“Lacking most things”

Ranked #49 of 595 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American, Seafood
“Lacking most things”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am staying in Ann Arbor for a month on business. One night I went to Red Hawk to watch a hockey game and there were three of us in the restaurant with only a few TV screens. The food was ok. I had wings and a side of fries. The next occasion I ordered out wings, salad and nachos for the family. All the food was horrible. Again, no one was in the restaurant that day. One last try to eat in with the family. Portion sizes were generous but there was nothing to set the food apart from any other place. The meat on the steak salad was tough and was a workout to chew. I think there is a reason Red Hawk has been empty. Service was great on all occasions. The atmosphere is cool. It may be a nice place for drinks. Go somewhere else for the food.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Taos, New Mexico
“Red Hawk Bar & Grill Reassessed”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Red Hawk has been a default restaurant for me since it opened in the 1990's. I have always liked its interior with bare brick walls and exposed ceiling beams, pendent lighting and high-backed booths along the walls. It has been a lively and appreciated dinner venue for me for many years.
Sadly, it was a very real disappointment to sense a decline in the dinner experience when my wife and I visited over this past Memorial Day weekend. True, we went early in the evening to beat the holiday crush. True, we are somewhat past the median age for this bar. Nonetheless, the lackluster performance of the staff (both front and back of the house) was an unfortunate surprise. We were initially seated at the very rear of the restaurant, despite the fact that there were only three other groups of diners in the entire place. There was so much noise coming from the kitchen...banging pots & pans, loud radio music and shouting...that we asked for a table closer to the front. Our new table was indeed quieter, but the waitstaff for this section could barely conceal their utter apathy. When our food arrived...I chose an omelette with fries, my wife a Thai Shrimp salad...it was edible meal but unappealingly presented. I did count a total of six average sized french fries on my plate. But perhaps they tried to compensate by overstuffing the omelette with spinach leaves? All in all, the meal wasn't as bad as the service...it just wasn't good. In a town like Ann Arbor, you have to be better than 'low average' to survive the competition. In this case the Red Hawk wasn't. One bad trip doesn't make or break a place in my book, but it may be some time before I can summon the fortitude to attempt a repeat.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank peter g
Philadelphia, Pa
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I always enjoy having dinner here when I take my daughter back to U Mich. The food is always great as well as the service. We love the nachos and burgers and onion rings are amazing. Also they have a great selection of beers. They make a great margarita.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank PATraveler17
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Still excellent”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

When we booked our flights to go back to Ann Arbor, I was determined to pay a return visit to the Red Hawk.

Our priorities kept us off the Mojitos this time sadly (they were the main theme in one of our previous visits), but we managed to get in for dinner late one evening. The service was excellent and the waitress was very quick to refill our drinks as needed. The fish and chips were nicely cooked and the portion size was generous. The tuna melt was just right - the fries and side of onion rings (huge!) topped it off nicely.

I love the atmosphere in the Red Hawk. It's a very warm, friendly and welcoming place to eat, particularly if you are seated in the booth area. If only there was a Red Hawk in England...

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank DorisDiner
Cornelius, North Carolina
“Positive experience overall”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This long rectangular restaurant consists of roughly 20 tables including booths lining the two side walls and tables in between, and a bar area near the entrance. It was clean and felt up-to-date, like the "after" image of a before-and-after restaurant makeover show. Our food was very good and gourmet style, including catfish tacos and a turkey rueben, and we loved the soda ginger beer. Our service was friendly and prompt. The atmosphere probably wouldn't be for those looking for an intimate meal out, but isn't necessarily only for a rowdy bunch either. We had a good time taking a good friend out, and for 3 people we made out at around $40 before tip.

• Visited March 2013