“Good food @ a reasonable price”
Review of Jerusalem Garden

Jerusalem Garden
Ranked #9 of 621 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Jerusalem Garden has been a breath of fresh air in the Ann Arbor food scene (one that often emphasizes image over quality) for as long as I have lived in the town (15 years). During that time, many competitors have opened up (some serving similar dishes) and none has had the success J.G. deservedly enjoys. The restaurant is so popular because they know what they want to do and how to do it. It is a 'no frills' locale that focuses on tasty food served in a friendly atmosphere at very affordable prices.

I have easily eaten over 100 meals / sandwiches and not once been disappointed. That level of consistency is unheard of these days. In addition to this, the few times I have gotten catering from J.G. it has been an incredible value.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I should have known something was wrong when I saw people with "falafel wraps" rather than falafel in pita. Don't people know the purpose of pita (is to have a pocket to fill with your fillings (falafel, hummus, etc)? There are some exceptions (such as a laffa) but otherwise why not just use a tortilla?

The service was horrible and if you looked cool (and by cool I mean grungy) then you got taken care of faster. Restaurant owners listen up: I tip far better than someone who looks like they haven't bathed in a few weeks. They also got the order wrong. And the order for the table next to us wrong. And they told another table that their food would take a long time and wouldn't they like to change their order to something that would come out faster?

The falafel was crunchy (perhaps a little too crunchy) on the outside and a nice texture on the inside. The taste was, well, it had no taste. It was definitely missing cumin, and well, taste. The hummus was good and the baba was decent. The lentil soup was pretty good. The pita wasn't really pita; it was "pita bread," store bought, thin as a tortilla (maybe that's what gave them the idea to make pita wraps?), dry, stale, and tasteless. The good news is that they only gave us three quarters of a piece.The hot sauce was red-hot which is completely unauthentic.

I have no evidence that the queasiness I felt all night was because of last night's dinner. My son's stomach hurt as well and he ate at the restaurant with me.

The restaurant's website says "Visit our corner of Palestine and the Midwest." I've had falafel in the Muslim quarter of Jerusalem and believe me, this is serious Midwest falafel, not Palestinian.

1  Thank Sam F
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I went there last year and had meal there was horrible I think there are other places are better for the money and can't believe I even went there.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Great food and a great value. The falafel gets a lot of justifiable praise, and I also love their fattoush salad and lentil soup. Staff is very friendly and service is always good. Jerusalem Garden and Ali Baba are my two favorite Mediterranean places in town (generally prefer the vegetarian options here and the meat options at Ali Baba). Highly recomend checking out Jerusalem Garden!

2  Thank Mark N
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Very quick in and out (unlike Zingerman's). Good quality white meat chicken on their chicken shawarma, but felt it was a little bland. The yogurt sauce could have used more garlic, and some harissa or other hot sauce would have been a nice touch.