“Love this place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maple Road
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I would eat every meal, during my visits to Ann Arbor, at Zingerman's Roadhouse if I could; its combo of good-quality, tasty food, atmosphere, and friendly service is a winner. My most recent meal was breakfast; I don't remember exactly what I had but think it was an omelet; very nicely prepared. Great sourdough bread; bought a loaf to go. World's most extensive saltshaker display. Sit in a booth if you can get one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We're fans of Zingerman's bakehouse and deli, but hadn't tried the Roadhouse. A recent trip to Ann Arbor showed us what we'd been missing. This casual place with funky decor has terrific wait staff with food to match. Lots of fresh and local foods prepared in inventive and totally unpretentious ways. How many ways can you think of to make mac and cheese? Zingerman's probably has more. Salads and other veggies were very fresh and well-prepared, as was the steelhead trout I enjoyed. Both the vegetarian and the carnivore in our group were pleased with their meals. Did I mention we loved our waitress--friendly & helpful without being intrusive. We wish we hadn't been too full from dinner to try the good-looking desserts, but there's always next time.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Great food. Cool looking place. They have outdoor seating. A bit off the beaten path on the outskirts of Ann Arbor. This place is pricey. There was 3 of us for dinner and it cost us $140 and 2 of us shared a meal. They are really good about sharing meals as they split it for you before bringing it out

1  Thank Dean M
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place is a bit pricey for me, but their food is true excellence. I have been to many upscale restaurants that do not have food as good as this place. I highly recommend the smoked chicken, monterey jack macaroni and cheese and the sauteed scallops. I like the whole concept of the place. If only the prices were a bit lower... I understand that their Hanky Panky alcoholic drink is out of this world. I like their Michigan cherry soda, myself.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Service was very good - friendly and accommodating. The food we ordered was very nicely prepared and presented. We had a goat cheese bruschetta which was delicious, and a Whitefish special which was perfectly cooked and tasted wonderful. The variety of breads served before the meal was also very good.

I was disappointed in their original-style mac and cheese. First up, it was not macaroni - it was penne. Penne noodles are much bigger than tradtional elbow macaroni, so it changed the textural experience. Also, the cheese sauce was extremely rich, but not in a delicious way - in more of a cloying, throat-clogging way. This could just be my personal preference; I prefer a traditional Southern custard-based baked mac and cheese. My husband had the mac and cheese made with goat cheese and black pepper and his was much better than mine.

I thought about trying their "NC Style" pork barbecue, but I can get that at about 20 places in a 10 mile radius of my home so I decided against it. The smoking meats smelled wonderful though.

Overall it was a fun experience, the food was mostly excellent, and I would definitely go back at some point.