See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 18, 2017 via mobile

My 17-year-old daughter and I stayed at this cozy bed and breakfast near campus and had a pleasant experience. The owner, Joan, is a kind woman who made her home into a cozy set of rooms with books of all sorts and interesting pictures and art. Looking over the walls of my comfortable room, I found this gem:
"When I was a boy of fourteen my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But, when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." Mark Twain
I'll be returning to this great place in Ann Arbor, especially if my daughter and money go there.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2016

The home has character, and Joan, the hostess, is a character! A performance pianist, sports aficionado, pilot--and of course, book hound--Joan is informative and fun.

And the home is called the Library for good reason. Classic books, in full sets, by the hundreds. One could start reading and never leave the front door for years.

But you should get out the door! This B&B is on the corner of the University of Michigan's main campus, which Joan knows well and on which we spent the entire day gawking (and eating).

The home is also well-kept. The lighting, WiFi, fans, heating and bath was fully-updated and effective. The books are immaculately and artfully arranged. We stayed in the suite, which includes two libraries!

The breakfast was outstanding, unique and generous.

Joan has cats, which you will meet in the eating area but which have no trace in the sleeping area.

This was one of our best B&B's ever, and we've been to many dozens.

Room tip: The suite is comfy and quiet. With more book shelves than you can shake a stick at!
Date of stay: July 2016
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed August 15, 2015

I stayed with my lovely hostess Joan for one of the many Art Exhibits in Ann Arbor. Even by the time I arrived I felt like I knew her from our phone conversations! No one could have been more accommodating than she! I had hurt my back and I was worried about the walk, though it really was a short distance away I had never yet done it. Joan said "Hold on, if you can wait till ___, I'll drop you! And she did. I am allergic to cats, so I don't know what possessed me to even consider making a reservation here, except I guess because I am in love with books, and now I am in love with Joan! I'm allergic to the cats, who are only kept downstairs, so I slept with the window open just to be sure. It was lovely.
Her beautiful breakfasts were varied and fresh. Little tiny pea shoots sautéed under my morning scrambled eggs, sigh... She has a little secret overgrown ol' ramshackle house, crammed to the gills with books and U of M memorabilia. Read that sentence again, please. If that bothers you, don't go. If that sounds like heaven to you, and you wish you had an Auntie who lives right in the midst of U of M, then by all means call Joan. I stayed in the Mystery Room, and it's a wonder I ever slept, being surrounded by so many "old friends" I had all but forgotten. You may want to build a lot of "Reading Time" into your schedule! I had a very hard time tearing myself away!

Room tip: Mystery Room is the only one on the street. Students are sometimes less than considerate, very quiet neighborhood in general.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank NewHomeFinder
Reviewed July 7, 2015

I booked this because it was our first stop on our road trip to Iowa. We had not been to Ann Arbor before and I was reading about the B&Bs. The reviews for The Library Bed and Breakfast did not disappoint! Joan was a wonderful host! If you love visiting libraries or have an interest in books, this is the place for you! It was a surprise for my boyfriend and he really loved it! There are thousands of books and Michigan memorabilia. If it hadn't been raining all evening we could have walked downtown but it's a short cab ride where there are tons of restos and bars! Our stay included breakfast which was a delicious corn beef hash. We stayed in the poetry and non-fiction suite which is completely affordable and hope to visit again.

Date of stay: June 2015
Reviewed September 25, 2014

If you wish to be near campus, this is the place. Joan fixes you a great breakfast at whatever time you like. You're at the intersection of Division and Packard, so walking to the football stadium, basketball arena, or central campus is just a few blocks. The house is filled with books and Michigan memorabilia and Joan knows personally many of the college sports figures. When we go to Ann Arbor, we'll be staying here.

Room tip: All the rooms are excellent. If you're a Michigan fan, be sure and tour the vacant rooms to see the memorabilia.
Date of stay: August 2014