“Pricey but excellent food and service”

The Chop House - Ann Arbor
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Ann Arbor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 600 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Liberty and William
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is one of Ann Arbor's priciest restaurants. They have superb food and outstanding service and don't seem to mind if you dress casually. The menu is definitely American. I only go here when we have a gift card because there are other places with food that is just as good. The electronic menu with photos of the entrees is a fund gadget once you figure out how to use it. We have never had a disappointing meal.

There are newer reviews for The Chop House - Ann Arbor

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had the Beef Wellington and Steak Poivre. The food is top quality. The service is not up to par relative to the prices. They try hard but are inexperienced (I think our waiter was 22). We were not comfortable asking questions as they were often vaguely answered. The atmosphere was good. I hate to be too critical but when the total tab for two with salads, wine,one dessert, and tip comes in just under $250, you expect more. If you charge New York City prices, you have to deliver and exceed NYC quality (Ann Arbor rents are high but they're not Midtown).

Another example was the last impression. My wife returned from the restroom smelling of cigar smoke. Like many women, she does take a while in the restroom but I am confident she didn't stop for a stogie. She had indicated that, to go to the restroom, one must proceed through the cigar bar. She thought it unusual and not very appealing.

None of this detracted from a very pleasant evening. The food was very good, the servers were polite, courses were timed well, etc. However, not sure I would return to drop 2-3 bills.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have ate at the chop house several times now and have never been disappointed. The food is always superb

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Meh. If I want a food grilled steak, grilled asparagus, and baked potato, I can make that at home. Point is, everything is "good" but nothing feels like it was expertly prepared by a creative chef.
Not worth the price to me.

1  Thank BellaAnnArbor
Reviewed February 14, 2013

DO NOT SUPPORT THIS BUSINESS!!!

We planned our annual "Classy Christmas" party at the Chop House this year to reunite several high school friends and family. We rented the room in the basement meant for 40 people. We had no problem filling it. We were told the minimum to get the room for free was "21 people." We all order dinner and dessert. When we were finished with our entree, we asked for the bill assuming dessert was still on its way. The dessert never came and we had a surprise +$500 added to the bill due to us "not meeting the requirement for the free room." We talked to the manager to no avail. Marcus was acting extremely childish and unprofessional. I will NEVER give this establishment my business again. The food is alright, the service is alright, but this place takes advantage of you. Not to mention the overall quality was just mediocre. DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT.

8  Thank Sean M