“Ugh!”
Review of Heidelberg

Heidelberg
Reserve with OpenTable
Heidelberg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #455 of 619 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We wanted to eat at Metzger's but we were only in Ann Arbor around lunch time and Metzger's apparently isn't open for lunch...so we went to the downtown Heidelberg. Never again! We should have known not to order much since we entered an empty place. Waitress was fairly pleasant but what was going on in the kitchen was anybody's guess. Husband's goulash was ok. His Caesar salad was served on a warm plate! My husband is a retired chef who rolled his eyes when I was served ""wienerschnitzel." The veal seemed that it had been butchered with a hack saw. It was grilled and tough as nails. Two potato pancakes that were also fried and HEAVY as hockey pucks. Red cabbage was barely warm. Little cup of Apple sauce was the only saving grace to a $20 meal. Oh! And there was no toilet tIssue in the men's room...and when we told the waitress she opened the kitchen door and in a loud voice notified whoever was in there! Probably a good thing there weren't any other customers. Do yourself a favor if you crave German food in Ann Arbor...go to Metzger's!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife, brother in law, brother in law's friend, and I ate at this restaurant after said brother in law became curious about it when recently walking by. While the food and rest of the experience didn't rise to the level of excellent, my stroganoff was certainly very good, and the other three enjoyed their meals. I notice from the TripAdvisor sidebar as I write this that there have been comments about bad service, but our service was fine and attentive. (Though it should be noted that we arrived at an early hour for dinner, and there were only a few other patrons to be taken care of.) I've eaten at many restaurants in Germany, Austria, and the German-speaking parts of Switzerland and France (Alsace), and this restaurant would fit right in with those. It's fine.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Waitresses were complaining to each other. We ordered dessert and it took almost 30 minutes. We were the only ones in the main floor restaurant. Don't bother to go.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Some of these reviews were pretty harsh so I was afraid to try this place. I dined with three others and each of us got a different entree. Everyone liked every course they were served. One or two of our items did not seem to be quite hot enough, but basically good. We tried the sauerbraten, sausages, spicy hamburger patty (It has a special name which I have forgotten), and kasespaetzel. We had soup and salad appetizers and German chocolate cake dessert. Everything was very good and seemed much more authentic than the other reviewers gave it credit for. Also, the interior of this place is very quaint and cute. I hope they make a go of it!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was certainly a disappointment, looking forward to a good German meal. I can't believe they have stayed in business so long. The worst German food I have experience. I ordered Sauerbraten dinner with red cabbage and hot German potato salad and my husband ordered the Wiener Schnitzel with red cabbage and spaetzle. Nothing tasted good or had a hint of German flavor. We were very hungary and tried our best to eat the poorly prepared food but left chalking it as a bad choice. The food was not very hot, the service was okay, the restroom was clean.