“Just...wow!”
Review of Logan

Logan
Reserve with OpenTable
Logan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 593 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Annapolis, Maryland
“Just...wow!”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was looking for the perfect place in Ann Arbor to take my girlfriend for her birthday and I sure am glad that I listened to all the trip advisor reviews and picked Logan! I wrote in the reservation that it was her birthday and I'd like a nice table; they wound up giving us a perfect table in the front window, which despite not being particularly private (all the tables here are kind of close), still seemed private due to how the tables are arranged. Our waiter was excellent...very knowledgeable and patient with our extreme lack of wine knowledge. He wound up suggesting great wines based on very vague information we gave him about what we thought we liked.

The restaurant was nicely decorated inside, all the staff were friendly, but by far the reason to come here is the simply amazing food! It's mostly American, but with many different cultural / regional influences. We went with the 5 course Chef's menu, which is definitely what I'd recommend for anyone. They prefer that you do it blind (you find out what you're eating when it arrives at the table), but they'll make sure there isn't anything you're allergic to or really don't like. Our first course (the appetizer) was a salmon sashimi type dish and while salmon really isn't my favorite, it was delicious. The pasta dish was a duck ravioli that was among the best pasta dishes I've ever eaten and really needs to be a regular on the menu! The seafood dish was an almost equally delicious scallop dish that almost melted in your mouth and the entree was a fork-tender beef short rib that could not have been more perfectly prepared. Finally, dessert was a chocolate mousse. Of course, they change this up daily so you likely won't get the same menu. I really wish I took pictures to prove it, but aside from being one of the best tasting meals I've ever eaten, it was also probably overall the most beautifully presented. In addition to the 5 courses, there was a curry duck amuse bouche (the only thing that I didn't find perfect - thought it needed some salt) and a homemade citrus sorbet palate cleanser between two of the courses.

Next time, I'd add the wine flight to the 5 course chef's choice dinner, which is chosen by the sommelier who is also one of the 3 owners. And I really can't imagine any reason that there won't be a next time!

• Visited January 2014

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Restaurant Week!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I loved my visit to Logan. A friend and I decided to go there for restaurant week without a reservation not knowing that the weren't seating non-reservations at that time. The hostess found a table that had a one and a half hour window and asked us if we were willing to take it. We agreed. I was floored. They seated us though we weren't pre-reserved. I was battling some extreme nausea that night and unfortunately only could smell the majority of my food (that I'll eat later!), but that is exactly what stood out about this place to me. Our waitress Katilin was wonderful and checked on me when she noticed I wasn't eating. She brought me some ginger ale even!
Though I was unable to enjoy most of the food at my meal, the service and staff were excellent.

• Visited January 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Consistently outstanding”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

In the past Logan was a good restaurant, but it was also inconsistent and, I thought, overrated. No longer. For at least the past few years, it has been outstanding. A recent meal there confirmed this view. Every part of the meal, from amuse bouche and appetizer through the perfect fish entree and the dessert, was just about perfect; and this was true for everyone in our group. This is almost certainly the best high-end restaurant in Ann Arbor or the surrounding areas. The only minor complaint is that the service is a bit slow, with the gaps between courses too long. But even on that point, Logan is no worse than many high end restaurants and better than most, and the servers are extremely helpful.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank crs107
Michigan, USA
“Great time. Good food. Almost a 5.”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Service was wonderful. Our server Eddie was personable, friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. The shaved Fennel salad was awsome. The Caesar salad was rather ordinary - not a hint of garlic but at least a somewhat authentic-leaning (non-creamy) dressing. The truffled goat cheese ravioli had a nice texture but was very rich with a creamy sauce and heavy parmigiano reggiano finish. The sea scallops for an entree melted in your mouth - yum! Despite discussion with server regarding cooking of the Mahi Mahi special (seared and not overcooked) it was totally dry, overcooked, and hot to the touch through and through. The Mahi Mahi was removed from sight and bill without argument. Dessert mousse (choc and pb&j - 2 styles on plate) was very ordinary. Good selection of top shelf single-malt too. Relaxed atmosphere and not a bit pretentious. We appreciated being able to order 3 different vegetables as sides. For the #1-rated restaurant in town, I expected perfect cooking (and no re-dos) thus a "5" isn't possible on this visit. No regrets though. Will try again soon.

1 Thank A_Michigan_Traveler
Libertyville, Illinois
“Great Food”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great food, small bar, snooty clientele. My pasta was unreal and the entre was similarly fantastic. I would return but four chairs does not a bar make. I went solo and all the tables were filled and the four seats at the bar mostly sat empty so if you plan to visit make a ressie. food was outstanding!!!!

• Visited October 2013