“Baxter House B&B Ann Arbor”
Review of Baxter House B&B

Baxter House B&B
Ranked #4 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Highly recommend this gem perfectly located in Ann Arbor. My Kelly, brother-in-law Jamie and future sister-in-law Megan all had a great stay while in town from Toronto and Orillia for the 2014 Winter Classic. Kathleen is a great hostess, amazing cook and very helpful in guiding us on places to eat as well as things to do during our short stay. We were in her guest apartment - the highlight of which was her gas fireplace (did I say winter classic brrrrr snowy and cold).

Room Tip: The apartment is perfect for couples and families
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I traveled to Ann Arbor for a crafting retreat and decided to stay at a B&B. I invited other attendees (who I had never met) to join me. Among us we decided we'd like to request gluten free/dairy free meals. Boy did Kathleen deliver. The food was amazing and for the one in our group who had no restrictions she still enjoyed amazing food rather than feeling cheated by our requests. The first morning we had some scones with a special homemade butter (the butter did have dairy obviously) as well as jam and honey options. We also had a gluten free oatmeal, two different varieties, with fruit. The second morning was even better, baked apple and a bed of hash-browns topped with arugula and an egg and an amazing sauce. Clearly Kathleen loves to cook for guests.

The three of us stayed in the "apartment." It was nice to have a whole level to ourselves (including full kitchen). The bathroom set up (one and one half bath) was perfect. A word of warning, the tub is a Roman style and could be hard for some to get in and out of if you have any mobility issues. I slept in the front room and the first night I slept like a log. The second night we were expecting additional guests late in the night (to stay in the main part of the house) so the porch light was on and did shine in thru the blinds some. Not a big deal. But, light sleepers should be aware.

If I have reason to visit Ann Arbor again I will definitely stay at Baxter House!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My family and I just returned from a wonderful 3-night stay at the Baxter House. We stayed in the Apartment and had the entire first floor to ourselves. The house is beautifully updated, extremely comfortable, and well maintained. We chose the Baxter House because we wanted to stay within walking distance to the University and the Stadium, but not be immersed in the student housing district. The location is perfect and surpassed our expectations! But the real surprise lay in Kathleen's superb hospitality and amazing cooking. We were treated to three gourmet breakfasts, and she worked hard to make sure all 5 members of my family (including 3 boys!) were served meals and dishes that suited everyone's tastes and preferences. She really hit it out of the park! We definitely will be returning, and I know everyone in my family will be looking forward to the Baxter House's comfortable accommodations and delicious food. Thanks Kathleen!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PMBoulder
Reviewed October 14, 2013

From delicious breakfasts to pleasant company, we had the most amazing experience at the Baxter House Bed and Breakfast in late August. My husband and I had a wonderful time and our gracious host, Kathleen, had a lot to do with that. There's no denying that she is always looking for ways to cater to her guests needs. For example, my husband doesn't eat meat, and I can't have dairy - she managed to not only meet our needs, but thrived on putting together the most delicious and nutritiously-dense breakfasts!

On most mornings, we would gather around the breakfast table with Kathleen and enjoy friendly, lighthearted conversation with her and the other guests who would happen to be awake at the same time (yes, Kathleen would serve multiple breakfasts throughout the morning based on when the guests were planning on waking up). The rooms were cozy (we were in the sunrise room) and light shined through nearly every window, giving the house a modern yet light and airy vibe. My husband was visiting UMich for the week, and Kathleen was very helpful in providing me with all the insider secrets on downtown Ann Arbor. She had so many suggestions for me that even with 5 days, my husband and I weren't able to do them all! On days when I needed to catch up on my own work, Kathleen would make a point to leave me in the quiet, sun-filled kitchen, only interrupting to treat me to some homemade healthy snacks and tea! It really was a wonderful experience highlighted by the most generous host. There's no doubt in my mind that if we find ourselves back in Ann Arbor, Baxter Bed and Breakfast will be our one and only place to stay (and the word will be passed onto our family and friends as well).

Just a tip - definitely book at least a month or two in advance as this B&B fills up fast!

P.S. If you're lucky, she just might provide you with a recipe or two!

Room Tip: Our room- the sunrise room- was on the main floor, street side. It was perfect for 1-2 people, with...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JenniferJD
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We booked this B&B a month ahead for a midweek stay. Kathy overbooked and didn't bother to contact us. Luckily we called earlier in the afternoon the day we were to check in and she then told us we could not have the room with private bath. She did offer to call other B&B's for us and help us find another room. Luckily it was not a weekend because Ann Arbor fills quickly, particularly on football weekends. We ended up in an Inn we liked, but we were disappointed in her mix-up.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SueM722
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I had a two night weekday stay at Baxter house and found it to be a mostly excellent experience. Kathleen was out of town but her assistant Victoria was an excellent host. Victoria had the scoop on great places to eat downtown, made tasty inventive breakfasts, was easy going and flexible on arrival and departure times from the house.
I stayed in the garden room in the lower apartment of the house (bottom floors from main house). While the garden room itself is small, no one was occupying the large room in that area so I had the place to myself (a major bonus).
There were two bikes ("beater" bikes, M & L size) available to grab but it was easier to just walk downtown (~4 blocks away). If I needed to get to the other side of the city I probably would have used one.

A few minor points to note (super minor!):
- Lower apartment seemed like it could get a bit stuffy with windows closed, I left a few of them open during the day and summer nights. I should note that I hate A/C and had it turned off (but central fan running).
- A block-ish away from the train station, a train horn early in the morning (~6:30am) would wake me up. I was in the front part of the house with the window open. The other patrons in the main house did not notice the train horn alarm clock.
- Apartment "european style" large soak tub with shower head and no shower curtain. While I liked the openness of the bathroom setup, I can envision water damage from the shower head. I was extra careful and cleaned up any water but a more traditional shower would have been better for my grime.

Bottom line:
Close to downtown, close to the highway, close to paved/double/singletrack walking/biking trails, excellent hosts and breakfasts, cozy rooms. I can't imagine a better place to stay in A2.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kattrap
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at Baxter House, and were only sorry it was only for one night. The house is beautifully restored, and Kathleen is the friendliest of innkeepers. Breakfast was fantastic, and the kitchen was very cozy in the thunderstorm. We would have been eating on one of the lovely decks, if not for the torrential downpour!
We will definitely stay when we are in Ann Arbor again.

Room Tip: We were in a 3rd floor room, but all the rooms looked awesome. Our room had a nice balcony, but once...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple