“Great Mexican Food in a Casual Setting”

Don Juan Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #114 of 595 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Don Juan Mexican Bar & Grill delivers traditional, flavorful Mexican food for all to enjoy. Come sit down with us and take a look at the wide range of excellent choices on our menu for lunch and dinner - you will love them all! From fajitas, tacos and enchiladas to chile rellenos & burritos, we serve the Mexican cuisine you're craving! All of the food at Don Juan Mexican Bar & Grill is prepared from the finest ingredients. Our full bar makes delicious margaritas and serves a variety of Mexican brand beers, wine, and spirits. We offer a great happy hour from 3 - 6 pm daily too. See you soon at Don Juan!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great Mexican Food in a Casual Setting”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

An extensive menu and fresh ingredients makes this a great destination. The fajitas are top-notch. Burritos Tampequeno rock! Warm corn chips and salsa. If you like hotter sauce, ask for the hot red chipotle sauce. Guacamole is not their strong suit -- it's the creamy industrial stuff -- they could improve by making it fresh. That said, service is good and fast and the food is hot, fresh, and tasty. Prices are quite reasonable. Look locally for coupons for 20% off. By the way, the margaritas are goooood.

• Visited November 2013

Michigan
“Open Some Cans and Stay Home”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Dear Don Juan,

I knew of your bedroom prowess, so I fatuously assumed that it might translate into culinary prowess as well. After sampling your fare, however, I see that I was sadly mistaken. I've managed to concoct pretty accurate duplicates some of your recipes in my own kitchen. I'm not claiming that you created your dishes the same way I did, but if you did not do so you're probably wasting precious time, since mine taste like yours. Here's what I came up with:

Salsa: Take one can of tomato sauce, add a sliver of garlic and a small piece of green pepper. Serve with mediocre store-bought chips.

Chile Relleno: Find a green chile, fill it with dough, and squash it as flat as a pancake. Cover with some flavorless cheese and a tasteless brown sauce.

Chicken Enchilada: Procure some shredded chicken from any mass-market purveyor, and stuff it into a rolled tortilla. Cover with a canned sauce of any kind that is reddish-brown, add lots of salt, and serve.

Rice & beans: Obtain these ingredients where every other bottom-of-the-line Tex Mex restaurant does (they're regarded as add-ons rather than main dishes, so most customers are unlikely to notice).

You can dull your customers' sensibilities with strong but overly sweet margaritas, perhaps causing diners to ignore the food. Just bring them the bill before they come to their senses.

I had high hopes for your restaurant given that my neighborhood is bereft of decent dining establishments, but at this point I'd be happy to see something -- anything -- else in your stead. Fortunately, my visit to your plaza tonight wasn't a total waste -- I procured a light bulb at Ace Hardware, and some peanut butter at the Arbor Farms Market. Maybe you could take a lesson in quality from those places.

Regards,