“Great value and experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa del Sol B&B

Casa del Sol B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
Casa del Sol B&B
Ranked #5 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great value and experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed in Casa del Sol for approximately 2 months as a visiting researcher in 2009. It was a great opportunity for short term stay as most of the places in AnnArbor are rented by at least one year. Marta is a wonderful host sharing her quiet home with guests. She is very helpful with advice and practical tips for those newly arrived in town. Casa del Sol is conveniently located with a sense of privacy and yet close to ity centr and bus communication. I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Ann Arbor.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I had the pleasure to stay at Casa Del Sol B&B for two weeks and was welcomed with such hospitality and warmth by Marta. She made me feel right at home and was extremely helpful with helping me gain my bearings in Ann Arbor. She went above and beyond than just an inn keeper, she treats her guests like a dear family member, full of grace and care. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, beautifully decorated, quiet and peaceful and the location is excellent, in a peaceful neighborhood. It is also close to public transportation if you don't have a car! I look forward to returning on my next trip to Ann Arbor. Thank you, Marta!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending one month and two weeks at Casa del Sol when I arrived from France to Ann Arbor for a research scholar position at UM.
The Casa is a truly gorgeous place: the colors and each atmosphere of the different rooms make you immediately feel at home and relax. When I contacted the owner Marta for booking a room, within short notice she relayed to me everything I needed to know to so that I understood and would enjoy the stay that would be had. Her correspondence was prompt, timely and took into account the time differential with respect of our countries.
Upon arrival, my bedroom was tidy, cozy as well as spacious and luxurious. The bathroom and adjoining spaces included all the amenities you would want and expect from your stay. Moreover, the space within the kitchen and its fridge supplied ample room for cooking and imagine: always enough coffee and cookies for your enjoyement. As an added part of the overall home asthetic, Marta has a cat by the name of Hank [the kindest cat you could meet!] who she let me know about in advance and turned out to be the most delightful addition to my stay.
Furthermore I want to call to attention that Marta herself is a wonderful person. I am still in contact with her so much so that I think of her as a second mother for her kindness and care. Her attention to detail such as familiarizing me with American culture and my needed move to Ann Arbor, even helping me locate the flat that I have to this day and so many more things than I can relay in this review, truly shows how she cares about all of her guests unconditionally. That is why I would without hesitation recommend Marta and her Casa del Sol B&B for your stay in the area of Ann Arbor!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cecile152
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I visited Ann Arbor in March 2012 and chose Casa del Sol.Booking was easy and I was able to do it from India. Marta always replied to the emails and was available for calls. I had a great experience and Marta made me feel very welcome. My room was very beautiful and clean. It felt like a home away from home. The location is also good. You have buses to downtown and can even take a walk if you like. It was my first visit and Marta was very helpful. She took me around the neighborhood and showed me around the bus stations and even dropped me to work when she was free. I will definitely recommend this place even if you are planning a long stay. THANK YOU Marta!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at Casa del Sol for almost three months because I was a visiting scholar at the University of Michigan. I would say that my experience has been totally different from the previous negative reviews.
I could be able to reserve my room from Italy very easily and Marta always answered my email quickly and giving me all the information I needed. I also called Marta once in order to be sure that my phone would work in the U.S. and she was ready to answer my call.
My room was beautiful and very comfortable and clean, of course. Marta did her best for letting me feel as at home and she succeeded in that. I always had everything I needed, really.
She is a very kind, nice and energetic woman and I enjoyed having some discussion moments or dinner with her. You definitely have your own privacy at the Casa if you want, but you can also join the common living room for watching TV or just for taking a coffee together. For example, during my stay I met a lot of people from every part of the U.S. and from other countries too. This has been one of the most cool part of my stay. I really enjoyed spending some night talking with the other guests.
Now, in one of the previous review, the reviewer listed several things that disappointed him. I would say that none of those things did happen to me. So, maybe, all the problems he noticed are due to the fact he made the reservation at the last minute (as he writes in his review) and of course in such a case there could be some misunderstandings or lacks of information, just because the things are set in such a few time.
A last funny remark: I probably am the foreign guy speaking loudly on skype. Now, first of all I always made my skype calls in a very respectful hour of the day. Second, if I were really speaking so loud I don't know why no one never asked me to speak with a lower volume of voice. If you had asked me, I would apologize and speak lower. Third and more important, I don't see any reason to put in a review about a B&B something about the guests staying there. Sorry, but I don't see the connection. And furthermore I just feel that it is (at least) weird saying that there are two “foreign” guests in the other rooms. Does this make any difference in the choice of a B&B?
So, to sum up, my stay at Casa del Sol was wonderful. It is a beautiful place to stay in Ann Arbor, and in a very quiet neighborhood too. I strongly reccomend to go there if you want a beautiful and confortable place to stay. And Marta is very glad to host people from all around the world.

