“I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt”

Real Seafood Company - Ann Arbor
Reserve with OpenTable
Real Seafood Company - Ann Arbor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 609 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Liberty and William
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I ate here a couple of nights ago with friends, all of whom ordered something different. No one raved about their dishes, though one said he was happy spending the extra money ($3) to have his fish prepared Shanghai style (thought, to be fair, he never complains about his food and is very free with his compliments - since this was his only compliment I take that as a less than a full vote of confidence). For starters we had the fried calamari ($11) and the crab and artichoke dip ($9). The calamari was sliced thickly and came with a nice sauce. The portion wasn’t as large as most restaurants serve. The crab dip was good, though the tortilla chips were very thin (need to use a utensil to apply the dip to the chip) and very salty. A couple of us had the New England clam chowder ($5). While it had a reasonable amount of clams in it, I have to say I’ve never had a clam chowder like this before. If it had flour in it there wasn’t. The broth was very thin for a chowder and I’ve never tasted any clam chowder like it. I can’t describe it other than to say there was a very slight sour note that I’m hoping was intended. In lieu of the slaw with my dinner, I elected to get the Caesar salad for an up-charge of $2. One had the option of getting an anchovy strip on top of the salad, which I did. The romaine was chopped into small bits and there were probably not more than six of seven croutons, which was fine with me. The noteworthy thing about this salad is that it didn’t have the traditional Caesar dressing on it. I’m not sure how it was dressed, as there wasn’t much, but it was obviously clear (or too little to be noticed). While the salad wasn’t bad, it didn’t have the Caesar taste I expect. For the main I order the Atlantic salmon ($23) and elected to have it blackened. That was a big mistake. The salmon was very thin and all I could taste was the spice. Given the amount of spice and the thinness of the fish, I could have been eating anything. As my side I ordered the mixed vegetables, but received the rice. Another at my table ordered the rice but got the vegetables. The error was corrected quickly. The vegetables were very good, though some of the onion slices were so thin that they came out as paper thin black strips from being sautéed too long. I do want to commend the service. It was friendly, responsive and prompt.

In summary, my experience may not be representative of the overall state of affairs at this restaurant and I may have ordered a perfect storm of dishes that didn’t please my taste. I have to assume that others like the New England clam chowder and Caesar salads here or they wouldn’t continue to prepare them as they do.

If you found this review helpful, I will appreciate a Yes vote below.

Thanks for reading.

1  Thank dskid

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just had dinner and the food was disappointing. Pan fried Perch was white, limp and flat tasting, with undercooked roasted vegetables. Seafood Pasta had pre-cooked Salmon with gritty Scallops in it. My dish was the Scallops Special, nice presentation but the Scallops were very gritty with sand. The Manhattan Clam Chowder had very little seafood, but the broth tasted good. Great with the bread, thank god for the bread! Last 2 times the food was good. Sorry to say, we won't be back anymore. Better restaurants for the money.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been going to Real Sea Food for 10 years during various visits to Ann Arbor. Each time it doesn't disappoint, you get a great meal at an okay price. During my last visit I had the Michigan white fish with cherries which was great, one of the best fish meals. Their bread is a 4/5 star which is always a nice add to a meal. This last visit I noticed they added a tablet for a menu which was sort of cool, but didn't add that much to the meal.

It is a little over priced for what you get but for Ann Arbor, I can't complain. It will always be near the top of the list of places to visit in AA.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have dined here for many years. The seafood is well prepared and they have a great house salad. During the warm months they open up the front windows for an outdoor seating feel. We are happy with the portion sizes as well as the length of the menu.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've been going to this restaurant for years, but I probably won't be going again. We had a reservation requesting a table near the front of the restaurant. Not only did we NOT get a table anywhere near the front, we were seated literally right outside the bathroom doors. My husband could see the legs of the ladies in the the bathroom stalls every time the door opened. The tables in the restaurant were so crammed together we could barely make our way to our seats. Service was lackluster and slow. The restaurant was very noisy. The menus were on some ipad-like device, which was interesting, but we felt compelled to clean our hands after handling them. The food was OK, but I woke up at 2AM with acute gastritis requiring a bucket at the bedside, which I feel must be related to the raw oysters I dined on at 7PM I'm sad to say that I've crossed this restaurant off my list..