“Perfectly adequate”

Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
North Olmsted, Ohio
“Perfectly adequate”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a family run establishment and after reading the reviews I didn't have very high expectations but expected everything to be adequate.

The room was a bit dated and the furniture a bit old but everything was perfectly clean and acceptable unlike other budget places I have staid in.

The bed was a bit creaky and the fridge made a slight banging noise when it went off. That would have kept me awake but I identified it before going to bed and switched it off.

The bathroom was again rather ancient but everything worked as it should and it was flawlessly clean.

The breakfast was adequate and the breakfast room was clean and simple.

I would really have given this place 4 stars but I had the best shower pressure of all the hotels I staid in, including some pretty expensive ones. Got to give that 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MeandererUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Husband booked us at this place for the Michigan State vs. Univ of Michigan football game. When I entered the room I immediately started gagging uncontrollably - I nearly threw-up from the stench and the thought that I would spend a second of my life there. The filth and disrepair are appalling. There were open holes to the outside where bugs and cold air could get in. The carpet was warn down so low you were basically standing on concrete. The grim on the top of the carpet was visually nauseating. The paper thin mattress and filthy disgusting linens and bedspread were stained with blood and god knows what else. The bathroom had cracked tiles, mold, and some bugs crawling in the shower. There were some hand towels, but no bath towels - which didn't matter because we left within 5 minutes of assessing the situation. We prepaid so there was no chance for a refund. By the way, this is the type of motel hookers and druggies frequent, so if you ignore my warning, keep that in mind. We got a room at Kensington Court which was clean and close to the game. Stay away from thus place at any cost!!!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Applemartini71
Trippin-with-you, Owner at The University Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
The Kensington Court hotel is one of Ann Arbor's most luxurious hotels and I am glad that your stay with them was to your satisfaction.

I seldom respond directly to a specific review since I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion (and we are fortunate enough to have many that disagree with yours), however, when opinions and conjecture replace fact, then I think it is mandatory for me to lay out the facts.

1) Based upon the information in your comments, I believe that your reservation was for Thursday evening and it was at that time that you received your keys. On Friday evening the keys were returned to the manager and the exact and complete statement to the manager was "the bed didn't work out for my wife's back".

2) The carpet, the mattresses and the box springs in your room were all replaced within the last two years.

3) The towels in every room include two bath towels, two hand towels, two washcloths and a shower mat.

4) The demographic mix of our hotel on a specific date probably includes a minimum of four professors; several doctors; numerous people visiting patients in the nearby hospitals; and a large group of graduate students that are either visiting overnight or are here for extended stay - for internships in dentistry, statistics, economics, etc..

5) Our football weekend customers vary slightly from that norm, however, I can say based upon years of ownership that most of them are couples and families that have stayed with us for years. I know almost everyone of them personally and none meet your conjectured demographic mix of hookers and druggies. Most are alumni of the University of Michigan. .

6) After reviewing the room with my manager and the director of housekeeping I do not believe there is any information to substantiate the assertion that the bed and linens had blood and other materials on them nor do I believe that most people would feel that a five to six inch mattress is paper thin.

I am truly sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations, and I honestly mean that, however, I think it is unfair to write a review that is blatantly unfair and appears to create fact from opinion and conjecture.

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Oswego NY
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is in a great location to attend football games. The rooms are roomy, comfortable and clean. It is an older hotel so there is some wear. The staff is friendly and accomodating. We will stay here when we go back for another game!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Betsaroo
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2012

... than to stay in AA, Michigan at the Lamp Post Inn.
My family has stayed at the LPI for 6 years.. not just a day or two, but weeks at a time. We always choose LPI because of its great value, helpful 'n friendly staff, location, and most importantly ... supporting an AA small business.
My suggestion to those who have a problem or find issues with their room or stay at the LPI, find a staff member and ask for assistance. I guarantee they will do their very best to make it right!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is the most dreadful experience I have had with a hotel/motel. It requires an impressive degree of chutzpa to charge for a room in the condition offered to me. It was dingy, threadbare, poorly lighted and "cooled" by an a/c unit that sounded like a Mac truck. The bath tub was 50% enameled, the rest had flaked off; the bathroom door was split and peeling. The "towels" were thinner than my oldest tee shirt. Everything was downscale and well past useful life. In town for my own reasons, I thought I would suffer through one night, took a shower and lay down on the mattress for a couple hours. As I got up to go a meeting I killed a bug on the side chair. I left, did my business and found a clean, servicable Comfort Inn at a better price. The Lamp Post declined to offer any refund because I had used their room. Indeed, the desk clerk treated me as if I was cheating them.
Did I mention that the first room offered was a shambles? Did I mention the couple in the next room were napping with the door open? I am sure it is better than being deployed to Iraq, but it has zero value as a place to stay. I have been in better maintained prisons (as a guest). Do they give negative stars?

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank PDlawyer
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Since I have in-laws in town, I don't believe that I've paid to stay in A2 since my undergraduate apartment lease expired in 1984. However, during this trip circumstances forced us to choose other accommodations, three days one weekend, and one day the following weekend. We chose the Lamp Post because a.) it's within a mile of family, and b.) it offers one of the best prices in town.

For those of you who are worried the LP might be testing the lower limits of your cheap motel endurance, keep in mind the following.

PROS
*Good location in SE A2, next door to Trader Joe's, a short drive to Whole Foods, and five to ten minutes from stadium (west), campus (northwest), and highway (east). Easy entry and exit.
*The people at check-in are good communicators and efficient with paperwork - do you suppose they're Ph.D. students or something? I wouldn't be surprised.
*Mattresses are very good; we had no problem sleeping.
*Maid service is really good. We left the room at 9 or 10 a couple days, and each time everything was neat and tidy when we returned at 2 or 3.
*In each of the two rooms we occupied, there was a good showerhead, with plenty of free flowing water.
*Free Wi-Fi and TV both work fine.
*We were pleasantly surprised how quiet things were for a relatively full motel, but can't personally testify to noise level for game weekends.

CONS
*The rooms really show their age. Lots of glumpy caulk holding tile together in bath area. Still, it was relatively clean glumpy caulk.
*The towels and sheets are not particularly high quality, but are clean and replaced every day, unless you ask otherwise.
*The breakfast isn't much more than carbohydrates and coffee - but remember Trader Joe's is next door, like 50 yards across a parking lot, and there's a drive-through coffee shop across the street (no crosswalk, so be careful).

The LP really isn't so bad. It's sort of like going to Grandma's house, but at least Grandma is a pretty good housekeeper. And she knows you love your iPhone, laptop, cable tv, etc., and has made provision for you to use those things.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We recently stayed for a couple of weeks at the Lamp Post Inn. The value is outstanding but even more importantly Bruce Larson and his staff went out of their way to make sure that we had an excellent stay.

Mark D.