“Convenient and basic”

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The property is right off of exit and 3 miles from Univ. of Michigan so it is very convenient. For details see the travellers' photos, the property is no better no worse than the photos.

My room was clean and odorless. AC worked great. The bathroom was renovated but small (not a problem). Bedsheets were thick cotton and very comfortable, so was the mattress. Towels were a bit 'scratchy' but I happen to like them that way, I don't care for 'soft' ones which are less absorbent. Room had refrigerator and microwave which I didn't use but I can understand that these usually have more utility than coffeemaker and iron which were NOT available in the room. If you are paying $90 or less, this is a great stay. IF you are paying $100 you won't find the amenities such as elevators, pool, exercise room, coffeemaker, iron etc.

Breakfast was plentiful, Danishes, fresh fruit, breads/bages boiled eggs and cereal. Juices were not up to par, coffee was good.

The best part was the VERY HELPFUL AND CARING staff. They were courteous, helpful in giving directions and helping with other requests and they seemed to actually care if all my needs were met and I had a good stay with them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TRTH

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Banned for smoking in room. I was only one who stayed in room and I don't smoke. Woman next room over smoked all night on balcony outside. Police were all over the place and kids partied Til 4 am. Hahaha

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank jumponin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We dropped an earring in the drain by mistake, and they removed the drain to help us get it! And we left a charger there and they held it for us. Nice staff, good experience. Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who wants an affordable hotel in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
MAGGIE S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was so very glad to hear that my staff was able to assist you in many ways. It is truly this type of wow service that all of us here at RED ROOF INN strive towards everyday. We appreciate the recognition and hope to see you again in your future travel endeavors.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The rooms were clean but way small. The beds were ok and the food at breakfast was plentiful. The staff was friendly and helpful with getting food in the morning before we left. No elevator, stairs really rusty. They started painting with an power sprayer at 8:00 Saturday morning, not appreciated !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My fiance and I booked 2 nights at the Red Roof Inn, University South. We arrived late at night, so you can imagine how we looked forward to settling in and relaxing when we got to the room. Unfortunately, we ended up running away to the Marriott down the street!
Let me clarify a few things:

1) Price: Great for the budget traveler. We were looking for budget and we should have been prepared to expect what we paid for. Red Roof offered a great deal, $59+ taxes per night.

2) Staff: Excellent! The staff was very professional, nice, understanding and helpful. Honestly, can't say enough good things about the people working there.

So...you're thinking great price and great staff, what's the problem?

3) Room Accommodations: Rather awful. While the bathroom sink and floors appeared to have been recently upgraded, the rest was run down. From the moment we opened the door (actually, had to lug our heavy luggage up outdoor stairs because no elevator access that we could find) we knew this Red Roof wasn't for us.

First, the light switch didn't work. So we had to wander into a pitch black room and grope for a lamp. When we switched it on, I had a Bates Motel moment.... The floor had bits of wall stucco all over the carpet (making me think it hadn't been vacuumed). The furniture had very noticeable chips and wear. Someone left a used Sierra Mist bottle on the shelf. The cushioned chair presented a big grease stain. The toilet had heavy urine stains in the bowl as though it hadn't been cleaned properly for a while. The white bath tub was streaked with dirt (or very deep, brown stains).

The beds were old and sagged in the center. Worst, the door was suspect. It didn't close properly, so we didn't feel safe (despite the 3 locks, being an outdoor access room we needed a solid door) staying or leaving our items (clothes, mac book, etc.) while gone. No iron or ironing board (my fiance needed these for his suits the next day!). Didn't find a coffee maker in the room either. Overall, just very rundown, outdated and dirty.

We felt really bad, but the only positive in the room was the complimentary wi-fi (open access, required no password, so I don't know how secure it was).

My fiance went downstairs 30 mins after we arrived and told them we didn't feel comfortable and the room wasn't what we were expecting. They were very understanding and offered us another room or, if we didn't choose to stay, a full refund.

We chose to go with the refund and walked to the Marriott where all the listed complaints above were not an issue. Normally, we aren't that anal, but when you go on a vacation (even a short one for family visits) you want to enjoy yourself and feel comfortable. Although we paid double at the Marriott, it was worth the extremely comfortable bed and clean room.

Sorry Red Roof, maybe in the future?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kitkat2986
MAGGIE S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. In most cases, complete refunds are not issued after anyone has entered the room and used it for some time. I was glad to see that our front desk staff was able to fully refund you after your use of the room did not meet your expectations and our alternate room accomodations offered were of no use to you.

Maggie S.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I came to Ann Arbor Friday May 3rd for our sons graduation. We planned on staying the night and attending the commencement ceremonies Saturday morning. The room was $140 for the night which was not expensive but also not cheap. The room was dirty with a foul odor, the toilet seat had stains, and there were bugs floating in the bowl. We elected to forfeit the $140 and drive home after having dinner with our son. We'll drive back up in the morning. The only good thing I can say about the Red Roof Inn is it makes you appreciate being in your own bed.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sailingtheworld2gr

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing state of your room.

I'm sorry that you did not feel comfortable addressing this issue with me personally. I have, however, visited the room and shared my findings with the housekeeping manager. Corrective measures were taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,

Magdalena S.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed here before and the rooms are fine. Bathrooms could use some more elbow grease.
This time around we were awaken during the night, abt 2:30 by a drunk individual returning from the bar, swearing at some kids she had left alone in their room. Not a great night sleep........
The front desk never asked us about our stay.
A note to front desk, Canadians need the printed receipt to return across the border.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 724Mal
msayed, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the noise caused you.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At our Red Roof Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future and I will be forwarding your comments to both our front desk staff as well as housekeeping. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,