“Was decent, but now it is DANGEROUS!”
Review of Habana - CLOSED

Habana
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Description: Habana is located below Lena, our South American-style restaurant on the corner of S. Main and Liberty in Ann Arbor. Habana features South American appetizers and dinners, along with creative cocktails, salsa dancing and a decor of original brick walls and stone archways. Private rooms, which run under Liberty Street, are available for small gatherings.
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I've been to Cafe Habana six times now. The first time I went the restaurant had been open a couple of months, and my fish tacos were decent. Every since then has been a major disappointment. From way over-cooked rice, to a big piece of chicken skin and a *3 inch long sharp chicken bone* in my sandwich, to very *undercooked shrimp* in my salad, to *rotting hearts of palm* in another salad. You wonder whether they stock their kitchen by salvaging from the dumpsters of other restaurants. This place is nothing short of CONSISTENTLY DANGEROUS... It deserves no stars.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

Cafe Habana has a nice atmosphere, decent drinks and is reasonably priced. It has a fabulous goat cheese appetizer, but that's where any/all appeal ends. I have now eaten at Habana three times and have yet to have a good meal. Their salads leave much to be desired-unless you adore iceberg lettuce and nothing else, their Baja Burrito made me physically ill and the 3rd entree I tried was so forgettable I can't even recall what it was. On my last visit there, all 3 of my dinner companions were also disappointed with their meals. The primary complaint: the seafood tasted fishy and looked undercooked.
Habana's sister resturant, The Blue Tractor, is a whole other story. If you are hungry definitely give that place a try, you won't leave disappointed (unless you order salad).

Reviewed May 23, 2009

rubbish food, overpriced awful/watered down tasting mojitos, loud noisy music, and appalling service at the bar. I would NOT recommend going there with a large crowd, very compact and cluttered up - I'm surprised it does not exceed fire code! Cafe Habana Ann Arbor leaves much to be desired....

Reviewed May 13, 2009

My wife and I live in Royal Oak, MI. We have a Cafe Habana there, but thought it would be interesting to try the one in Ann Arbor for the fun of it. We were greatly pleased with our visit. In fact, the Cafe Habana in Ann Arbor, is better! The music/atmosphere, food, and service were all great, even though it was extremely busy. We had to wait a while, before being seated, so my wife and I chose to have drinks and appetizers in the basement lounge. Although I agree with a previous post, that sometimes the music, is of the wrong taste (i.e. oldies, motown, etc) it is still quite an enjoyable place. Once we got to our table it was nothing but satisfaction! The food was delicious, and although some people have complained about the restaurant not being 100% Cuban...ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE. It is Cuban themed, but is really a fusion, of Cuban and other latin dishes, with a slight American influence. And as I have heard, people at other tables say, "this is not Cuban food, I lived in Miami...", that is not 100% Cuban either, go to Cuba. Me and my wife have started to come regularly and plan to continue coming. We tell all our friends and family. In particular we have had two servers we enjoy quite a bit. Dominic, and Anthony. Both have been great and give us nothing but perfection when we come. All though the entire staff is wonderful. I hope everyone can enjoy Cafe Habana, in Ann Arbor, as much as we do, even if my wife and I would love to keep it to ourselves.

Edward Whitmore

Reviewed March 27, 2009

Loved the decor and the food was tasty and inexpensive :-)