“Can't beat their rouladen!”

Metzgers German Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 600 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We've lived in Germany. We come to Metzger's when we need the fix of authentic German cooking. We love their side dishes like red cabbage, spatzle and cucumber salad. We first tasted rouladen when we lived in Germany. Only served Friday, Saturday and Sunday Metzger's rouladen is tender and very flavorful. It beats most that we tasted in Germany!

Good German draft beer is on tap. With all the good food we rarely make room for dessert - but we are partial to the Black Forest Cherry Torte.

Go and enjoy. You won't go home hungry!

2  Thank GoBlue0617
There are newer reviews for Metzgers German Restaurant

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I've been enjoying Metzger's atmosphere and food since we were students at U of M in the late 1960s. We eat there now about once a year when we are back in the Ann Arbor area. What is for us the "new" location is very convenient to the traveler even if you are staying east on I 94 of US 23. We ate there this year on Father's Day and at 6:30 the place was packed. We waited about 15 minutes and then were offered a booth. I am disabled and can't get out of a booth once seated without help. We told the manager that and said we'd go somewhere else. Despite the fact that given that they had been slammed since probably 2 o'clock, every employee was clearly getting tired, closing time was only about an hour away and they surely didn't need to sell two more dinners and drinks he assured us that he'd help me up and get someone from the kitchen if necessary. He helped us to the booth and our waitress was right there. I was amazed at the efficiency of the service and the fact that the quality of the food was in no way compromised despite nearing closing after serving a packed house most of the afternoon. So, the service is fantastic and what we experienced Sunday is typical. The atmosphere is pleasant with a German/Bavarian theme which works despite the location in a strip mall. The food has always been great. We usually have a German sausage dish, weinerschnitzel, but this time I decided to try the fresh perch. it was lightly breaded and panned fried. The flavor was fantastic. The accompanying German fried potatoes were tasty and the fresh salad was a perfect complement to the main course.. My wife had cabbage rolls. There were two of them with fresh tomato sauce. They were large so she took one home. The draft beer selection is skewed toward German, but that selection is varied in terms of type from pilsner through lager to dark beer. The wine list is comprehensive and the full bar has a nice selection of top shelve liquors. Metzgers has been an Ann Arbor tradition for more than 60 years, one I hope you will share if you haven't already.

2  Thank Ml W
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I've been here a few times, all have been good. When we were searching for a restaurant for graduation weekend, there were only a few that could accommodate our large party and our diverse tastes. Their fish sandwich is one of the best I've had, the Ruben is above most, and there aren't that many places you can get liver and onions anymore, service is pretty consistently good, the German decor and atmosphere adds to a pleasant dining ambience. It's a well run restaurant that has a long track record.

1  Thank Amge55
Reviewed May 7, 2014

A great place to go with your family! The atmosphere is warm and the waiters are welcoming. The food is all home made and hearty! You will leave Metzgers with a full belly, and a happy mood.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We sat at the bar on a Sunday and enjoyed the company of a very nice bartender and simply delicious, very fresh food. My husband insists the Weiner Schnitzel was the best he has ever had. The beer selection was terrific as well as the drinks I had ordered.