Room Tip: Go to the website or ask directly to Marta according your needings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EmaR83
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay in Ann Arbor, that was all. I chose a BnB because they make me feel less "on the road". What I did not expect was being able to find that "home away from home" feeling, that Marta provides! I have many bed n breakfast experiences with which to compare.

I stayed with Marta, her cat, Hank, and two other guests for seven days this past Nov. I must say that this was, by far, the best bed and breakfast experience; it was just what I needed. Other guests were very friendly, Marta opened her home (she and Hank do live there), and made me feel as one of the family. Coffee, tea and snacks and tea are available at all times; help yourself. One night we decided to make a pasta dinner, one guest was from Italy; I'm from Napa Valley so, what else(?), I brought wine to share. You feel at home so you want to share what you like, or not. My point is guests can make this stay whatever best fits their needs.

The rooms are clean, the bathrooms are well cared for, the surroundings are colorful and make you feel happy and at ease. It is a comfortable retreat from an otherwise busy world.
Do yourself a favor while in Ann Arbor stay with Marta at Casa del Sol! Kathleen

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Urbana, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I choose "terrible" to grab your attention. It's not that bad, but it is weird.

It's someone's house, and she lives right there with you. It's more rooming house than B&B. There were two long-term foreign (students? visiting scholars?) in the other rooms. One talked loudly on Skype, and we would have been able to understand every word if we spoke that language. Fortunately, we were not trying to sleep at the time.

We booked the room at the last minute for Homecoming weekend in Ann Arbor -- when hotel rooms are impossible to find. So that was cool.

Marta is an earthy, laid back type. We told her we're laid back, too. And we ARE laid back. But we still expect certain things.

For one, we expect a bed and a breakfast at a bed and breakfast. When we arrived, Marta said she might be leaving town that night, so we might have to figure breakfast out for ourselves.

We expect to be told if there are cats.

As many as 1 in 5 Americans is allergic to cats. We are two of them. Heather woke up from her nap wheezing, eyes swelling. Her clothes were covered with cat hairs. (Evidently the animal had been sleeping on the pillows!) Under the bed, a huge ball of cat hair and dust sat, just out of reach. You can see it here:

There was nothing we could do but strip the bedding, and swallow some drugs. There were no available rooms within a fifty mile radius, and we had to be up in the morning to work.

Meanwhile, Marta put the cat outside for the night. People who don't have allergies often think this will solve the problem. (I let it back in, the poor thing.)

Marta told us she removed cat references from the web site. I waited a month to see whether she'd put the info back up. She hasn't. Because Trip Advisor exists for exactly this purpose, I'm sharing this info.

As it happened, Marta's out-of-town trip fell through. She cooked Heather a breakfast of organic brown rice & eggs which Heather said was excellent. I slept in (antihistamines are good that way).

There's a sideboard with a Keurig single cup coffee maker, a basket with Kashi granola bars & instant oatmeal.

The breakfast nook is attached to Marta's kitchen, which is simply the kitchen and breakfast nook of somebody's home. Marta's laid-backness extends to this kitchen area. I got the idea that one could help oneself to stuff. I helped myself to a glass from the cabinet and had a pint of tap water, but didn't actually look around for goodies.

It's not as close to downtown as the other two B&B's mentioned below, but not too far. There are no toiletries, so make sure to bring your own.

My other B&B experiences in Ann Arbor include Cadgwith Too, which is also like someone's house, but completely detached from their living area, and very clean, with a private breakfast area. First Street Garden Inn is more traditionally B&B, with the owners living in a separate building on the property. I recommend both of these.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rob-mccolley
Marta S, Owner at Casa del Sol B&B, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hi Rob,

I wanted to let you know that Hank, the cat, has moved to Brooklyn, NY. I was watching him for my daughter while you were here. There are no pets in the Casa. I apologize that your stay was less than ideal, but thank you for your feedback.

Innkeeper, Marta