“I liked this hotel, but keep in mind - you get what you pay for!”
Review of The University Inn

The University Inn
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“I liked this hotel, but keep in mind - you get what you pay for!”
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed here a few months ago, back when he was still just my fiance. We stayed for 3 days, as we were on an intense apartment hunt (we were looking for a place to live when we moved from Baltimore, MD to Ann Arbor later on in the year). For $39 per night plus taxes, this place cannot be beat. I hesitate to call it a hotel - it is more like a motel, which I personally define as a place to stay that is slightly run-down and has outside hallways and staircases. Reviews on this website are generally accurate - the room was kind of dirty, especially the carpet (I brought slippers to wear exactly for that reason, and I'm so glad I did!). The bed was not as comfortable as you would find at a chain hotel, but we had no complaints even after 3 nights. The bedroom was quite small but I thought it was cute - decorated in yellow, and very clean compared to the rest of the hotel! No bathtub, just a shower stall. There was a little bit of noise from the street, mostly in the mornings, but we never experienced parties in the parking lot or anything like that. The area was quite safe - we had no problem walking around, day or night. There was a free breakfast buffet featuring toast, english muffins, bagels, and oatmeal. Nothing fantastic, but I honestly wouldn't expect ANYTHING for breakfast for $39 / night! Our room was located directly above the "lobby" where they offer free wireless internet, but we could not pick up the signal from in our room. The best thing about this hotel is the in-room microwave and refrigerator! We were in the area for 3 days / 4 nights and it was great to have these amenities. I don't think I would advise my parents to stay here if they came to Ann Arbor to visit, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants a no-frills place to sleep for the night!

• Liked — In-room microwave and refrigerator
  • Disliked — Kinda dirty all around
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Iridescentkittie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
NY
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I didn't expect a lot other than a clean room for the $ spent, but I did not even get that! We got in late from traveling with my young son and the place looked clean enough, but the next morning I discovered my slippers were sticking to the carpet and the bathroom floor. The entire carpet was filthy and stained.

Needless to say we went to the Holiday Inn on Boardwalk and got a decent room.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Hojack

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

NY
Reviewed February 23, 2007

The Lamppost Inn is a relatively old hotel. The bathroom fixtures, the furniture, it's all older than what you would find in a typical hotel. However, my wife and I found it to be clean and generally pleasant.

The towels are tiny and thin...so if that is important to you, stay somewhere else. There is also no bathtub, only a shower.

Also, because the door to your room goes directly outside, it is much louder than a typical hotel. We heard a lot of cars coming and going and people outside the first night we were here.

It's also good to know that they have wireless internet in the lobby/breakfast room. If you stay in a room that is about 5-6 rooms down from the office or less, you can get the wireless internet in your room.

The free breakfast is pretty good, we thought. There is orange/apple juice, milk, coffee, english muffins, bagels, oatmeal, and bread for toast.

A great value, everything considered, but nothing fancy. Very close to everything in Ann Arbor. A great place if you just need a clean, adequate place to stay for a night or two.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — linens
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank markak1515
Michigan
Reviewed September 10, 2006

I would not recommend the lamp post inn to anyone. I encountered several problems here and will never return. First of all the lamp post inns website is deceptive, the pictures they show are not even close to what you get. I had a reservation for 4 people, there were only two towels in the room and when I asked for more was told I would have to come get them myself, then they only gave me two more, the towels had holes in them and were scratchy,I ended up buying my own towels. The bed linen had holes as well , looked like burn marks. The room was dirty, the carpet was VERY dirty, had not been vacuumed in some time by the looks of it. There was a bad odor in the room and I believe it came from the carpet. I requested an additional pillow and was told very rudely that they had to many guests and they didn't have anymore pillows. I could not even plug in my blow dryer because the electric outlets were so old that the plugins just fell right back out. There was mold on the ceiling in the shower and the water temp went from hot to cold the whole time I showered. I was not impressed with this place at all. The management was rude and not the least bit helpful.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Save yourself the headache, don't stay at the lamp post inn
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank snowflake2006
the Midwest
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I travel to Ann Arbor once every year or two for my work. I've stayed in a hotel next to the campus before and found it nice but pricey, and I was looking for something more economical. The Lamp Post definitely has exceptional rates - you may not find any better. The rate I paid for a non-kitchenette room was $49/night, and with hotel taxes the grand total was $53/night. For $53 night, this place offers an amazing array of amenities: cable TV, refrigerator, coffee, coffeemaker and microwave in ALL rooms, and free breakfast (includes bagels, cream cheese, jellies, instant oatmeal, apple juice, milk, and coffee). I've stayed in other value-priced hotels that did not provide shampoo & conditioner, alarm clock, tissues or a telephone in the room, but the Lamp Post provides all of these. They even have an internet access computer in the lounge/breakfast room, which surprised me. On top of this, they have a safe location somewhat close to the university campus. The campus would be about a half-hour walk on a tree-lined street.

