“Reliably delicious!”

Ranked #289 of 595 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Thai
“Reliably delicious!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recently I realized I have been dining here on a weekly basis for over fifteen years. Siam Kitchen, or Old Siam as a lot of people call it, is a reliable and much beloved restaurant.

I usually get the tofu and broccoli in a chile and garlic sauce. It is outstanding. The deep fried tofu develops a wonderful texture and the sauce just sings with a bright and complex flavor. I generally don't order tofu elsewhere, but this is a really terrific dish. My son loves the Mongolian beef, and it too has terrific flavor, and is brightened up by a tiny bit of scallions. We both enjoy the pad thai and it tastes like the kind of food a family member would make for someone who is very loved.

I have gone to this restaurant with colleagues, friends, family members and by myself. I often do takeout and frequently run into friends or acquaintances. I've gone to plenty of Thai restaurants in town and elsewhere, but find this is by far my favorite. It has a very loyal following and once you've been there, you should understand why.

• Visited June 2013

Albion, MI
“Worst Thai I've ever eaten”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've been to many many Thai places and when I travel I make it a point to look on trip advisor to see what the top rated Thai restuarants are and see what's written. I have yet to be disappointed....until now. I ordered the Chicken Pad Thai and it LOOKED like typical chicken Pad Thai but 1 bite into it I realized something was missing. Literally. It's as if they completely forgot to mix in the seasoning. It had the chicken, the egg, the alfalfa sprouts but absolutely NO FLAVOR. I think they forgot to add the seasoning. I could taste the egg & the chicken but it had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Extremely disappointed with my dinner

• Visited April 2013
Michigan
“Come for the best Thai food in Ann Arbor”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food here is spectacular. We won't eat Thai food anywhere else in Ann Arbor. We have been going at least once a month for years. Favorites include the Siam rolls (like spring rolls) which you can get vegie style or with shrimp. I like the shrimp version even better. We always order #56 -- the shrimp with chili paste and #57 -- chicken with roasted cashews (you could substitute tofu). What sets this restaurant apart from others in Ann Arbor are details like actually roasting the cashews. I don't know how they do the sauce for the shrimp with chili paste, but it's extraordinary. Another winner is #62: shrimp in a sweet chili sauce with finely shredded bamboo shoots. The regular Pad Thai is also not to be missed. Don't bother to spend the extra $5 for the super Pad Thai. Other winners include Hum Beef (a salad of marinated flank steak), sizzling beef (although the beef is a bit tough) I enjoy the curries -- I don't find them better than other places, but certainly as good. Service can be spotty. Sometimes the waiters are rude. One night there was a misunderstanding about our order, and I had to insist on speaking to the manager before they grudgingly agreed to bring us the dish that I thought we had ordered. Since then, we make a habit of confirming every dish as we order. So don't go for the atmosphere or to chat up the wait staff. Just go because the food is fabulous. By the way, this restaurant is now called The Old Siam by Siam Kitchen. Always double-check to make sure that they are open. Hours are more limited during the summer. Also, because this is a family-run business, they close down when they take vacation.

• Visited August 2012
“Good Thai”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Love the Mongolian Beef here as well as the Pad Thai. The food is consistent and served hot. You know it is a good Asian choice when a student from Thailand takes you there as a treat!

Visited September 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“My favorite Thai restaurant in Ann Arbor”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This place has the best food, though the service is a bit slow. I usually order Tofu Ho Ra Par (with stir-fried eggplant, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes) - it's amazing, and nobody else in the area seems to have it! Other dishes are very good too.

Visited April 2011