“Mixed review, Good/Bad”

Prickly Pear Southwest Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Prickly Pear Southwest Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 593 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: William
Transit: There is a bus stop at Fourth and William Streets.
DeWitt, Michigan
“Mixed review, Good/Bad”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have heard good things about this place, and it is very cute, staff very friendly, service quick. I went to lunch here with my Dad, I had the scallop/shrimp quesadilla it was very good, my dad had the beef burrito (he loves burrito's), he couldn't finish it he said it just tasted bad. The chips were a little greasy but the salsa (definitely fresh) was the best I have had in quite some time. Would I go back? Maybe, its located on a street with lots of food options so would most likely try something else. Also, the restrooms are located in the basement, not able to accommodate a handicap person.

• Visited May 2013

Farmington, MI
“Good but not great”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Have heard about this place so we went in to celebrate a birthday. On the plus side, the staff is wonderful. Our waitress was very pleasant and seemed to be having fun, doing her job. On the OK side, the food was good but not great. We ordered two of the daily specials, buffalo enchilada and scallops/shrimp quesadilla. Both were good, but could have been better. The shell surrounding the buffalo meat was bland and the texture, along with the chewiness of the meat, distracted one's attention from the flavor. The quesadilla had a bit too much "fishiness", which overwhelmed the rest of the flavors. Maybe we just made the wrong choices that day.
I thought the portions, for the price, were very good. I will try it again, because I think it can be really good, with the right selections.

• Visited April 2013
Island, Lk. Superior
“Always excellent”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We dine here about twice annually. Saturday night I chose a weekly special -- trout. Blew my mind.
I am not one to eat all on the plate. Oh, yeah! While waiting for the main course I saw the line amassing at the door. Now that says much. I barely sipped my marquieta -- top notch!!-- the salsa knocked out --thick, fresh, and chunky. Holly molly. I could die there.

• Visited April 2013
Dexter, MI
“Clean, friendly wait staff, good food, relaxed atmosphere for lunch”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went with a friend for lunch. What I liked: the booths are comfortable and the wait staff are friendly; service was really quick; we were immediately served with free warm tortilla chips and salsa (!), we got our lunches pretty quickly, the food was fresh and there was a LOT of it. Food was pretty good.

RE: flavorings - although the salsa was homemade, I thought it was a little bland. It needed more cilantro, and maybe some spices (but cilantro alone would have been sufficient). The prices were kind of high for lunch. Not much was less than $10. For mexican, that's kind of expensive.

However, they do give you a lot of food, so if you are very hungry, this is one good place to go! I definitely recommend it for lunch. Pretty casual atmosphere, but comfortable seating and friendly, efficient wait staff.

• Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tasty and fresh”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Prickly Pear is a gem. It's a great fresh place with a unique take on Mexican food. The atmosphere is cozy, the service was good, the prices are right, and the food was tasty. The drinks were good too. If you're feeling like south west food and a margarita hit it up! You won't regret it.