“Nice value hotel”

Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a very nice mid-range hotel. We stayed here on our way to Niagara Falls. It's clean, with a good free breakfast, comfortable beds and a decent pool. Nice that it had a fridge as well. Love that the sink is separate from the toilet/shower. Very convenient access to the freeway as well. Great option.

Room Tip: There are rooms around the pool, so if you're worried about noise (I think the pool is only open...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in January 2014 while visiting family in Ann Arbor. Our room was clean and comfortable and we will definitely stay there again. It was convenient to get on and off the express way and the rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank judy B
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed here New Years eve prior to the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor. The hotel was ideally situated for us right off of the highway. It was clean, but it was expensive. The service was friendly, but they essentially had one person working at the front desk trying to service a lot of people. Also, our room kept getting calls to the front desk so they had some issues with their phone system.

The shuttle service to the Big House was very good and well-organized.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BoscU
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Your feedback is important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Dear Clarion Hotel,

I don't usually write negative online reviews but am so disappointed with the situation, I wanted to make sure you received feedback. Especially since it is something that can be changed.

We have been utilizing your hotel on and off for the past few years which works perfectly when we have early Saturday fencing tournaments in Ann Arbor, Livonia or Howell. We also have a son who attends UofM and have recommended your hotel to many other friends whose children also attend UofM.

This past weekend we debated between staying in Livonia at a hotel closer to a tournament site or staying at your hotel. We decided on Ann Arbor so we could take our son to dinner, bring him back with us for an overnight stay and use the pool and hot tub. Unfortunately we learned at the time of our 9:30 pm check-in that pools hours are only 10 am to 10 pm. So the whole purpose of us staying at your hotel in Ann Arbor versus the closer hotel in Livonia to use the pool and hot tub was null and void both for the evening and in the morning as we checked out by 9 am.

Closing a hotel pool at 10 pm on a Friday night in Ann Arbor seems way too early, even 11 pm would have allowed us ample time to enjoy the facilities. A morning swim and hot tub use would have also been refreshing. We were told by the staff behind the desk that "with two hockey teams and a wrestling team staying with us that's the only way to keep things quiet". Quite honestly we never noticed any hockey players or wrestlers, either in the evening or in the morning, although sadly the wrestlers wouldn't be able to eat the delicious breakfast you provide.

We have never been disappointed staying at your hotel in the past, even when the Medical Marijuana conference was taking place. However, this really ruined our evening once we returned to the hotel as we had all been looking forward to unwinding in the pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Susie,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations in regards to your request to extend pool hours.
Unfortunately, your request was not met due to the hotel policy. After hours and early mornings are used for daily maintenance and cleaning of the pool and the pool area. I can assure you that our team do their best to accommodate all guests without breaking hotel policies.

I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future so that we can have a chance to provide you with superior experience.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

First of all, paying over $160/night for that dump is just crazy! To say the building is in need of upgrades and repairs is an understatement...just tear it down. When we checked in the girl didn't really seem to care that I was standing in front of her waiting for a few mins while her and the other front desk girl talk to the manager about what kind of change they needed for the night (only takes one person to do that). She didn't really say anything to me besides "initial and sign here." We had to drive around to our room which had an outside door (which I hate), the room was tiny, had the oldest microwave in it I've ever seen, it was so trashy with the cracks in the ceiling in the bathroom, dirt all around the tub and sink area, no finishing over lights, a barely covered hole in the wall near the heater, a huge draft coming from the door, and the heat was barely working. I tried to call the front desk and some guy answers saying "hi" and when I ask him if it was the front desk he replied "oh, um no" So I called right back and they let the phone ring and ring. Finally when I got ahold of someone she said there wasn't much she could do since we booked that room and they didn't have anymore of those rooms available. Well, for one, no I did not book that room. When I booked a certain room type I did not specify to be placed in the crappiest room possible. Also, if someone else hadn't checked in yet, just switch us to a different room and have a look at our previous room before new guests arrive, or upgrade us. So she said she could maybe send the maintenance guy but it might be a bit because he's busy (obviously in a place like that). The maintenance guy was amazing, so nice and sweet, it took him a while to get to our room but that's not really his fault. He wasn't able to fix the awful draft from the door or the heater so FINALLY they said we could switch rooms (they magically had one). I will never stay at this place again! I work for a choice hotel property and even with the discount we get I will still never stay here, it's not worth it at all!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kristen E
Antoine A, Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Kristen,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.
Our management team strives to keep a superior level of cleanliness and guest satisfaction. After bringing the issue of room cleanliness to our attention, we have instructed our executive housekeeper and maintenance to thoroughly inspect all guest rooms to avoid problems like this in future. Regarding issues concerning the Front Desk I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of attention provided.

Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Clarion Management

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here the night before the winter classic at Michigan Stadium. The hotel room was nice and the staff were helpful. The hotel ran a shuttle service to the game that made getting there really easy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I were heading to Ann Arbor to catch the Winter Classic (Go Leafs!) and obviously all the hotels doubled/tripled their rates. Normally the Clarion is about $80/night and we paid $200/night. Would I ever pay $200 to stay there, probably not, not worth it.
We arrived before check-in and the front staff were kind enough to hold our bags until it was time for check-in. It was a 10 min drive from Michigan stadium, and because it was a big event, the cabbies were also jacking up their prices.
After the game, we checked-in and the front staff ladies were amazing, especially with the amount of drunk people coming in. They were courteous and friendly the whole time.
The hotel had an open concept design, I kinda felt like I was at the Luxor in Vegas, minus the slot machines. The majority of the rooms faced the inside of the hotel, and I wished we had our window facing the outdoors. We could hear all the noise that was happening downstairs, especially by the pool.
We went to the restaurant to grab some dinner and hostess/waitress was not friendly. She was training someone and we didn't want to interrupt, but we stood there for a while before she finally acknowledged us. It took them half an hour to get our food because they waited for the other people's orders to be ready until they brought it all out. People who ordered 20 mins after us, received their food within 10 mins. We didn't order anything fancy, we just ordered burgers. As soon as we started eating, more people from the game started to arrive, and you could tell it was going to get busy. For some reason, the hostess/waitress sent the trainee home. He was probably there for an hour, he didn't look too happy. I get that it was getting busy and she didn't have time to train him, I'm sure she could've found something for him to do, so she didn't have to do everything by herself.
After dinner, we head back to the room to unwind, and we discovered there wasn't hot water. I dialed front desk, but ended up connecting to another room. Front desk's number was being call forwarded to another room but that got sorted out quickly. After an hour, the hot water tanks were up and running but it wasn't as hot as it could have been, it was more like having a luke warm shower.
In the morning, I woke up with a rash around my neck and shoulder. I must've picked it up from the pillows because the rest of my body was ok. Again, hot water wasn't available, only freezing cold.
I don't think I would stay at the hotel again, the only good thing about the hotel was the front staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Antoine A, Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion/Ann Arbor to accommodate you for the Winter Classics!

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. However, we are very happy to hear that the front desk staff was satisfactory, and that you enjoyed the setup of the hotel. Thank you for brining up the bartender issue to our attention. We have since addressed the issue with the bartender and the new staff is being trained and back to work.

We try our best to providing excellent service to our guests. The hot water issue was very unfortunate circumstances, and we apologize for letting you down.