“One of my favorite Thai options in Ann Arbor”
Review of Lotus Thai

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lotus Thai
Ranked #457 of 592 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Thai
Milan, Michigan
“One of my favorite Thai options in Ann Arbor”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I eat here mostly for lunch, but occasionally do take-out, especially when I feel a cold coming on and the need for some spicy Thai dishes to help me breathe again! Lotus is a very good restaurant and has some wonderful dishes. They are a little pricier than some of the other Thai places I've tried, but with the exception of Marnee Thai (which I've heard they're related to), I haven't had the quality of food at other places.

I've tried all their curries and enjoyed them, but my favorite lunch is the Tom Yum noodle bowl with chicken. It's $10, but it's always 2 meals worth of soup for me. Medium spicy is just right... it may be too hot for the heat shy. I feel so good after I eat this. It's a big steaming spicy bowl of Thai comfort and I could eat it a couple times week if my budget allowed!

95% of the time service is excellent. On my most recent trip, a server was not so attentive. It was the day before the big Christmas break most companies in the area have. The restaurant was jammed as I've never seen it before... and I think she was just distracted and flustered. Not a good excuse, but in the holiday spirit I was feeling generous. As I said, slow service is the exception at Lotus Thai, not the rule. On that day, the owners even apologized to us and said it would not be happening again.

It's so cold out as I write this that if it wasn't so far from my house at this moment I'd be there warming up with that soup right now!

• Visited December 2012

“Tasty Thai Restaurant”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We love Thai food and Lotus Thai did not disappoint. We both had our dishes cooked to medium spiciness and both arrived exactly as such. Our waitress was very friendly and nice. She came to our table several times to check on us throughout the meal and our glasses were never empty. The spring rolls, drunken noodles, and pineapple fried rice we ate were all very tasty. We did notice that the place wasn't very busy. We were there after 8 p.m. on a Saturday night.

• Visited December 2012
“Nice Thai cuisine”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We've been here twice now. Food always good, not great, but good value and good service. Lunch menu a little limited to my taste, but we manage.

Visited October 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“The Worst Waitress Ever (and the so-called Thai Soup)”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The whole evening was pretty bad up until around 7 p.m. when the owner arrives. One waitress had the audacity to say,when we complained about the soup at $10.00 a serving, "you aren't in Thailand." Our waitress didn't clean up the dirty dishes until asked, didn't know about Thai food, charged us 22% tip added for 6 people when we were 5, didn't talk to the owner when she arrived about our concerns (I did that). B.T.W. there IS a 22% automatic tip charge of 22% for 6+ people which they don't tell you on the phone when you make a reservation. 22% for what. No tablecloths, poor service, no H2O on the table, no change of plates in between courses. The food, except for the soup, was pretty good except for the spring rolls sitting with a poorly cut and fairlY limp carrot and piece of celery in a glass (which my granddaughter ordered) The owner adjusted our bill, took the soup baack and suggested we ask for authentic Thai next time. So when in a Thai restaurant in ANn Arbor "REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT IN THAILAND."

• Visited September 2012
Michigan
“Horrible waitress!!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

A few of us went there last weekend, the food was amazing!! After we paid and left, the waitress came running after us questioning one of my friend why she didn't leave more tip!! She says" this is s&&% tip...this is not how it works..why you didn't give me more tip?" We were so shocked at her behavior and the audacity for her to come chasing us because she wasn't happy with one person's tip!!! Crazy lady!! She didn't care when we said we're not coming back.We are trying to get in touch with the owner but she picked up the phone when we called.