“debw”

Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel was great. It was very welcoming with coffee, hot water for tea and warm cookies as you entered. The lobby was very clean and check in was easy. We had asked about changing rooms away from the highway and they were very accommodating and NICE about it. The room was beautiful and very clean. The pool and hot tub were clean. The tile is a little slippery, not made for running around best to ensure everyone walks or wears beach shoes. We had added on breakfast to our room and breakfast was very good. We would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debwo
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi debwo,

It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us! I will be sharing your feedback with my team to let them know how much you enjoyed your time here. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for us. We look forward to welcoming you into the hotel again sometime sooon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ann Arbor seems to cater to the family traveler offering very few luxury hotels, but a plethora of extended stay-style properties. The Hilton Garden Inn is one of the more pleasant properties. The hotel is very clean and appears to be relatively new. The staff members are friendly and accommodating. The pool was closed when I stayed.

The hotel offers an OK gym with clean equipment, but not much beyond a treadmill, a weight bench, and a set of dumbells.

Overall, a clean safe place to stay in the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TXBeachPatrol

Hello TXBeachPatrol,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for the hotel. We are so happy that you had the opportunity to join us and enjoy our hotel. In regards to the feedback that you gave on the fitness center - is there any particular equipment that you would have liked to see?

I hope you will have the chance to join us again.

Have a great day,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Me and my girls basketball team stayed here for a fun over-night. I chose this place for the pool and for how close it was to Briarwood Mall. All in all, its a nice place, but I still don't know if I will come back, for a few reasons.

The hotel in itself was build from the ground up and very gorgeous on the inside (my color choice for the outside would of been different) and you can tell from the very new smell and with how modern all the furniture and decor is. The staff were very nice and even the room service gentleman I encountered was incredibly friendly and funny. One lovely lady at check-in told me the incidental authorization would be $25 per room, but when I checked my statement, it was $50 per room. Either they aren't on the same page or I got an authorization that was double without their knowledge. The lobby was very hot for some reason. Almost to the point of being uncomfortable.The rooms were very nice. I did have to turn the heat way down as the thermostat said 79 degrees! I especially liked that there are cubbies in the bathroom counter with a hair dryer and small hand towels. The cubby was the perfect size to keep my bathroom bag and cleared up space on the counter. BUT, definitely ask for a room that does not face the highway! Not that it was a loud roar, but you can definitely hear the highway at night.

The pool seemed great at first. Fun kid activities like basketball, a small slide, things to play with in the water without an additional charge. It was great..... Till you step onto that tile! My 3-1/2 year old daughter was with us as well to go swimming and I couldn't believe how slippery the tile was. I was next to her the whole time, but still felt like I had to hold her hand when she was outside the water. Even some of my basketball girls commented on it, so I told them all to be extremely careful. The girls wanted to swim again a little later at night and I was hesitant to say yes, but I did. Not even 15 minutes in, a little girl, not much older then my daughter who was there earlier in the day, completely slipped and cracked her head on the tile! Me and another mom were very fearful and asked the parents if she was okay. We went back and sat down, only to see that the towel drying off this little girl was filled with blood. The EMT's came fast and it seemed like the desk staff handled it very well. I definitely commend them on that. I really hope that little girl is okay :( I would highly suggest that they look into a different kind of surface, and FAST!

Breakfast was nice. All your standard continental foods and some hot items that were cook to order. The girls really liked that part. But really, 12 and under doesn't eat for free??? Not even 10 and under??? I asked for a paper in the morning, but the desk said that they didn't have any and I could go to the gas station to get one. Thought it was complimentary???

Like I said, all in all, its a nice place. I can't say that I'd be back, though. I'd be too fearful for me, my daughter and other people's safety when it comes to the pool area and it just didn't seem like they had the amenities as some of the other area hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway, and be extremely careful in the pool area!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank David L

Hello Rachael V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I have shared your comments with the rest of my team and the hotel and we will be looking into all of the feedback that you have left. We enjoyed having your and your team at the hotel.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very welcoming. The main reason we selected this hotel was for a chance to let our daughter swim. The pool is great for kids except one thing, the slippery tile surrounding the pool. I saw many children slip and fall and get hurt that were not running or acting unruly but simply walking. My daughter is 4 and I made sure I held her hand the entire time she was outside of the pool and on the tile surrounding the pool. She still managed to keep slipping while walking and if I had not held her hand to catch her she would have fallen and cracked her head. My husband and I even slipped a couple of times while walking but managed to catch ourselves. I have to say that we will not be back again as my daughter is going to want to swim and I feel their pool area is not safe. Overall the hotel was great just not a kid friendly swimming pool.

