“Just what I expected.”

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Middle of the Mitten
“Just what I expected.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my second stay at this motel and there were no surprises. Did I expect a four star stay? Of course not. Economical, clean, well located with easy access. Yes, they wimp out on the breakfast, but unless you are trying to load up on a day's calories for free it is satisfactory. Best part of the stay?? Each time I have been there the staff has been professional, friendly, and helpful. At these prices I didn't expect a uniformed concierge and free valet parking. Would I stay there again? Yep.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Oldugly
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Oldugly,

Thank you for being a return patron to our Red Roof property in Ann Arbor, MI! We appreciate your positive feedback about your experience with us. I will gladly let my staff know that you felt the service level was professional, friendly, and helpful. We will take care of you the same way when you visit us again!

Warm Regards,

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor University North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Kalamazoo
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My mother, son and I arrived on a Sunday evening. I had booked the room online through the University of Michigan Hospital website as a recommended hotel to stay at. Upon check in I asked if we could be on the first floor due to the fact that there are no elevators and I had a toddler traveling with me. I was told for a "small fee" I could upgrade to a deluxe room and stay on the first floor which I opted not to do. Upon arrival in our room it appeared to be clean; until we noticed the carpet in between the beds had not been vacuumed in some time. The heat in our room did not work unless it was on high; if we turned it down any more it blew cold air on us all night. The toilet ran for an usually long amount of time after flushing it and the water pressure in the shower was poor. Upon check out I informed the staff member that we did not have heat in our room during the night and when he asked why I did not call during the night I explained I was traveling with a sick toddler and disrupting him to have the furnace worked on at 12:30AM was not an option for us.
Next time I will spend a little more and hope for a better quality stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear amyjean0202,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on Trip Advisor. Allow me to apologize for falling short of your expectations. I appreciate you being descriptive regarding the concerns you encountered so that we can follow up and correct. I am looking forward to having you as a guest again in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The room was really nice and clean. The staff was really friendly. My only minor complaint is about the advertised "free" breakfast at the Big Boy. First, it's only for the adults in the room, not children staying in the room for free, so I had to buy my teenager's breakfast. Second, there is a limited list of individual items (for example ONE piece of French Toast, 2 pancakes, muffin & fruit) that you can get for free, OR you can get $3.50 off anything you order from the regular menu. Had I known I may have chosen to stay at a competitor offering free breakfast in the lobby to all where you can take more than one item. Otherwise I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone, and I"d be willing to stay here again. I just wish they were more descriptive about the breakfast situation.

They also had not plowed the parking lot, it was a slushy mess . . . but I do understand that it's January in Michigan . . . mayber their contractor was behind??

Room Tip: You can see the highway from one side of building. Good if you want to check traffic conditions by...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear SHERRYLEEF,

Thank you for choosing our Ann Arbor Red Roof location and for taking the time to post about your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive comments about our friendly staff and cleanliness of our rooms. I'm sorry to hear that you felt our breakfast program fell short of your expectations. I hope that we can serve you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor University North for the Winter Classic. I was very surprised by the cleanliness and the quality of the rooms. The room had almost a cabin-like feel, the beds were very comfortable and some solid pillows. Being only about twenty minutes away from the Big House (in normal traffic), it is an ideal spot if you are going to a football game or visiting U of M. The service was pretty decent, other than having to repeatedly call to find out some information, the front line staff was friendly and efficient. I would highly recommend the Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor University North when visiting Ann Arbor. It's reasonably priced, perfectly situated and clean. There's not much more you could ask for!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear tdsuperstar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive experience on Trip Advisor and for visiting us for the 2014 NHL Winter Classic. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our updated rooms and the quality of our bedding package. We always cater to guests coming into the Ann Arbor area for all U of M events. Come visit us again sometime soon.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on our annual roadtrip and really enjoyed ourselved. The rooms were very clean and quite spacious. The front desk gave some great recommendations for local bowling & restuarants. We have never stayed at red roof ins before but would love to try them again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear CuriousTravels2014,

We would love for you to visit us again when your road trip brings you to Ann Arbor again next year! There are Red Roof properties all over the United States and I'm sure they would love to have your business as well . If you would like a directory mailed, please call us at 734-996-5800 and we would be glad to mail you a few. Thanks again for choosing us and I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great experience at our Ann Arbor North location.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here over New Years when we were in town for the Winter Classic. The hotel was a fair distance from downtown, and the stadium, but the rooms were very reasonably priced, and the reviews were good. The place was very busy, but Jeff and Barb on the front desk were very friendly, and went out of their way to help us get a cab downtown to the New Years Eve street party, even though they obviously didn't have the time. The rooms were very nice; very clean, comfortable beds, and it was great to have a fridge. The Wifi was fast, and hassle-free. Breakfast at the Big Boy restaurant across the lobby was fast, tasty & cheap. We had a great stay. My only complaint (and this is not a big thing...) the toilet paper was really harsh!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cheryl G,

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor about your trip to Ann Arbor for the 2014 Winter Classic. What an event! I'm pleased to read that you had a positive experience at our location and we were able to provide excellent service to you. Please come visit us again in the future,

Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I were on a trip to see family in northern MI last week. We decided to stop in Ann Arbor (hubby is a former U of M grad) to see a show at the Ark. We booked the RRI/AAUN in advance. Upon arrival, there was a bad snowstorm. The lot was being cleaned and we were greeted in a friendly manner upon checkin.

The only negative was the bathroom light. It wouldn't come on right away, but would flash and blink. We called the desk and they changed the bulb, but it didn't affect what was continuing to happen. We believe the bulbs might be the culprit. The light did come on after a warmup of flickering.

Now onto the positives! These rooms have been updated with modern amenities. Our room was clean, the mini fridge and microwave were clean, spacious and worked very well! The bed was very firm and absolutely comfortable. The flat panel tv had a good channel selection. The internet WIFI connection was great. We had easy access to downtown Ann Arbor, even with the snowstorm raging outside. The room's heating unit worked great and was it was easy to set the thermostat to make the room comfy.

When traveling to AA again, we will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmericanTravelerJ
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear AmericanTravelerJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor and welcome back to the Ann Arbor area. We appreciate you letting us know about the light so that we can correct the issue. I am glad you like the modern decor of our new rooms especially the extra amenities such as the microwave and refrigerator. We look forward to your future visit with us!