“Nice staff and good food”

Blue Nile of Ann Arbor
Ranked #135 of 609 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014

It was a nice change of pace. The staff was very nice and the veggie dish was as surprisingly good! Nice flavors and nothing too crazy. The greens were my favorite. Good for a small group to taste test and chat over drinks!

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

The Blue Nile is conveniently located in Ann Arbor's downtown. This Ethiopian fare is not only a place to satisfy your hunger but an experience to enjoy. It harvests the perfect setting for enjoying the company you are with as everyone shares a meal cooked the native way.
The Injera (Ethiopian bread) is used as your utensil to scoop each delicious bite from the community plate. Foods such as lentils, cabbage, potatoes, and beans line the perimeter while and the meat sets in the center. An all can dig in. It's an experience you don't want to pass up!
I would also highly recommend a bottle of their Tej Honey wine to compliment the meal with a sweet, clean finish. You will not be disappointed and the memories made not quickly forgotten.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I'm a Washington, DC native and I loved going to the many Ethiopian restaurants in the city, home to a thriving Ethiopian community. I loved the inerja bread and the Ethiopian women serving were really beautiful and quite proud of their country and their cuisine. I've been wanting to go to the Blue Nile for years now, here in Ann Arbor and my roommate convinced me to go. We went last night and there were no beautiful Ethiopian waitresses serving, but we did get served by a tag team of one very attentive efficient Chinese waiter and a tall gorgeous waiter named Scott.

I couldn't find traditional Ethiopian honey wine on the wine list, so I just ordered beer. I guess I could've asked? My fault. The waiters explained in detail the eating process and menu selections. The meals were "all you can eat", but we paid an extra $5.00 each to have lamb added. Scott first brought out the vegetable selections on a big plate, along with inerja bread used to scoop up the food by hand. (no silverware here!) I've tasted and loved the light brown inerja bread with spices in the DC restaurants, but the Blue Nile's inerja bread was white, and gummy and not appealing. They first stuff you with that and the vegetables, and later bring the meats. I'm already getting full, so asking for "all you can eat" was not an option for me. Some of the veggies were great, others not so much. The spicy chicken was yummy, but regular chicken was bland. Worst of all, was the lamb...a big disappointment. It was rubbery and tasteless, not worth the extra $5.00. Scott graciously presented us with a nice selection of desserts, and my roomie asked for the sorbet. We were surprised it was pre-scooped into the glass bowl and frozen, so he had to let it thaw for a while. If you want to truly taste Ethiopian food, the Blue Nile will give you an idea of what it's like, but the truly good Ethiopian cuisine is in Washington, DC

1  Thank chrisDTW
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Authentic Ethiopian food. Fresh food. Things you need to know: You'll wash your hands with a soothing warm cloth before you eat and when the meal is over. You eat with your hands; there is no silverware, so if you're going with someone you're not that comfortable with, be forewarned. The 'plates' are actually the bread because the food is placed in small piles all around the bread. You tear the bread and scoop up the food. Scrumptious! I can't eat spicy food, and this restaurant is great because there's a wide variety of 'heat' on each plate...something for everyone in our family. Great service, clean, and comfy. I see they've added a jazz piano on the weekends, which was a nice touch.

1  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I am trying to to remember from my old experience, may be 5 years old. This was our first Ethiopian restaurants. We wanted to try something different and we ended up going to this place. Its almost Indian style eating - wash hands before eating, eat with hands, no spoon at all and you are provided with chapati or Injera.

First time, and we liked it. Ambiance was also quite different and tasteful.