to your car
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The property is right off of exit and 3 miles from Univ. of Michigan so it is very convenient. For details see the travellers' photos, the property is no better no worse than the photos.

My room was clean and odorless. AC worked great. The bathroom was renovated but small (not a problem). Bedsheets were thick cotton and very comfortable, so was the mattress. Towels were a bit 'scratchy' but I happen to like them that way, I don't care for 'soft' ones which are less absorbent. Room had refrigerator and microwave which I didn't use but I can understand that these usually have more utility than coffeemaker and iron which were NOT available in the room. If you are paying $90 or less, this is a great stay. IF you are paying $100 you won't find the amenities such as elevators, pool, exercise room, coffeemaker, iron etc.

Breakfast was plentiful, Danishes, fresh fruit, breads/bages boiled eggs and cereal. Juices were not up to par, coffee was good.

The best part was the VERY HELPFUL AND CARING staff. They were courteous, helpful in giving directions and helping with other requests and they seemed to actually care if all my needs were met and I had a good stay with them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business