“Delicious food / Fun experience”

Blue Nile of Ann Arbor
Ranked #120 of 600 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and I love eating at the Blue Nile. The food is simple and so delicious. Simply order the Ethiopian Feast (if you are a meat eater, if not, get the Vegetarian Feast) and a few minutes later this big tray of tastebud delights is in the middle of your table, waiting to be enjoyed! The Ethiopian Feast consists of chicken, spicy chicken, spicy beef and lamb (ordered and paid for separately).

Around the meat are many wonderful veggie/legume choices, many cooked in the Blue Niles own, authentic berbere sauce. (Check out their site to read more about the actual veggies/legumes themselves. While there, you can also read about their healthy cooking techniques. www.bluenilemi.com) All of this amazing food is eaten not with utensils, but with injera (Ethiopian bread). It is soft and spongy and you simply rip a piece off and use the bread to scoop up some of the yummy goodness.

My family and I love to eat here. When my inlaws come in from out of town, this is the first place they want to visit, and we always do! It is great for families or a night out for two. If you are not afraid to try something new, you will love it! Oh, and it is all you can eat. When your tray runs low, just let them know what you want more of and in a blink of an eye, more will be at your table!

1  Thank Meesh-in-A2
There are newer reviews for Blue Nile of Ann Arbor

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We've been coming here for years and typically have a great experience. However, the last two visits proved that the service isn't what it used to be and the wait to get refills makes the value a bit disappointing. On our last trip over the weekend, we were sat promptly though we're ignored for over 10 minutes. After asking the host for help, he indicated our server would be with us soon. What bothered us most was that there were other servers with a bit more time to assist and also the host and the manager who could of at least gotten us drinks while we waited. The food was good once we finally got it but refills took a long time. The Saturday night entertainment was nice but basic, courteous service should not be overlooked. Really hope they consider the value of teamwork in making sure customers are paid attention to. There are lots of other restaurants in Ann Arbor ready to put the customer first.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I went here for dinner when I was in Ann Arbor for a couple of days visiting the University.

The food was delicious. I highly recommend you try the Ethiopian Feast. They bring you a big platter of various foods in the middle and then some ethiopian bread to rip and use to scoop up the food. I never knew I liked Lentils so much, the spicy Lentils were delicious, as was the beef and the chicken.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The food is pretty good - we only took the vegetarian this time which is delicious, especially the mustard greens - and the meat was good before too. I think the veggies are cooked in butter or something like that, very slippery, and later gave heartburn which I have extremely rarely. So my sense is, since you have to eat a lot of the spongy bread, and the veggies are smothered in butter, it isn't really that healthy - you get a lot of empty fat and empty carbs with this meal.

They were very nice and served us hot water on request... rare in the US. And when we told them we had to be somewhere soon were quick in asking for refills and quick with the bill

You can choose to sit at a Table or over a basket. Waiters/waitresses are mostly Caucasians dressed in Ethiopian clothes, an electric pianist played modern music - so its a bit eclectic.

I went there with a coupon that comes on the back of UMS tickets - it was accepted but only per person - so I should have brought two coupons for 20% off. But last performance of UMS we got two different coupons for two different restaurants. Usually such coupons are for the table, but no, not here.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

When friends come to town this is where we go. The vegetarian platter is scrumptious. Make sure to ask for the Ethiopian spice tea either hot or iced.