“Mac & Cheese to Love”

Zingerman's Roadhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Zingerman's Roadhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 591 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maple Road
Dallas, Texas
“Mac & Cheese to Love”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I loved the macaroni and cheese. Before the meal, the complimentary bread was delicious, along with the spicy vinegar that goes with it. The party I was with got a variety of food, and the bbq, potatoes, mac & cheese, and fried chicken was all delicious. I highly recommend this place for anyone traveling through Ann Arbor.

Columbus, Ohio
“Just What A Tried Group of Water Polo Parents Needed”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Zingerman's Roadhouse lived up to the legendary reputation of Zingerman's Delicatessen. I had the Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich with the mustard based BBQ sauce. The wait staff were very attentive and pleasant. This is definitely a place to check out if you find yourself in that state up north, in that city where that other school is located.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Go for the macaroni & cheese!”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We arrived at 7 on a Thursday night. Had to wait of course, but there is hardly any seats for waiting. The entrance was so crowded and it was uncomfortable trying to shift around everyone in that reception area. Definitely did NOT give us a good first impression. Our waitress was non attentive and the iced tea tasted horrible. The different kinds of macaroni and cheese were delicious and I loved than an individual portion could be ordered of any of them. My friend had the crab cakes and loved them. It was so very loud in the restaurant it was difficult to have a conversation with my friend. Definitely a turn-off. Next time I decide to return, I think I will just order something from the cute Airstream trailer out front.

Seattle
“Small portions, high quality”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Zingerman's Roadhouse is housed in the old Bill Knapp's just off the Jackson Road exit on I-94 and the contrast with Bill Knapp's says a lot about the changing tastes in American cuisine and changes in Ann Arbor since I lived there in the 1970's.

Bill Knapp's was modest, mainstream American with a menu and prices to match, something like an upscale Denny's serving burgers and iceberg lettuce salads with a free cake and discount meal on you birthday.

Zingerman's Roadhouse is Zingerman's with all of it's hype and annoying wonderfulness and Zingerman's prices. A meal for 4 with a local microbrew or glass of wine each will run you around 100 bucks including tip. Our entrees included mac and cheese, a hamburger, two crabcakes and a pulled pork sandwich. We sat in an enclosed area next to the BBQ pit and I ordered the pulled pork since I was saturated with the smell anyway. The service was excellent and included a couple of servings of Zingerman's bread. The pulled pork sandwich and accompanying cole slaw and fries were small portions by current standards but, as my wife pointed out, more similar to the normal portion sizes of restaurants when we were kids. Overall, a good dining experience that hit the spot late on a Sunday night.

Detroit, Michigan
“Not worth the hype”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I have a group of friends that meet monthly at a different restaurant each month to try something new. For August we choose Zingermans. We made reservations for 14, which was no problem for the restaurant. A few days later we needed to add 2 so we called back to change our reservation. The hosts had to check with a manager before changing it which we understood with no problems.

We were seated not long after our original reservation and placed a large drink and appetizer order. The waitress was great. The appetizers were good and the drink order was correct.

We ordered our entrees and this is where it went downhill for me. I ordered the pulled chicken sandwich and I was not impressed. It was dry. I was expecting pulled chicken swimming in their sauce but what I got was some plain pulled chicken on a bun topped with what looked like a spoonful of sauce on top. Disappointing. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals so maybe it was just me. The waitress did get everyone's orders correct and kept drinks refilled.

When the bill came this is where they totally lost points. She brought one of the couple's with us their own bill and the rest of us on one saying they weren't allowed to split checks for parties greater than 8. We've done this group dinner 6 times and split checks has never been an issue. I was also confused because she brought one couple their own bill. She said she could split the bill amongst different credit cards if we just told her how much to put on each card so we took quite a bit of time splitting the bill, including adding the tip which had been included in the bill at 18%. When she ran all of our credit cards and came back they had added an additional 18% gratuity to the separate bills. So we had to refigure the bill minus gratuity. When she went to run our credit cards again she said not to worry about double charging because when the same credit card number is ran twice in one day it automatically deletes the first charge. Wrong. I'm still left with two charges on my credit card bill.

We emailed the manager after our visit to explain our disappointment in the fiasco and tell them that we typically tip more than 18% when warranted and up until the bill fiasco the waitress did deserve more. She was great. He wrote back saying it is not their policy to do one check and he apologized for our poor experience. He offered up 10% off if we wanted to come back and try it again.

Personally, between my less than great meal and the bill problems my review I'd Zingermans is not great. I can't see why they're so famous. It's overpriced to begin with.