“More than just Mexican”

Cuisines: American, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

had lunch combo during A2 restaurant week for $7.50 ! Food and Service very good, menu includes Salvadoran Pupusas, Peruvian Ceviche, Cuban night, $1 Taco Night.....will be back

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Looking for some Mexican/Latin cuisine, other choices were closed. No prior knowledge or recommendations either way, passing through as out of town guests and we enjoy supporting local establishments. We arrived, gave our drink order, but had to ask for chips and salsa. We received one tiny basket and a half full soup cup of salsa. The menu states that the first basket of chips/salsa is free, and additional servings are $3.00. However, it seems unfair that a party of 2 receives the same amount of chips and salsa that a family of 6 receives. Should have left at that point but we pressed on against our better judgment. Waitress was barely able to speak English, she was unable to tell my wife if the chicken in the dishes was white or dark meat, we never got the question answered. Probably a concern, since the menu actually warns you to ask questions because if you dont like the food, "you will be paying full price"! Never seen anything like it on a menu, plus everything was a la carte and just a money grab.

Dinners were horrible, the chicken nachos were covered with gloppy chicken that appeared to have been boiled, plus covered with carrots (Really!) and giant strips of jalapeno, not the typical sliced jalapeno rings. No salsa was served with the nachos; server said she would bring some but never did. The wet burrito was ordered with shredded beef. I was unable to find any beef after several bites of just beans and rice, so I did some digging. Inspection revealed 10-12 tiny chunks of beef, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter, to go with the pound of junk beans and rice. Kids' entrees were overpriced and also mediocre.

We can accept bad service if the food is good, and can forgive some kitchen errors if the server and management is understanding. Neither of these were present, from the indifferent staff to the high prices and the terrible food I wonder how Ann Arborites continue to keep this place going.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stopped in for lunch at this casual, sit down restaurant on the northern edge of downtown Ann Arbor. Parking is no fun, but a metered spot was available not too far away.
Friendly server. A good number of tables sat within the two, connected store-front spaces. Nothing special as far as decor.
Maybe I'm a sucker for distinctive meal options, but I liked the variety that ranged from the common (e.g. $7 burrito), to an interesting (authentic?) taco, to ceviche. I had a $10 tamale plate, that came with two large ones, beans and rice. Not cheap, not outrageous.
I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that there were a reasonable number of unique - perhaps authentic to Latin America - nicely prepared and tasty dishes. Certainly worth a try. I couldn't call it average, so 4 stars.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had lunch at Sabor Latino for the 1st time in 15 years. I know now that I haven't missed much. This is OK "pan-Latin" food. I knew not to judge it against a Mexican restaurant. I enjoyed my Salvadoran Pupusas ($10, with pork al pastor) and had more than I could finish. My friends all had variations of tacos ($2.25/ea)from the a la carte menu. The chicken tacos and veggie tacos were good. The one who had fish tacos said they were the worst ever - meat was ground up and oversalted. She also ordered a small cup of habanero slaw ($2) which was inedible it was so hot. She cooks regularly with habaneros and can handle heat, but this was off the chart.

The worst part was the service. We had difficulty getting beverage refills. We got a tiny bowl of chips and about 1/4 cup of very bland salsa for free. Not enough for 4 people. We asked for more chips and salsa plus some hotter salsa if they had it. It turns out that another bowl of chips is $1.50, additional mild salsa is $1.50. And the spicier salsa trio, which was brought to us nearly empty, was $1 or so more. We made a very bad assumption that like other restaurants, these cheap-to-provide "goodwill" items were no additional cost. If you read the ENTIRE menu you can see the add-on prices, but we stopped reading after we picked our entrees and then the menus were gone. The server wasn't too sympathetic about anything. These are the kinds of responses we got:

Us: The fish tacos aren't good. Server: Oh, that's too bad. [walks away]
Us: This salsa trio came almost empty. Server: Oh we don't give you much because it just goes to waste.
Server: Oh, so you really didn't like the fish tacos? Us: No, they're way too salty and mushy. Can you do anything for me? Server: Uh, I don't know. [Comes back from kitchen] Oh yeah, they just tasted it and agree the fish is too salty. I'll bring you a new taco.
Us: This slaw is inedible. It's so hot that you can't even enjoy it. Server: Yep, I told you it was hot. [walks away instead of offering to replace it. It's cabbage. It's cheap.]

We were really upset at all this. All the refill charges and high prices for little cheap things that would make customers happier if you just got them for free like everywhere else. We were angry that the server was "Like, I told you so" or "Well you just didn't read the menu. Our policies are there." He only helped my friend with the bad food when she pressed it ... and in the end he "comped" us the extra chips and salsa "for her trouble". Then he said "See, this time your refills are free and the next time you'll know better."

I won't be back here any time soon. Too many "policies" to read before ordering. I can get beans, rice, tortillas, and salsa at a dozen places within 10 miles (including home) and get treated 5x better at half the price. If you do go, make sure you read everything and ask questions.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went on a tuesday night while visiting AA, was a little loud but thats only because of two really rude tables that the restaurant had no control over. We got $1 tacos $2 corona and even a $1 shot of jose quervo. Our sever was really nice (unfortunately I don't remember his name). Great place to bring friends and have a good time. I don't recommend kids, at least on Tuesday. Also get the hard shell tacos, they come with more toppings than soft shell.