“Perfection with sound.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersBronze level

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

the room was clean - that is the only nice thing I can say about this hotel.

the location is terrible. my room was tiny (I didn't realize that's what the "micro" meant in Microtel). it was outdated. you could hear entire conversations of your neighbors both upstairs and on either side. the entrance is about as unappealing as an inner city Emergency Room. I was there for a function where the hotel staff were asked to put welcome packets in each room and they "forgot" to do so. and worst of all, the staff were not only unhelpful, they were also uninterested.

I made the mistake of leaving behind a family heirloom -- a silver necklace. Yes, that was my fault and I have to accept that as ultimately my mistake.

But when I realized it the next day (a Saturday, midday), the man behind the desk, after keeping me waiting for 10 minutes, casually and apathetically said he was unable to check with lost and found until Monday as he was the only person working at the hotel that day. Let me repeat: he was the only person working at the hotel that day.

When I called back during the week to check in, the woman who answered the phone informed me nothing was turned in. I asked her to double check as it is both valuable and sentimentally important to me, and she responded incredulously as though I asked her to give me a kidney. I was put on hold and after a few minutes, she all too gleefully informed me, "there wasn't nothing turned in."

I don't care how budget your hotel is - I've happily stayed at many a 1-2 star hotel - but you should make service your #1 priority. that is clearly not the Microtel Inn & Suite's Ann Arbor's way of running their business. A little sympathy would have helped in the situation and instead I got utter disregard and callousness.

I will never, ever stay at another Microtel again - and not because of the old, lousy rooms. But because apparently the housekeeping staff (which I left a tip as I always do) either didn't notice or pocketed a valuable necklace, and because the front desk staff was disappointingly indifferent.

It was a far cry from my experience the next night at the Ann Arbor Sheraton, where for just a few dollars more a night, I was treated like a "valued customer." Never again, Microtel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business