“Best BBQ around”

Satchel's BBQ
Ranked #186 of 610 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Although the Satchel's stew is my staple, on this visit I split a full slab of ribs with a friend. We ordered the baked beans, cole slaw, and corn bread for sides. The ribs were lean, moist, and tender (*how* do they do that???), and great with the sweet sauce (my favorite of 5 sauces at your table). Slaw was crisp and delicious, and beans were mild and flavorful. Portions were generous, plenty of food for the 2 of us to share. John (manager) always stops by my table and makes sure we're pleased, and generally offers us a taste of something we didn't order. Tonight it was a new menu item: bread pudding. It was a good balance of bread and custard, but a bit sweet for my taste. Overall, the food and service were great, and we didn't leave before ordering more for take-home.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Sachels several times. Beef brisket is very good with good flavor. Baked beans were excellent. Mac and cheese was creamy and delicious. This visit provided a poor experience. The owner was away and customer service was non existent. Beef brisket had a lot of fat. Asked for honey for my corn bread and got several blank stares. Finally an employee poured some into a cup. The employees looked exhausted and the kitchen looked dirty.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Yes, the BBQ definitely satisfied, and it was the best I'd had in a while. It wasn't all fatty (pretty lean actually), you can sprinkle or douse your meat choice in a selection of sauces (available at each table), service was fast and there were a few meat selections to choose from (pulled pork, tri-tip, ribs, etc.). It wasn't too busy while I was there, so the service was fast from what I could tell. The workers are polite, and there are quite a few sides to choose from. I left pleasantly satisfied, not disgustingly ready to pop, but you can make your meals larger with add-ons and sides if you're really hungry. The corn bread was tasty, too. The atmosphere was so-so (only a couple of windows and not a whole lot of tables), but I came there to eat not watch the moon. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Satchel's provides a fine BBQ option in Ann Arbor. Nice brisket/ribs/pork. Real smoke from hardwood! Good selection of sides. Love the dill in the 'tater salad. Not much on ambiance, but every diner wears a big smile. BBQ fans might wish to also consider Biercamp on S. State.

1  Thank Brookie69
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Been here a few times. Last time was a few weeks ago. When Q has his smokers going you can smell it down the street. Daily specials on week days. Reasonable prices for specials. Most of the menus is typical BBQ fare. Pulled pork is excellent. Several sauces on the tables so that you can sauce it up just the way you like it. Clean simple decor. Not a lot of seating if you come with a group but there is one large long table and several smaller ones. Friendly staff and management.

1  Thank simpleman66