“Overpriced, overcooked, understaffed and rude not recommended.”
Review of Gourmet Garden

Gourmet Garden
Ranked #204 of 594 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Chinese
“Overpriced, overcooked, understaffed and rude not recommended.”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

First of all, I'm not at all a picky eater nor am I pickey on service, but boy was this place BAD. The bad service started when they tried to cram 8 of us into a table of 5 and became a bit rude to move us to a different table. But anyways they kept walking away during our ordering and where very rude overall. The food was another thing, I ordered what looked to be good but when bit came out it was a very small portion and a bit cold. I wish it was better because it was good. The won ton soup was watered down and the spring roll over fried. I'd avoid this place and try some of the better restaurant's in downtown Ann Arbor.

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Best in town for Chinese”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Best ingredients, best taste and very quality dishes. Huge variety. Not great atmosphere, but worth it for the food. They do a great take-out business too.

Visited December 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Mediocre”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Service was very poor. Food came out piecemeal (party of 10). Had to get our own Soy sauce. Plates not cleared by server (did it ourselves). Three of us ordered the same item and got three different portion sizes. Mediocre main. Good cold noodles.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Gregory S
Farmington Hills, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible customer service, inconsistent portion sizes”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've eaten here on previous occasions without incident, and the food isn't bad, if a bit overpriced.

I ordered the Sesame Beef, which is in their "house specialties" section, a bit more expensive than the other menu sections.

A person who dined with me ordered another dish from the same section. Her dish came out on a LARGE plate, with a plentiful portion. Mine arrived on the same sized plate, but literally was less than half the size. I'm guessing less than 4 ounces of beef were involved. Right away, I told the waitress that this dish is too small to be worth the price they want, to take it back and bring me a menu so I could reorder.

They reluctantly took the dish away, and I could hear arguing in Chinese with several different people in the background.

At this point, all wait staff ignored me. It had been 15 minutes since I had a menu but nobody would come over to me, despite making direct eye contact and me waving them over. I got up and scolded the manager, asking "how do I go about getting someone to answer my questions and take my order".

She finally came over and didn't want to answer any questions, just wanted to know what I wanted to order. I did want to ask about portion size, but at this point I was too angry to even eat. NOTHING makes me more upset at a restaurant than being deliberately ignored or treated improperly.

I walked out, telling the manager "you had your chance, and you just permanently lost a customer".

I'm told the friends I was dining with had a large blowup argument with the manager after that, with them REFUSING TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE a problem with them. They kept wanting to charge me for the dish I sent back, wanting to put it into a takeout container. All they had to do was offer an additional half-order of the sesame beef to have been fair. Instead, they took the "stand your ground" route and pissed off customers. Loudly.

So the problems with this restaurant:

1: inconsistent portion sizes. Nothing on the menu clues you in on this.

2: In their minds, management can do no wrong and remains blameless and entitled. They will not even attempt to rectify the situation and make the customer happy.

If things go smoothly at this place, the food is actually decent. But their defiant lack of care for the customer makes this place a MUST AVOID in my book.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rob P
Clarkston, Michigan
“Lunch special”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Love the lunch specials at Gournmet Garden. Sweet & Sour Chicken is excellent as is the eggplant dishes. You cannot beat the Great prices offered on the lunch specials!!!

Visited October 2013