“Overall a very pleasent stay”

TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Toronto, Canada
“Overall a very pleasent stay”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very new to the area. So new that if you look on google street view and it's not there. It is a little better than your average Towneplace Suite, I think Marriott had updated the decor so it looks a little higher end.

The bed was very comfortable. I had asked for extra pillow and received them. The towels could be better so they don't feel that scratchy when using, but they do the job. All the rooms came with a small kitchen, including a two element stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge. Keep in mind there isn't an oven so make sure you buy food that can be cooked with other methods.

Each floor comes with ice machine but not a vending machine. Food, snacks and drinks can be purchased from the market area on the first floor.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub which is a big plus for staying during colder seasons. There is a decent size gym that opens 24/7.

The staffs were very friendly and helpful. I was greeted every time I see a staff member, regardless of where I was.

It is in a very convenient location, close to the mall, highway and a short drive to dt Ann Arbor.

The only down side I can think of is the breakfast. First of all, if you are big on proper hot full American breakfast, this hotel's continental breakfast is not going to satisfy you, but there is a kitchen in your room so you can substitute. Also, the breakfast area is extremely small, you will most likely eating breakfast in your room, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall it is an excellent place, new, clean, convenient and perfect for family or casual travelers.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank McBerr
Jaime Q, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
McBerr,

Thank you for your response and I appreciate your time expressing the details of your recent stay with us at the Towneplace Ann Arbor. I'm glad you had a chance to interact with our friendly team throughout the hotel! We have listened to guest feedback such as yours concerning a desire for an expanded breakfast. Select hot breakfast items will be offered in the future and I hope you'll have the chance to visit Ann Arbor and take advantage of this soon-to-be new feature.

Have a great day,
Jaime Quayle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very clean, cheerful, attractive and efficient lobby area. Sundries and snack items available for purchase. Continental breakfast w/waffles available, although we had to leave early and didn't eat it. We had a studio room with two QUEEN (not full) beds. Many hotels now only offer two full beds, so it was very nice to get queen beds. Although a studio, it was not spartan. As you enter the room, there's a galley kitchen with full size stainless refrigerator, two-burner glass cooktop, microwave, sink, dishwasher, dishes, cutlery and even hardwood-like floors (kitchen area only). On the opposing wall, there's a huge closet that's probably 8+ ft wide. There was a large rectangular table that comfortably seats 4 people. One minor complaint is that the table has a raised lip around the edges, so you cannot simply sweep crumbs off the surface as they get retained by the lip. Flat screen TV is a little small (24"?) when viewed from the beds, but gets HD and is adequate. Cellular (Sprint) and WiFi signals were good in Rm 225, and no complaints about WiFi speed. Room furnishings are nice and simple things like different colored walls and tasteful wallpaper really give the place a modern and upbeat feel. Unlike some hotels where parking is tough if you come back late, 60% of the parking spaces were still available on a Sunday night at 11 pm. We got a great AAA rate of $85/night + tax. I don't know if that will be available next time, but even though there are a bunch of hotels within a mile or two, we will definitely return to this one in the future. Hotel located about 3 miles from Central Campus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Leejia,

I value your response and am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your recent experience here at the Towneplace Suites Ann Arbor. I'm glad you enjoyed the room amenities and hotel decor during your stay. Our team looks forward to having you again during your next visit to Ann Arbor! Feel free to check our AAA rate availability for your future stay.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This location just opened in October 2012 and you an tell!! Everything was clean and new looking. We were there for a basketball tournament along with 5 other famlies; the rest of the team stayed in other hotels. We stayed in one of their King suites; one king bed, pull out sofa and Kitchen. The room was quite small but perfectly laid out. When you open the door, you are in the kitchen area. It is galley style with a full size fridge, dishwasher, 2 burner ceran stove, and all the dishes/utensils that you would need. In the same area is a huge closet. The sleeping area has the bed on one wall and across is the sleeper sofa and a desk/wall unit with shelves. The bathroom is beside the bed. Under normals circumstances the room is big enough, but once you pull out the bed in the sofa, it bumps against the bed, so there was only about a 3 inch gap to walk through if you had to use the washroom at night. The beds were clean and comfortable, the bathroom was really nice and the decor was very modern and bright. Our son who is 19 said that it would have made the perfect dorm room as it designed so well.

The pool area was great! they had all kinds of pool toys to use. The breakfast area was a little small as there was only seating for about 30 people. If the weather was warmer it would have been better as there was a patio with lots of tables and chairs that you could sit out side by the breakfast area. Also good to know is the Briarwood Mall is right beside the hotel, took 2 minutes to walk there and there is a Target and grocery store just one exit away.

