“Best outdoor dining in A2, but different menu from indoors”
Review of Palio

Palio
Reserve with OpenTable
Palio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 600 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Previous Next Authentic Tuscan Dishes Born in September of 1991, Palio is a country-style, Italian restaurant featuring authentic Tuscan dishes. Named for the famous horse race that runs yearly through Siena, Italy, a record is even kept of the race's winners on a mural along the back dining room wall. During summer, Palio boasts Ann Arbor's largest and most popular outdoor gathering spot on its rooftop patio - Palio Del Sole. Offering the best view of Ann Arbor's energetic downtown nightlife, Palio Del Sole is fully equipped with its own cucina and offers a unique menu that is completely different from Palio downstairs. There simply is no better Al Fresco dining experience on a warm summer evening in Ann Arbor.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The outdoor rooftop patio, called Palio del sol, I believe, is the nicest outdoor eating spot in Ann Arbor. My dh agrees. It is quiet, being well above the street, and there are umbrellas and arbors for shade, plus hanging plants. The only downside is that is has its own kitchen, and the menu is much more limited then Palio downstairs. There are no beef dishes, 2 fish options (both were good) and 1 chicken dish. The rest were pasta. It is rather pricey, for pasta. There are many more options inside.

The other downside is that the rooftop is first come first served, i.e. no reservations, unlike inside, where they are accepted. If you get there before 6 on a weekend you probably will not have a wait.

The service was attentive.

The food is good, but we really love the outdoor patio for the ambiance.

2  Thank Amy J
There are newer reviews for Palio

Reviewed March 9, 2014

If you are in Summer, you must go upstairs and enjoy the upper patio!
Nice environment and good food.

2  Thank QuequeS
Reviewed March 4, 2014

8 of us met at Palio's to celebrate a birthday and we had such a great time! Mainly, this was due to our eternally patient and attentive waiter TOM. As the evening went on, we drank every last bottle of 'Super Tuscan' in the place (literally!). Tom came to let us know they only had one bottle left, and did we want it? YES!
The food was tasty but our table was in a bit of main thoroughfare and I got bumped into a few times.
When Tom came around with the dessert tray, everyone got the Tiramisu. Yum. No one ordered the raspberry sorbet, even though the drunkest among us asked Tom to go find out if it had red dye in it. (FYI: It didn't!) Tom took it all in stride and didn't act annoyed one bit, what a professional! It was a perfect evening!

1  Thank AdrienneSip
Reviewed February 14, 2014

went today for Valentines day, took our 23m old and he was amazingly well behaved thankfully but we received pretty much no service. the waitress was checking the other 2 tables next to us but not us.. I had to flag her down, maybe we were discriminated because we brought a kid or because we are an asian/white family? who knows but the service was bad and there really was no excuse for it since when we got there it was not super busy yet. Not to mention my noodles were over cooked, tasted terrible and my sons tortelini sauce tasted worse than jar sauce. We went once in Sept and it was good, what happened? not sure why but I feel like we got left overs from the day before and we were disregarded maybe because we brought a little one on valentines day.. either way we will never be back there ever. Worst dining experience in Ann Arbor and it is not excusable. now I can see people being annoyed if our little one was screaming but he thankfully was just perfect the whole entire time not causing a problem, but the waitress seemed to have an issue with us we left very unsatisfied . I feel like I need to spread the word about this place, do not go if you want bad service and bad italian food.

1  Thank 875stephs
Reviewed January 19, 2014

First time dining here. Service was very good but food disappointed. The calamari was tasteless. I don't need my calamari fried, but some flavoring would be nice. Also could do without the tentacles on my plate. My glass of Sangria was loaded with ice and watery. Entrees were OK - Bolognese decent but bland. I have had better Tiramisu across the street.