“Beats out Noodles and Company”
Review of Tomukun

Tomukun
Ranked #18 of 605 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a great spot overshadowed by other easy eats on S. University. Turn the corner people! Go down Liberty and hop in here for fresh, fast,filling portions; timely and easy service; weekly specials. No - seriously - get in here for a steaming bowl of Pho to keep away the AA chill. You'll be thinking about when you can get back before you leave! Try the donburi too - seasonings were spot on and price was easy on the purse.

2  Thank Ann S

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was pressured to join the family for a park and a walk to this place. I was concerned about the young son and his narrow opinion of what he considers food. Prices were reasonable, the menu varied, and appetizers were great which encouraged him and me. Dinner was tempura udon for both of us. After some gentle coaxing he dug right in and devoured all before him. I was impressed by the flavor, composition, and complexity. It really tasted good and hit the spot on the first day of winter. The family raved about their choices as well. It definitely ranked a return visit.

2  Thank TheMItraveler
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a truely authentic Asian Food resturant.
For our family it was almost "SoulFood" with the freshest ingredients.
Large portions at great prices.
The service is great.
Tomukun offers a gluten-free menu!
This is the best high-end food with affordable prices.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am surprised that there aren't any recent reviews. Let me provide the update since I just had lunch there.

I really like Tomukun. It's a favorite among young Asians in town and it deserves their loyal patronage. This isn't Noodles and Co. fare; it's authentic, tasty, and appealingly presented. And appropriately cheap. The interior always has a pleasant vibe: young Japanese families with their kids; table after table of international students; and the smattering of Ann Arbor residents who know the diffference among pho, ramen, and udon. I also like sitting at the very attractive bar. And ordering off the summer menu -- particularly the daily lunch specials -- while sitting oustide is wonderful. The service is friendly and efficient. And they serve sake and soju. What else could you ask for?

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We've been here for several times. Always needed to wait around 30+ minutes for food. The last time my wife and I visited there, 35 minutes after we ordered our food, we were told the food was out of order and they wanted us to change our order. This is so ridiculous. Why it needs 35 minutes to know they don't have enough food to serve? About the food, "Tomukun Ramen" is the only ramen we can accept. All other kinds of ramen/noodles taste bad (like too sweet.) Katsu pork is good. The portion is large (2 slices of katsu pork). If you are not a person who can wait for your order for 30+ minutes, this is not a place you want to go.