“stay elsewhere”

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed September 12, 2011

#1 - no elevator, STEEP STAIRWAYS, high railings
#2 - no/very,very few king rooms on first level. and they won't change your room type if you have trouble climbing steps. If I wanted to wait an extra 2-3 hours, she thought she might be able to give me the one single king-bed on the first level, only there because it is a wheelchair/handicapped room
#3 - two vending areas, both only on ground level. the one closest to my second floor room did not have a functioning ice maker/dispenser
#4 - very few outlets and those they do have make a loose connection with Standard plugs, there are no plug-ins on one whole side of the bed area
#5 - the "pul-out" desk area is not on rollers or anything, so it's a real chore to open the desk to utilize it for working on a computer. You have to push it back in for the night because there is <2ft of clearance from the desk/dresser to the foot of the bed "before" you pull out the desk.
#6 - the "new" design has very tiny, little nightstands hanging from the wall. If you use a sleep apnea machine, you can only plu it in on one side of the bed area and must move either the phone or the alarm clock in order to fit it on the mini shelf
#7 - a packet of shampoo???
#8 - very limited cable
#9 - very poorly maintained. They have one of the stairs taped. there are huge chunks of concrete missing from the overhang of the corridor above
#10 - the bathroom door won't stay open - I frequent the bathroom mujltiple times during the night and do night appreciate having to fight the bathroom door to get to the toilet. I used a towel to prop the door open.
I have been to Ann Arbor quite a few times and have stayed at many hotels in the $60-100 price range. this is by far the worst I've been to in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here while visiting Ann Arbor to help our daughter move. There were 3 of us staying in the room which was fine except that the sink and bathroom area (other than the toilet and shower) were in the same room as our beds. So if anyone needed to wash their hands, etc. everyone could hear and see them. The maid forgot to clean our room after our first day there nor did she leave any clean towels, etc. The management staff was very nice and apologetic, but we still were without clean towels. The free breakfast was not even worth eating - we paid to eat at a restaurant.

Room Tip: Would not go out of my way to stay there unless there are no other rooms available in town.
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Maggie, with an attitude like yours you should be fired!

This was our second stay at this place and will likely be our last.

MIS Speedway is about 35 miles away so we have stayed there during NASCAR weekends and have also stayed at the Hampton Inn next-door. Even being 35 miles from the track these properties like to stick it to you price-wise, where a room that is worth $60 a night goes for $130.

I had a question that I wanted to talk to the General Manager, "Maggie", about. So I called and asked who the G.M. was and if I could speak to her. The girl who answered the phone was trying to help me but it really was the G.M. that I needed to talk to, so she went and got her. Maggie came to the phone with an attitude right off the bat and it continued throughout the entire conversation: Rude, Short, Demeaning, Unprofessional, etc. This is how you treat a paying customer???!!!

Aside from that, the other issue was the number of items in the room that were either loose, broken or dirty.

Do yourself (and me) a favor: Don't support this place and put any money into Maggie's paycheck. Stay at the Hampton instead. Maybe her bosses can be rude to her and show her the door when business tanks!

2  Thank Chas3
Reviewed August 25, 2011

There were three of us staying in the room. The toilet and shower are in one room while the sink area is in the main bedroom area. So if someone is brushing their tooth, anyone who wants to try to sleep cannot. Our stay was for two nights. While the room was clean upon arrival, the maid forgot to clean it on our first day there. We had to go to the front desk to get clean towels. Everyone was very nice and apologized for the inconvenience. They also took a few dollars off of our room bill. Nonetheless, I don't think I'd go back there unless there were no other rooms available in Ann Arbor.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Nothing too unseen here in the sub-$100, recently "remodeled" motel set. Fairly highly trafficked and the front desk staff is nice enough. The rooms are pretty worn, the furniture and flooring has been replaced within the last five years but other things remain original and that is why I put remodeled in quotation marks.

But, seriously, what do you expect for $70-90/night? It was pretty clean and quiet. Bathroom was extremely small and the water pressure was possibly 20/gallons a minute.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is your typical Red Roof, with a few distinctions. The receptionists were geomorphology and French literature majors, the facility is far larger than most, and it was nicely remodeled (probably in 2010). The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and I slept like a rock.

The continental breakfast was standard, which is to say a bit regrettable: defrosted pastries and bagels, cold cereal, a bit of fruit and institutional coffee. Not awful, just not special. We drove to Zingerman's, which is a 10 minute drive. (Check the reviews!)

I've stayed here before and will do so again.

Room Tip: check online for discounted rates. our double queen room was $70
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This was one of the least expensive hotels I found in the area and was very surprised at how nice it was for that price. Nice furniture, flat screen tv, good sized fridge.

Probably the worst blankets I've seen on a bed at a hotel, I'm pretty sure they were just large curtains. The rooms are a little cramped if you get the double queen beds.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family