“Great food, exquisite service!”

The Chop House - Ann Arbor
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Ann Arbor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 600 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Liberty and William
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family recently took me to the Chop House to celebrate a landmark birthday. We were hesitant, at first, to choose a restaurant with simple, basic, menu choices, but we were not disappointed. To begin, the ambiance was much like an upscale French bistro, with many impressionist-style paintings adorning the walls. It was evident from when our well-trained server first greeted us, that the principle of service matters in this establishment—casually elegant without being prissy or pretentious.
I was surprised that they did not offer my favored aperitif, "Lillet," but was delighted to substitute a St. Germain cocktail (made with elderflower liqueur and champagne).
This restaurant obtains the "first catch of the day," coming from Foley's Wholesale in Boston, with which we are familiar. The seared scallops, which I ordered as a first course, were "dry," meaning, they had not been brined in tri-polyposphate, which is often used as a preservative and tastes like bicarbonate of soda. The meat cuts are prime and aged. While I had a beef tenderloin fillet, my husband and daughter each ordered venison, with two different preparations. Absolutely suburb! Incidentally, if you want your meat to be rare, this is one establishment that knows how to do it.
This restaurant is committed to a standard of flawless service in every detail. They intend from the start to please the customer.
Although we did not order dessert, the staff knew that this was a birthday celebration; at the end of the meal, they honored me with their own special creation "plat" to honor the occasion.

2  Thank Sara H
There are newer reviews for The Chop House - Ann Arbor

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I returned again for the beef Wellington which is always excellent. Wine recommendations by our favorite server Morgan. She is always on the mark and makes every visit enjoyable. I find her memory for names and preferences amazing.
Settings are precise, food excellent and dessert a must. I find them to be amazingly consistent. I will always look forward to Ann Arbor visits to the Chop House!

What more can I say. Also creamed corn and au gratin potatoes are great.

2  Thank Bluff99
Reviewed July 23, 2014

What can I say? I feel like I luckily stumbled upon a true gem. it was one of the more memorable meals I have had in a very long time. I sat at the bar and had just perfect service (Becky is a truly great server) and lots of help with ordering and making sure they could accomodate my food allergy. I intended to eat steak and was so intrigued by their menu that I wound up ordering everything but. I could not restrain myself and ordered way too much food for one person. And ate every bite.

The cheese plate was enormous, delicious and adorned wtih nuts, bread and honey. Stunningly beautiful and enormous! I also ordered the Kale and Quinoa Salad, which was just mmmmmmm..... i cannot say enough about how flavorful it was! And yeah, I kept on eating. Tuna tacos. Holy cow. I just FED that night, but I had traveled all day without eating and it was worth every calorie.

The meal was so impressive that I actually took pics of my food. I never do that. I really dont like food pictures.... and yet I snapped some.

This was my first time in Ann Arbor for business and I am so lucky I found this place. I literally cannot wait to go back. And maybe even have some steak.

2  Thank bonsai35
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The food here was very good, and the service was fine too.

Portions were a bit over the top for me, but otherwise would recommend.

They had a few gimmicks too - electronic menus, and some kind of weird synchronised serving "dance", but I guess you can ignore those and focus on the food!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We are pretty picky eaters especially at steak houses. The Cowboy Steak was very good although slightly not as thick as I was expecting. The wife's Chop House chop salad was outstanding as was the side of French Onion soup and creamed corn. Our server (Lori) was outstanding.

1  Thank Judge_Smails-BR