“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
White Lake, Michigan
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my wife while we were attending Michigan sporting events. Based on some of the other reviews I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised.

Although we had to wait five minutes to check in because the desk person was attending to a situation regarding towels at the pool, she came and even gave us an upgrade to a junior suite on the first floor. The room appeared to be recently updated and had an LCD TV and furnishings that were in just fine condition and a bed that was comfy.

There are some issues - the parking lot which this hotel shares with the Days Inn next door, which looks to be in deplorable shape as its been for years, is too small for these two hotels when they're both booked. There's barely enough parking. The breakfast was sparse and the room isn't that big to hold enough people when the hotel is full. Lastly when we checked out the front desk person was having some trouble with people smoking (not cigarettes) and the smell billowing out into the hall. But in a college town, you're probably going to get that.

Despite those issues this is a perfectly fine spot for a couple nights if you're visiting Ann Arbor. It isn't the most proximite to U of M's campus, but its also cheaper.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Travelling Canuck/Yank
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Friday night, last night of a road trip. Mistake. This is a college town, so the place was full of noisy, celebrating students.
This is a below average Comfort Inn. Hotel is very much in need of an upgrade. The furnishings are really tired and dreary. Our room had peeling wallpaper and slapped on primer instead of paint. Hallways were dingy.
Breakfast was a disappointment. Only unhealthy white-flour processed food selections. Truck stop coffee.

Would not recommend this place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Close to Hwy 94 so convenient, that's about the best I can say about the place. The reception was fine, very polite front desk. But the place is very tired. Wall paper peeling in the bathroom and walls outside the bathroom. The bathroom door had a replacement mirror, but no one bothered to paint around the smaller frame. The whole place felt tacky. Carpets are old and not very clean. There place was full and lots of screaming kids in the hallways. (Where are their parents)
Wall were so thin we were woken by the snoring from the next room.
On a bright note the breakfast coffee was OK and a reasonable choice of breakfast items
Will not be staying on the way back...

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Upon arrival I was very impressed and pleased with everything about the hotel. Location, friendly workers at the desk, and complimentary dinner. The following morning, breakfast was great too. After eating very early, I was hoping to get a little more sleep due to the poor weather conditions. I did not have a 'do not disturb' sign provided on my door and was a little frustrated knowing that I would likely get woken up by cleaning services. The cleaning staff showed up knocking and I explained I wasn't ready to leave just yet. After a few more minutes of attempting to get a little more sleep, there was loud pounding coming from just below my room. This followed up with other loud tools - it was clear some demolition was going on. I was surprised to hear this since it was a little after 9am and checkout wasn't until 11am. At this point sleep was not an option due to the noise so I decided to attempt some computer work. The internet signal was weak and very slow. Internet pages took forever to load so I gave up. The trip I had planned started great but ended with me feeling very frustrated. The 2 things I had hoped to accomplish that morning - sleep and internet work did not get accomplished and I left feeling as though I should have stayed at the other nearby hotel for an extra $30.

Room Tip: Ask if there is any planned construction. If you have AAA, they will honor a discount when you check...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Karen M
Malinta
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed overnight on 1/14/13...I asked for a wheel chair for my 87 year old mother who was terribly weak and could hardly walk ... they had no such chair ... this Comfort Inn is just 2.5 miles from University of Michigan Hospital ... and they had NO wheel chair ... the bathroom had no hand rails to help my Mom up and down off of the toilet ... she fell and landed on her bottom and hit her head ... service was great ... food was really good ... the Inn is so close to the hospital ... just think measures should be taken to realize there are going to be more patients staying there for appointments at the hospital.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Front desk was helpful and friendly. Room was clean. People in the hallways were pretty loud, but no fault if mgmt other than not much soundproofing. The hotel is located about halfway between two busy shopping centers and restaurants...red lobster right next door!!

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here for only one night. Although I thought the room was a bit out dated, even for what it was -- the TV was new and huge and they let us check out an hour later than "late check out" even. The hotel was pretty empty, so I figure thats why they were able to be flexible, but still, they could have kicked us out!

The free breakfast is decent as well!

Room Tip: Its by a freeway, so I'd ask for a room not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family