The one thing I could not determine when I researched this hotel was the safety of the neighborhood. I was very pleased at what I found. Despite its being located at the intersection of two major streets, everything is clean and nice around there - tall trees, green lawns, sidewalks with bicyclists and walkers. Just to the east (a block or two away) of the hotel is a park with walking paths. Around the Lamp Post itself it is a mixture of offices and businesses. About a block or so to the west there is a pharmacy, and right next door there is a shopping center which includes a Trader Joe's grocery and a sandwich shop (called "Roly Poly Sandwiches") which stays open until 7pm.

The campus is technically within walking distance, but I prefer public transportation. There is a bus stop you can catch to get to campus about a block away from the Lamp Post Inn on Washtenaw Rd. It is not a covered bus stop and the buses don't run that frequently (every half-hour), but still you can get where you need to go.

I thought my room was fine. The furnishings were basic, not fancy. When I entered it smelled perfectly clean and fresh. I appreciated that the heater really cranked out some heat if you turned it up. My bathroom was done in old-fashioned sunny yellow tile.

If I were to list the problems, it would include the fact that the carpet in the room was rather dirty. You wouldn't notice at first because it is a dark green color, but I noticed after walking around in the room one evening that the bottoms of my white socks had become kind of black. The other thing that was a problem for me was that one of the three nights I stayed (I think it was on a Wednesday) there were loud partiers in the parking lot. It appeared that some college kids might have gotten a room and they were shouting across the lot in loud greetings. And just sort of whooping it up in general. Then a different group - looked like laborers from a construction crew - pulled in and had a beer blast out there for about a half hour before quietiing down. It was a little unnerving to hear loud shouts reverberating outside one's motel room door.

I found the owner and staff friendly, efficient and helpful. The owner is often on-site and cares a lot about the property. I guess one can't do much about one's neighbors, when you choose to stay at what might be the cheapest place in town.

In spite of the problems, I would definitely stay at this place again. The amount of money saved not only in the hotel bill, but on food (because you can refrigerate your leftovers from restaurants, and get food at the next-door grocery), and proximity to public transportation makes this probably the best value in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank MildManneredTraveler
Reviewed January 16, 2006

We spent two nights at the Lamp Post after reading these reviews. Our daughter was visiting UofM. The pluses were the price and the location. It was friendly and quiet. The negatives are it is in need of an upgrade. The walls and carpet and bathroom all have seen a decade of wear. The continental breakfast was even not much. Some fruit and a little choice of cereal beyond oatmeal would be nice. However, it is inexpensive and there is a microwave, fridge and coffee maker in the room.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank findsun
Berwick, Maine
Reviewed September 24, 2005

I had to make an unexpected trip to Ann Arbor from Washington, DC. dreading the thought of staying at a hundred dollar plus per night hotel. I did some web research and found the Lamp Post Inn in Ann Arbor, MI. I called hotel in route and booked in for two nights. I knew I would be checking in after hours. The staff made the appropriate arrangements for the key pick up. To my surprise I found myself in a large clean room that was well accommodated. I enjoyed the continental breakfast, the owner and staff couldn't be more helpful. The Lamp Post Inn is a great place to stay for a reasonable price. It's Convenient to the College and the VA. Medical Center. Thanks Lamp Post Inn I'll give you 5 Stars for a job well done.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business