The front desk staff was WONDERFUL!!! Especially Justin. He helped us out with so much, I couldn't thank him enough. The Marriott is VERY lucky to have him as an employee as he was the definition of what customer service is all about.

Room Tip: Don't get a King studio suite for more than 2 adults as it's very tight quarters, would be o...
Columbia809,

Thank you for choosing the Towneplace Suites Ann Arbor, I'm glad you had a chance to stay with us on your visit to Ann Arbor for your basketball tournament. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have let Justin know how much his service had a positive impact on your stay with us and our staff will continue to provide similar experiences in the future! I invite you to stay with us during your next trip to Ann Arbor!

Have a great day,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is great! We had a wonderful 2 bedroom suite - all 3 air conditioning units worked very well. The location is perfect - close to the highway as well as a just a walk across the parking lot to the Briarwood Mall. The pool is very nice (the best thing was that when we went, no one was in it). Breakfast was a bit limited, but if you want something else - make it in your own kitchen. The staff was always very helpful and pleasant. I'm bummed there are no 2 bedrooms available when we have to go back to the Ann Arbor area this summer!

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor location - we were on the 3rd floor and at times, it seemed like there was a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
allyson r, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay in the TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor and for sending in the review of our hotel! We are so glad you were impressed with your 2 bedroom suite accommodations and are sorry they are not available during your return visit, hopefully that does not keep you from visiting us again! We are looking to expand our breakfast accommodations in the next coming months, so hopefully next time you are in town that will be in full swing and you get to enjoy that during the returned visit.

Thanks again and we can't wait to see you this summer!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Overall this is a good hotel to stay in. We stayed with a family of 4 and the studio room was big enough to accommodate all four of us. The kitchen area is small, but had everything we needed. The hotel is relatively new and very clean. The pool area is great for kids, as they have a lot of pool toys for the kids to use. The fitness room was simple, but adequate. The breakfast is also very simple. Enough to get your day started. The location is great - very close to the Mall and just minutes from the University.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay here and we hope to see you again in the future! We are always looking to improve our levels of service with our traveler reviews and appreciate you taking the time out to help us do that.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to seeing you next time you are in town!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are looking for a place to say in Ann Arbor, I highly recommend this hotel. My thirteen year old daughter and I stayed here for one night for a swim meet she had. We stayed in a two queen studio suite, and it was perfect: Spacious, clean, and new with a great kitchen area. The beds were comfy. The toilet/ shower area was small, but fine. The sink is between the sleeping area and tub/toilet. The room was very clean, but did not smell of harsh cleaning products, which I really appreciated. The breakfast selection was not huge, but adequate. My only complaint, which is a probably a common one with hotels in that general area was: Our room was close to the freeway so there was a lot of traffic noise. This did not affect my 13 yr old, but I am a light sleeper, and definitely heard it. I would recommend asking for a room as far away from the highway as possible, if that is an issue for you. Every staff member was extremely friendly and welcoming. We will be back in the area in a few months, and will definitely be staying here!

Room Tip: Room furthest away from freeway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to review our hotel! We are so happy you enjoyed your recent stay and that you are planning to return! Unfortunately, we are aware of the traffic noise issue and we are so sorry that it affected your stay, but we are working to alleviate the noise as much as possible. I am glad it is not keeping you from staying with us again!

Thank you again for the review and see you next time you are in town!
Ontario, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am generally a loyal Courtyard patron. I was impressed, and surprised at how spacious and awesome the rooms are here. I used to live in NYC and my first thought was how I would have died for my apartment to be this spacious and well designed functionally too. The whole place is new and well maintained. The staff has been friendly and the breakfast has been well stocked and fresh. I stayed here 4 nights. It is part of a ring of hotels the circle the mall and it was nice to have a warm indoor space to walk around that was nearby (across the parking lot) to do some laps and damage to my wallet.

The only dissapointment to my stay was that when I was desperately thirsty the vending machines and lobby fridges were emptied of bottled water. They do have complementary iced water in the lobby so I was able to take a few cups up to my room. The water was restocked the next day I noticed.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and found the rooms to be quite and comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the TownePlace Suites for your 4 night stay and your great review! Our hotel is designed to make longer stay travelers like yourself to have all the comforts of home and then some. I am sorry to hear that the refridgerators were not stocked when you needed water and we will definately be working harder to make sure they always remain stocked!

Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you next time you are in Ann Arbor!