“excellent Mexican!!!”
Review of Isalita

Isalita
Reserve with OpenTable
Isalita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 610 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Division
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Awesome menu choices, very good for those with Celiac's or a gluten allergy. Staff was knowledgeable about menu options. Drinks were amazing...Can't wait to go back

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed a recent Saturday night dinner. Had been here once previously for a drink prior to dinner next door at Masi. Had to duck flautas along with the drink and was pleasantly surprised. Decided to return for dinner. It was Saturday night and about a 45min wait. Found 2 seats at the bar after about 15min. Started with the smoked Mahi tostada. It was more like a Mahi salad (like tuna salad) so wasn't like expected but was good. I had the goat Barbacoa which was recommended by the bar tender. My girl friend had the grilled salmon. Both were very good and exceeded expectations. I also had a side of black beans and rice. I could tell the bartender we had was very much into beer and gave descriptions with a bit of detail (which was appreciated). Even the detail to ensure we rec'd a fresh cold glass with each beer was also appreciated.

All in all expectations were exceeded for what you would think of a Mexican restaurant. There definitely is creativity and attention to detail. Definitely would return.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

As Isalita is owned and run by the guy behind Mani I'd been meaning to give this place a try for months. I was not disappointed. Inside it's a little darker and trendier than Mani, though fortunately not quite as noisy. Service was excellent, in fact they seemed overrun with servers, but that's better than having to enduring slow service. Better still, the servers were very knowledgeable about the food and seemed genuinely interested in our opinions.

The food itself was excellent, very tasty and somewhat hot, in the spice sense. We ordered two different taco plates to share - fish and pork belly - and while both were great the pork was the better in our view.

One very minor gripe is that the tacos come three to a plate, which makes sharing a little difficult. Don't most diners come in pairs or fours?

Quantity-wise though, the serving sizes were sufficient and we left satisfied but not stuffed, which is a good thing. As for value to money, I know some might say it's a little expensive for Mexican but you should into account the quality, the ambiance, and the service. Overall, I thought it was very good and definitely plan on returning.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Ann Arbor to see my daughter, and we went here with her and one of her friends. We loved it! Our waiter was smart, friendly, and helpful. My husband said that the fresh margarita (not from mix) was excellent, and we ordered a number of things for the four of us to share: skirt steak tacos, mahi-mahi tacos, enchiladas, guacamole and chips, and plantains. Everything was well-prepared and tasty. We will go back!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My group and I do not often eat Mexican food so there were plenty of questions to ask the waiter, which he patiently answered. The food was delivered quickly and he asked us often how we liked the food. The meal from the sangria to the coconut vanilla ice cream was very good. Now that I have eaten at Isalita, I am more willing to try other Mexican restaurants.

The only problem is that it is noisy.

There is a public parking lot across the street.

Also, the hostesses are very welcoming.

1  Thank Traveler2AM