Room Tip: Don't pick a highway facing room due to the noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bkrystia

Hi bkrystia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a comment regarding your recent stay. We take all of the feedback that we receive seriously and will be looking further into the pool area.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Like other reviewers, pretty much only good things to say about this place (some very, very minor quibbles). A great value for the money; the AAA rate is $90/nite, the hotel is very new, very clean, has excellent facilities and the staff are wonderful and friendly. Our room was spacious and well lit, with a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was a good size with above average amenities, and the hot water was virtually scalding (the way I like it!). The fitness center has free weights, a universal style machine, balls, a bike, 2 ellipticals and 2 treadmills, all new and with individual TVs. (I had a bit of trouble figuring out to turn the TV on; instructions would have been helpful.) The hotel features a really nice size pool with a waterfall and other attractions for kids, and there's also a hot tub. The breakfast is not included in the room cost, but for $10/person you get hot food to order (omlettes, waffles etc) + sausage, bacon, hash browns, plus a nice selection of pastries, cold cereal, freshly cut fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. Really a nice spread and very reasonably priced. The hotel lobby offers coffee and tea round the clock and delicious cookies appear in the evening, warm out of the oven (a nice touch). We did laundry while we were here & while the machines were reasonably priced ($1 each for wash & dry) the little "store" off the front desk charged $3 for soap; that felt like a rip off and not in concert with the generous, customer driven feel of the whole place. The staff, to a person, are super friendly and helpful; really can't say enough about them. It took us about 10 minutes to drive from the hotel to the downtown on Friday and Saturday nights; very easy trip. All in all, a great hotel; I would definitely stay here again should I be in Ann Arbor (or A2 as the natives say!)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hi LauraRalph,

We were sad to see you go as well! It was a pleasure having you stay here with us this month. I am so pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy most of the amenities at the hotel. Your feedback regarding the TV instructions as well as the price of the laundry soap is appreciated. I will share this feedback as well as all of your warm comments with my team.

We look forward to having you join us again in A2 sometime soon!

Take Care,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here overnight while visiting University of Michigan hospital. A snow and ice storm blew in hours after we arrived. During the night a power surge set off the building's fire alarm twice. It sent everyone scrambling for their things and down the stairs to the lobby. The staff did their best to calm everyone and reset the alarm. In the morning at check out we were refunded every penny for our stay! An accident that knocked out a power pole is what reportedly caused the surge. There was nothing the hotel did wrong but they were still willing to refund our money because our stay was disrupted. As for the building and room, absolutely spotless, updated, beautiful, and clean! Every room, even the elevator, had a freshly cleaned/new smell! We will absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: We read the reviews and requested a room opposite of the highway, we never heard any traffic, other...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Jim-Trish R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for the hotel! We are so happy that you had the opportunity to come visit the property - even if it was during our snow storm. Hopefully the next time you return this is a little more sunshine to enjoy!

We are definitely looking forward to your return.

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting University of Michigan. The room was very clean and well decorated. The bathroom was impeccable. The beds were very comfortable, except the sheets were rough and the pillows were small and way too soft. There was a large flat screen tv, microwave, fridge and coffee maker in our room. We did not use any of the amenities, but it appeared as if many people and families were enjoying them. There is a pool, restaurant, bar, fireplace, market, work out room and business center. The staff was friendly and helpful. If my daughter ends up going to U of M, I will definitely stay here again. Its is about a 10 minute car ride to central campus.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JustfineNJ
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hello JustfineNJ,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn for your recent stay in Ann Arbor. I am so pleased that the hotel provided a clean and comfortable experience for you. We appreciate all of the feedback and I will definitely share it with my team. We hope that you daughter chooses U of M as we look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Best Wishes,