“Okay for a boring date... if you have nothing else to do that night”
Review of The Melting Pot - CLOSED

The Melting Pot
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Liberty & William Streets
Transit: The City of Ann Arbor's Transportation Authority Terminal is located behind the restaurant, providing bus transit services throughout the area.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Okay for a boring date... if you have nothing else to do that night”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My daughter requested that we go to the Melting Pot for her birthday; she hadn't been here before but the idea of cooking your own food using sticks sounded fun, and she's an adventurous spirit. We visited on a Wednesday night so we were seated right away, and initially everyone was very attentive and wished her a happy birthday. The restaurant is typical for Ann Arbor - a long rectangle with some walls here-and-there to organize kitchen/bar/dining area, and it was dark and modern looking. They have an extensive wine collection and the way they store the bottles was interesting. After we were seated, the problems started - our children both ordered simple drinks (Shirley Temples) and we had to remind the waitstaff that we still didn't have them... twice. Another group of people sat down about fifteen minutes after us, and they got drinks, "fondued", ate, and departed before we got to our chocolate course, though both tables ordered the same full four course meal. They had the same waiter, so I'm not sure what the issue was, and we are very forgiving diners (not so forgiving in reviews, but we tip well and don't complain while dining). The point is, if you're with children that have an expiration time (my kids tolerate restaurants for a limited time, and then all bets are off), or if you have another plan for the night like a movie or concert, this is not the place to go. Service is spotty, each course takes at least 30 minutes, and it's pretty expensive overall for average meats, unimaginative flavors, and an experience that left us all just... ho-hum. With a shug, we sleepwalked out of the restaurant, completely uninspired.

• Visited November 2013

Ann Arbor
“Great Dinner Night Out”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very much enjoyed The Melting Pot for wife's birthday. First time patrons. Service was great, very attentive staff but not overbearing. The food was scrumptious and the dark chocolate creme brule was to die for...sure pleased the wife.

Visited November 2013
Michigan
“Never Disappointing”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Now that you can individualize every course, every person in your dinner party is satisfied - no need for full consensus other than oil, chocolate, and cheese. Veggie lovers can get vegetables, seafood fanatics can get seafood and carnivores can order beef, pork, duck, chicken. It's truly gr8! You need 3 hours reserved for a four course meal, so just plan for that.

Visited August 2013
“Never disappointed!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

As always--we had a fantastic experience at the Melting Pot in Ann Arbor. We always have superior customer service with attentive and charismatic waiters along with delicious food that never disappoints. We got an amazing deal with their Art Week special and enjoyed every bit of it. The menu changed a little as far as how you order (you can now choose a different entree dish instead of having to agree on one with your party!). Although it is a little pricy if you pay full price, I feel like the experience and the staff make it worth every dollar!

• Visited July 2013
“Fun for a celebration!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to the Melting Pot for my birthday. We made reservations and still had to wait a few minutes when we first arrived. No big deal maybe 5 minutes top. We were seated in the back part of the restaurant in a more private booth, this was nice. My only complaints are, 1. It was pretty warm back where we sat at first, they must have over heard me say something and cranked on the over head ac. 2. The couple in the booth next door picked a really spicy cooking method and my nose was dying from the scent. But that's really out of the restaurants control, just a friendly warning.
Our waiter was Casey, and he was fabulous! He was friendly and informative about the dining experience. This was my first time so he was very helpful. We had plenty of refills and he wasn't at the table every 3 minutes. Just the right amount of table touching.
we did the four courses, cheese Fondue was delicious then you get salad then your main entree that you cook in the fondue pot on the table. It was an interesting experience! Casey showed us how to make mushroom caps which my boyfriend loved! Finally you get dessert! It's so yummy the cheesecake and strawberries were my favorite! Casey even brought us out extra strawberries after we had finished ours!
Overall it was a lovely treat. And I mean treat. This is not a let's eat here 2x a month place. We spent $104 just between the two of us. But we left full and satisfied! I would at least try this place once for the experience!

• Visited June 2013