“Awesome customer service!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel! We came in town for the Winter Classic from New Orleans (Go Wings!) The cleanliness was exceptional and the location was ideal! Easy access and very convenient to interstate, university, mall, restaurants etc.! When the snow picked up too much to comfortably drive, a quick walk to Wendy's right across the street for a chili dinner was perfect. The day of the game we were headed out to the shuttle bus at the Sheraton hotel and we were told by our hotel staff that the shuttle stopped running at noon (the time was 12:15). When we purchased our bus tickets at the Sheraton we were never told this information. In fact, Holiday Inn had just found out this information and although this was not Holiday Inn fault and instead was Sheraton's, the OWNER of Holiday Inn hotel overheard what was happening and offered to drive us to the Winter Classic! He was extremely generous, friendly, and gracious! He loaded up my family in his own personal car, sat in the traffic and drove us himself. This goes to show the exceptional customer service of this business and that they thrive to please their customers. Next time we are in town we will without a doubt be staying here and continuing to support his business. The fact that the hotel is very clean, perfect location, and great rates, the value that this owner truly holds in his customers is quite rare. Not to mention their body products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc.) is Bath and Body Works products! Loved that. Definitely a must stay! Thanks again to the owner for saving the day!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank MTPuffer

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have stayed here in the past and would have rated it a 5 star Three Star Hotel. It's clean, comfortable and conveniently located. Friendly staff. Not run down.

However, my last visit was not so good. Specifically, they had changed the bedding. The beds now have a loud crinkly water-proof cover on the mattress. So, getting into bed, I felt like a toddler with a bladder-control issue. Every time I moved, the bed made loud crinkly sounds due to the waterproof cover. While I understand management's desire to protect their mattress investment, it is not reasonable to make guests sleep on this time of cover.

Additionally, they had changed the pillows. The pillows are now square, which was annoying, and while they were labeled "firm" or "soft," they felt exactly the same to me. I had the worst night's sleep ever and had lower head, neck and upper shoulder pain for a week afterwards.

So, I hope they will revert back to their old bedding, because I will not subject myself to that again,.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear GNR80,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had with the bed and pillow which affected your stay negatively. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel was so great! Traveling with a sports team of 70+, we couldn't have asked for better!These were great size rooms, especially for a long stay. The beds were super comfortable, the staff was very friendly and helpful, their food is delicious, and everything was so accommodating for us. They were willing to work with whatever we needed! I would definitely put my group here again next time we travel to Ann Arbor!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The room was clean and spacious. The bed was fine. The hotel itself was very clean and most of the staff were very friendly. My only complaint was that the heavy drapes on the sides of the window were decorative and couldn't be moved over the white drapes that let a lot of morning sun through. The halls had pretty good sound muffling as we heard almost no noise being right near the elevator.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

When we first checked in, we were impressed. The hotel lobby was lovely and the front desk staff were courteous and helpful. When we opened the door to our "Boardroom Suite" however we were met with a strong sewer gas like smell ( I actually checked all aroud the suite to make sure thetoilet was flushed and someone had not left a dirty diaper in the room. The front desk staff apologized but said there was nothing they could do until the next day. Also, when I tried to keep the room fan on high to minimize the smell, it kept turning off. Again, the front dedk staff said someone would " look at it tomorrow" Gross! We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Mark K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Pauszecf,
Thank you for the comments about your recent visit to our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the strange odor and the operating condition of the air conditioning unit. These defects are not acceptable and neither is the lack of attention to attempt to correct the situation immediately. Your feedback will be used to improve our effort to provide a quality experience for each guest. I am sorry you did not have the experience you expect at a Holiday Inn. I am pleased to hear that your first impression of our hotel was favorable. Please accept my invitation to return for a complimentary night. We would appreciate the opportunity to be of service again. Sincerely, Mark K., General Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had great hopes for this hotel but was a disappointment especially with housekeeping. We left the room for an entire day and the room was not cleaned. Housekeeping showed up at 2:00 and whined about how they had 3 floors to clean and could not not clean our room. Even after we left the room again, housekeeping just threw new towels and some shampoo and conditioner. Even the old coffee filter from prior guests were not cleaned. Otherwise it is close to campus and close to other stores if you want college supplies

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank vacationum
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear vacationum,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincerest apology for the housekeeping services you received that did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 28, 2013

For someone who is first time to Ann Arbor like myself, this is the hotel that I strongly recommended. I picked this hotel when I was in a hurry and thinking that since I was going to be here for 10 days getting ready for my son to go to university, I would have time to shop for a better and nearer to campus hotel.
On my day of arrival, after flying more than 20 hours from Singapore, the hotel people made me feel very much at home.
The most interesting thing that I would like to highlight was when I need a transport to go and get a telephone SIM card for me to call home, the General Manager Mark Kuykendall offered us his free shuttle service as a driver to derive me and my son to the nearby mall.
To me this is something that is very unusual, the shuttle driver was sick and Mark was busy running around. I have been to hotels in England ,other European countries and most Asia major cities AND I have never seen any General Manager willing to be a driver for this matter, they would only help you to call a cab.
All this made my 10 days in Ann Arbor very meaningful.
Regards,