“Overall good, but fitness center issues”

The Kensington Hotel
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Now, I know hotel fitness centers aren't exactly held to the highest standards, but my experience with this one really bummed me out.

Hey! An Elliptical! YAY!
But it won't start. BOO!
Treadmill! YAY!
Stops midstride after 6 minutes. BOO! (and wow - unsafe much?)
Another treadmill! YAY!
It won't start either! BOO!

I ended up on the recumbent bike for a little while, but man, I hate those things. I did not try the upright stationary bike or any of the weight equipment. Ended up swimming in the (very nice! Clean!) pool (in workout clothes - I do recommend a swimsuit) and hot tub (also clean and beautifully HOT).

Room is clean but nothing special. Room service seems reasonably-priced and was tasty. Shower was hot with good water pressure. Wifi is lacking. (<-- a bit of an understatement. Wifi is not good.)

I didn't pay much for the room, so I'm not tremendously disappointed, but the hotel next door was only $10 more, and I wish I had tried it instead, though.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
kensingtoncourt, Director of Sales at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Danielle C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay with Kensington Court. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered with our fitness center equipment. Your concerns have been reported to our maintenance department, and are in the process of being resolved. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the use of our Olympic-sized pool and whirlpool during your stay.

We greatly appreciate your feedback, and for choosing the Kensington Court Ann Arbor for your travel accommodations while in the Ann Arbor area!

Sara Mitchell
Director of Sales
Kensington Court Ann Arbor

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were charged over $200 for 2 unanswered calls to Ireland and 2 two minute calls to Ireland. No warning on the telephone in the bedroom to prevent this from happening. I left my email contact to get a contact name to discuss the breakdown of the charges. Did not hear from the hotel since.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CorkDolores
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Room was clean. Pool nice. Wifi was the worst that I've experienced in years. If you're a business traveler forget this place - you won't get any work done. It would take 4 minutes for Yahoo's homepage to load.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Danielgg_2012
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nice higher end hotel, quiet, with an executive floor. Has a good restaurant attached to it. Close enough to the city, but not in the middle of the traffic. Has tea in the lobby daily, and international newspapers available.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Four of us stayed the last weekend in October 2012. The hotel is lovely--lobby, hallways, and rooms. Clean throughout, comfortable beds, competent staff, and reasonable rates.

We were slightly disappointed in the restaurant service Friday night and Saturday morning: servers were slow and inefficient. However, the food was excellent.

Will stay here again whenever we get the chance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Just checked out of the Lamp Post Inn in Ann Arbor after spending 5 minutes in one of their rooms....thank goodness Kensington Court could accommodate us. Their rooms are clean and cozy and the staff are all very nice. Good bed, nice tv, bathroom was clean (needed updating for wear and tear). Overall we are very pleased with our room and the hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a lovely, friendly hotel! The lobby is spacious and gracious, the hallways are attractive, clean and bright. But, of course, the most important thing is the room itself. My room was lovely and spotlessly clean. The beds were divinely comfortable with wonderful linens. The room has a small refrigerator (NOT a mini-bar), which was a real plus, allowing me to keep fresh fruit, cheese and yogurt, as well as sodas, wine and bottled water (the housekeeper gives you two bottles of water a day). The shower (which I loved) and toilet are in a separate room. The sink area (surrounded on three sides with mirrors so checking your hair 360° is automatic) is brightly lighted and has adequate counter space for toiletry bags, brush & comb, etc. The closet, situated opposite the sink, has mirrored doors, enabling a full view of one's attire (open and angle the doors slightly and you can see your rear reflection in the sink mirrors). By the way, the quality towels are lush and thick, and they provided me with as many as I requested.

The hotel staff was always friendly and polite. I didn't have any problems that needed resolving, but they were always cheery as I passed by the desk, smiling and greeting me. The housekeeping staff was also friendly, always greeting me with a big smile. They were very compliant with my specific housekeeping requests.

The restaurant, Graham's, is small but quite nice. I enjoyed their eggs and hash brown potatoes (which they serve all day long...I actually had such a meal for dinner one evening), and their salads are fresh and tasty. The separate bar portion of the restaurant is small but has a large (not loud) TV, and you may have your meal served there, if you choose. Very nice, accommodating and cooperative waitstaff throughout. This isn't a fancy restaurant, and the ambiance is rather bland, but the food is good, the restaurant is attractive, clean and quiet, the staff is friendly and helpful, and sometimes that's exactly what you want when traveling.

The hotel is located on the outskirts of Ann Arbor next to the local shopping mall, which can be very convenient.

There's also a nice Tex-Mex restaurant immediately opposite the hotel (very walkable), with numerous other restaurants in the area (requiring a car).

In the past, I've stayed at a different hotel when visiting Ann Arbor, but Kensington Court has now become my hotel of choice. Clean, attractive, comfortable, with friendly staff, a nice restaurant, a refrigerator in the room, all for a very reasonable price. Perfect!

Room Tip: I learned long ago to always ask to see the room BEFORE checking in. This is a tip for all hotels, n...