“I would go back”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Liberty & William Streets
Transit: The City of Ann Arbor's Transportation Authority Terminal is located behind the restaurant, providing bus transit services throughout the area.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I would go back”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I went with my fiance and took advantage of the movie and dinner deal for 60 dollars. There were 3 courses: cheese dipping, entree/protein dipping, and dessert/chocolate dipping. Everything was really fresh and delicious. I would go back for the cheese and chocolate dipping for sure. The entree part was delicious but you cook the meat in a boiling pot at your table so there is some work on your part. Still, we enjoyed it!! The chocolate covered marshmallows made me wonder why I have been eating marshmallows any other way!

• Visited June 2014

Midwest
“Better Choices in Ann Arbor”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our group of four had high expectations for our first trip to The Melting Pot. You should know, however, that the main course is served raw and you boil each bite, then dip the meat or vegetables in one of a few small portions of sauce you are provided with. The oil creates a nauseating smell and a greasy meal. The cooking instructions are complicated as each dish requires a different cooking time and you are not provided with a timer. If you are worried about cross contamination or undercooked food, this is not the place for you. The cheese and chocolate may be good, but were not included in our Groupon and at $80+ for four, it amounted to a pricey salad lunch. The miniscule portions, cooking method and high cost don't add up to a pleasing meal. With the wide variety of fine choices in Ann Arbor, you can go elsewhere and be served food that will actually leave you feeling satisfied instead of disappointed. Service at this location was also poor as the waiter spilled a glass of water on one of my guests then proceeded to drop silverware on the floor; after that he avoided our table for the rest of the meal.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Four courses and a night of fun”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a group of 30 for a rehearsal dinner and had a room to our selves on the upper floor. We chose a four course package with Cheeses, Meats, salad and chocolate ... the event was about 3-1/2 hrs long, and was great time for friends and family to get better acquainted and enjoy the entertainment from the waitresses. Highly recommended for special events like this. The staff was very helpful adjusting for numbers, etc at the last minute.

Visited June 2014
Nashville
“Melting Phunds”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Kind of a neat experience, but they are "proud" of their gig.
Glad I tried it once.
If I go back it would just be for the desserts.

Don't like waiting for my food to cook once it is delivered to the table.
Took too long.

• Visited May 2014
“Seriously, find somewhere else !”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We went to dinner here to celebrate my niece's graduation. Our reservation was for 9:30 because we made it at the last minute, and we had a big party.
The place was only about half full when we got there, so I'm not sure why they couldn't have accommodated us a bit earlier.
In any event, the cons were that the menu was very complicated. It was not very clear what was included with what and how we should order so that everyone was able to get the full experience. Prices were very high for what we received. I think the whole cooking process was very awkward. We had the different fondue pots with different ingredients for each course (cheese, entree, and chocolate.) If you were at one end of the table and wanted something from the fondue pot at the other end, you either had to get up and walk down to the other end and dip your bread, fruit, or whatever into the pot and then go back to your seat, or pass your loaded fork down to the other end and have one of your fellow diners dip it for you and then pass it back. Not good. Plus, with ten people with two forks each and only three fondue pots, forks were continually getting tangled up and the bits of food got knocked off and ended up loose in the pot so no one knew whose was whose.
The varieties of fruit, bread, and veggies were very limited, especially given what we were paying.
Also, the whole meal took an exceptionally long time. We arrived at 9:30, and by midnight, we were just getting to the desert course. About half the people in the party bailed out because we had to get up early the next morning.
All in all, mediocre food and service at a very high price. I would never go back to a Melting Pot restaurant even if it was on the house. Very unsatisfied.