“A nightmare of a visit”
Review of Gratzi

Gratzi
Reserve with OpenTable
Gratzi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 592 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Gratzi, an elegant Italian restaurant with distinct style, was founded in downtown Ann Arbor, Mich. in December 1987. Formerly the Orpheum Theater, which screened the most popular movies of the day in the 1930s, Gratzi maintains the flair of the dramatic history still preserved today in the restaurant's elegant décor and ambience. Seated above Gratzi's bar is a grand sculpture of Orpheus himself, the great poet and musician, overlooking dining room guests, while a beautifully painted Renaissance-style mural depicting an ancient bacchanal reinforces the indulgent and purely pleasurable atmosphere. Indulge in the purely pleasurable atmosphere and savor unique flavors of regional Italian cuisine and wine.
Windsor, Ontario
“A nightmare of a visit”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We've been going to Grazi for about 20 years now and last night was sadly the last time I'll ever go there again. The place has changed beyond recognition, slowly going downhill over the years. First, I asked for a cocktail without any added sugar ..my expensive drink came with sugar anyway ! No one came to ask if it was OK. Then I ordered the Chicken Marsala. God, it was awful. The chicken had been coated in too much flour and the flour was not cooked which meant that the sauce and chicken were disgusting, I didn't eat much... only some vegetables. Someone came to clear the plate away and asked if I wanted it boxed. I said 'no' but I was not asked why I had not eaten the dish or if everything was OK. Clearly they were not interested in my opinion. So we had a very expensive meal that was awful. I also agree with other reviewers that the tablet did not enhance my experience. I'm very tech savvy but found it annoying to have to keep going back to the menu tab to see the various options. Sometimes high-tech is not the way to go.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
New Jersey
“Good food, beautiful place”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had dinner after my daughter's graduation. The service was exceptional. The food was very good. The ambiance was terrific. The only problem was the reservations. They couldn't find it even though we had a confirmation email. They let us in anyway. And earlier, when I called to try to make a change, the man was pretty close to rude.

Visited May 2013
“get an ipad please”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

gratzi is a perfectly decent, reliable, old favorite italian restaurant in ann arbor's main street food ghetto. but they are presenting their menu on an unidentified "tablet" which is awkward and unattractive, unlike the smooth, well-mannered ipads we have come to love.

the beast itself is ugly, not appropriate for a more or less high-end eatery. the interface is poorly designed with bad typography and navigation and the lurid color photos with the dish you might want to order are reminiscent of those that come with lower-end asian digs (the "firecracker roll" for example, not that there's anything annoying about those in their place).

i see that i am not the only one objecting to this lame attempt to use technology to enhance the dining experience. if you must do this, get the real thing and a real designer, gratzi.

Detroit, Michigan
“Great service and a good italian meal”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a reliably good choice on Ann Arbor's busy main street. Ann Arbor can sometimes strike a visitor as a bit, well, self-possessed of itself. (Call your office, NYC!) That usually spells food that is more attractive to those cooking it than those eating it.

Not so here, where the food is not only good, it is actually Italian.

My recent visit also included excellent service, and good advice on wine (a white that matched the pasta dishes well).

As for the digital menus...you can take them or leave them. I would leave them, but then again, this is Ann Arbor.

Michigan
“Changes For the Worse”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have loved going to Gratzi for 25 years, about twice annually. On our recent visit, we were handed a tablet instead of a paper menu. In addition to the inability to quickly scan the whole menu, you had to click first on a menu item and then again for a description. And it does not enhance the ambiance of a restaurant to have multiple computers at the table. I guess this is considered progress.

One of the things we enjoyed about Gratzi was the fresh, crusty Italian bread, whole loaves of which you would see on the counter, mid-dining room. It is surprising how few restaurants have great bread. Gratzi has replaced its excellent bread with focaccia. In response to our inquiry, we were told there was no plain bread, but that the focaccia is "from Zingerman's." But it is still not fresh, crusty bread.

We selected the grilled vegetable appetizer. The restaurant was out of broccolini, so just served 3 of the 4 listed items, without telling us when ordering. Even though we would not have ordered it had we known, we didn't want to make a fuss by sending it back.

On a positive note, were given small glasses of house-made limoncello, resuming the complimentary after-dinner liqueur tradition, many years after no longer serving Sambucca and Frangelico.