“Great university museum”

University of Michigan Museum of Art
Ranked #10 of 88 things to do in Ann Arbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Among the best university art museums in the U.S., this on-campus museum has a particularly fine collection of Asian art through the ages.
Philippines
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great university museum”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Boasts of owning a few good pieces from famous academic painters, modern and contemporary artists such as Picasso, Whistler, I think I saw a Pollock and Rothko's. they also have various art from other places such as Asia and Africa. There was a good exhibit set up that dealt with time from traditional, colonial and contemporary African art.

Parking is not that much of a hassle and places are also walkable from the museum. You can grab a bite to eat a few blocks away and then come back if you wish.

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
ann arbor, mi
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Good University Museum”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This museum has always been worth a visit. But with the new additions, in the last few years, it's now a destination stop in Ann Arbor. Terrific collection. Very good gift shop. And it's free.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“This place is a gem”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I love this museum.It is beautifully designed,has a great selection of art and they provide wonderful cultural enrichment for all.I doubt there is a meuseum of this size anywhere that compares

Mississauga
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Fall Road trip to Ann Arbor”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stopped in due to the rain, and had a nice treat - lots of varied and beautiful pieces, lighting was good, and the write-up with the exhibits was very informative. Plenty of seating for when you need a break. Nicely setup exhibits with lots of varied content to choose from, depending on your interest. Imagine, being Canadians, and finding an exhibit on the Plains of Abraham battle in Quebec City - cool, teaching Americans Canadian content!

Durham, NC
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Not much of an art person, but still enjoyed it”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stopped by the U of M Museum of Art because my family was interested. My husband and I are not big art museum people, but went along to spend time with everyone.

There was not fee to visit the museum. They do ask for donations which we were happy to give. The buildings architecture is amazing! The main room has this beautiful high ceiling which allows in a lot of light. There were several different styles of art. I especially found the room of religious work very interesting. They also had a number of original pieces that I knew (which surprised me given how little I know about art.)

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed our visit. Going with people who are enthusiastic about art helps.

Visited September 2012