“just saw a groupon for this and rememberd how bad our stay was”

Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Adrian, Michigan, United States
“just saw a groupon for this and rememberd how bad our stay was”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed here last feb. This place is gross, Totaly dirty all the way around. We got one of the hot tub rooms for one night. it was gross. there was dirty socks, underware and a slipper under the bed, but that was nothing. I found used syringe under ther as well. front desk didnt care. I saw this great deal on groupon but quickly realised it was this place and didnt buy it.

Room Tip: dont go here!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Matt D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Windsor
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I checked in on Thanksgiving day and was given a room in the back half of the hotel which is beyond the pool area. The room itself was ok, not very spacious but the room was clean except for some hair that was on the floor in the bathroom which I noticed on Friday morning. As another reviewer had mentioned there was only 3 pillows on the king sized bed and they were small. The front desk staff however I did not find very helpful at all. They were dismissive of any of the needs the guests. The vending machines in the hotel have very old product in it so bring snacks with you. I was woken up very early in the morning due to screaming and yelling between guests in the other room. I do realize that this is not the fault of the hotel but it did make me wonder how thin the walls are. I don't think I would stay here again as I would have stayed at Webbers but they were booked. The fan in the bathroom was so loud that it would wake you up if it was put into use. All of the doors leading to the outside are not secured even though they have the keyreaders for them. This did not sit well with me as anyone could be going through the halls with no security in place.

Room Tip: Lower rooms in the back of the hotel are not enclosed, the doors to those rooms have street access t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casinoboy
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I normally stay at Candlewood Suites, but they were booked up, so thought I would try this Clarion. I appreciated the reviews that suggested staying in the Business Tower for nicer rooms.

I stayed in the Business Tower and the hotel was virtually booked solid. Lots of football traffic and what appeared to be a family reunion.

PROS: Room was quiet. I loved having a fridge for water and fruit. Felt very safe there, as a single traveler. Bathroom was clean. Room did not smell a bit of smoke. Well lit. Very easy access from freeways or downtown Ann Arbor. Parking was well lit and abundant. Fantastic price.

CONS: Compared to other hotels in the area, this one could use a facelift and some botox. It just felt "old", but not in a historic way. Tables were nicked up. Couldn't plug my cell phone into the outlets b/c they were not screwed into the wall tight. King sized bed had 3 small, square, flat pillows. Sofa did not look like one I would sit on.

In fairness, I got a great price by traveling with my company. The staff, the peace and quiet; and overall cleanliness all made for a fine overnight.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, as for business tower. Or north side of building.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joel232
New Orleans
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I am here right now visiting relatives and I am impressed with the hotel. It is a nice clean place and the staff is okay. I would return if I came back to Ann Arbor for a visit. The continental breakfast allows you make a nice crispy waffle with sauce,try it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank stone50
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here for a football weekend. It is very conveniently located to the game and the highway. If you are coming from Chicago (west) this is a much better location than staying on the other side of town by US 23. The facility itself is 2.5 stars. It's an older (run down) motor lodge. But given that, it was clean and spacious. It had a great two tier lobby area that surrounded the pool that made it great for our group to sit around and reconnect before and after the game. We had kids swimming and adults sharing drinks and conversation in a comfortable area. Not as new but not as utilitarian as a new Hampton/Fairfield Inn. This place is just fine. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms faced out into the parking lot - I had to change rooms after being assigned one as...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank skay448

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

CT
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I recently stayed at the Clarion Hotel in Ann Arbor for a business conference. It has to be said that the staff at this hotel are wonderful and will go above and beyond to make you happy. I helped coordinate arrangements with Patty Baker, the Director of Sales and Catering, and she was very willing to negotiate and work collaboratively to meet our groups' needs. I also had many dealings with the head chef, front desk staff, Sales Manager, and General Manager of the hotel during my stay. While there were some unforeseen challenges such as some trouble with the check in computer system, there was nothing that would lead me or the group I was traveling with to say anything negative about this hotel and conference center. The rates are reasonable and the hotel is a short drive away from a nice downtown area; public transportation to this area is sparse, so I hope you have a car if you want to visit the surrounding area. The head chef and his staff are particularly noteworthy; he is up every morning facilitating a fantastic continental breakfast (complete with sausage, eggs, cereal, muffins, Belgian waffles, fresh fruit, etc) and he's around for every dinner service ensuring that guests are happy with their meals. The Sales and General Manager are equally attentive to guests' needs and work hard to come to quick, fair decisions that make things easy and keep stress levels low, which is what you hope for when you go away on business or vacation!!!

Room Tip: Request a room on the third or fourth floor--the rooms on the 1st and 2nd floor facing the road are...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Maple107
Michigan
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Used points to reserve a suite-style room with a hot tub ... these non-smoking rooms smelled like a smokers' paradise ... found some lighters in a broken sofabed ... dirty sheets and towels ... ants crawling across the floor ... air conditioning didn't work in two of three units -- took 2 hours to repair. Bathroom mirror was cracked. No cups, glasses, or amenities. Had to check out a day early and received absolutely NO compensation for all the trouble. Indoor pool water temperature was uncomfortably warm. Free hot breakfast was served out of a small corner bistro bar -- plenty of food, but unappetizing -- extremely cramped for space. Hotel staff could care less!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff W
Clarion Hotel C, Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
We're happy to notice that you're a Choice Privilege Member and you got the opportunity to redeem your Choice Privilege points while staying with us in a Jacuzzi Suite.
Our property has a Smoking Free Policy and we're working on enforcing this. The fine for caught customers that do not comply with this policy is $250.
We constantly try to enforce this Smoke Free environement policy.
"No cups, glasses, or amenities". The Jacuzzi Suite that you had, is always fit with 2 water glasses with covers, Filter Coffee Machine, Refrigerator, TV. Close by in the hallway is a Vending Machine and Ice Machine.
"Indoor pool water temperature was uncomfortably warm"- Our Maintenance Department is constantly checking on the temperature and quality of the water from swimming pool.
It always comply with the standards for the water in the swimming pool, as drawn by the specialized bodies that checks this.
" Free hot breakfast was served out of a small corner bistro bar -- plenty of food, but unappetizing -- extremely cramped for space. Hotel staff could care less! "
As we noticed this as well, we set up from December a second station for the hot breaksfast, as this is very appreciated and we always have good response on hot breakfast. So now is no queing. Thank you for this comment. As you see we're improving taking in consideration your observations.Hope we'll book again with us to see improvements being done here under the new management that took over in 1-st December 2011.