“Very Good New Year's Eve Dinner”
Review of Mercy's - CLOSED

Mercy's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. University
Brighton, Michigan
“Very Good New Year's Eve Dinner”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our first experience at this restaurant. Very clean modern decor. The menu was prix fixe for New Year's Eve and we also selected the additional charge for the wine pairings. Overall we enjoyed the dinner very much and found almost all dishes to be well balanced with excellent wines. The only miss was my main course which was a scallop dish with white beans. Yikes. Although the scallops were very nicely prepared, the white beans were to heavy for this dish and something light and fresh would have been a better choice. Most times fusion cooking is exciting and memorable, but this one dish needed to be redesigned. Service was first rate. A nice soft jazz ensemble complemented the experience and there was a small dance floor for those so inclined. Overall a very good restaurant.

• Visited December 2012

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Don't mistake this place for the Earle Uptown that it replaced”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was the first time I had dined at this restaurant since the Earle Uptown, a fine restaurant, had vacated the space in the Bell Tower Hotel and Mercy's moved in. I was with a group of about 15, for which we had reserved a side room. We ordered from a small-selection menu negotiated ahead of time. All of this is to say that perhaps this was not typical of what you might experience if you are part of a small group seeking a place to dine, but I am still not eager to return.

The appetizers were pretty good, the salad okay but not memorable, and things went steadily downhill from there. My vegetarian entree was bland and skimpy, and that was followed by a lukewarm (if that) espresso that was supposed to be served with dessert, but arrived long before it. After an inordinately long wait for our dessert to arrive, during which several people had just about decided to give up and leave, our desserts (ice cream or sorbet) arrived. My ice cream was about half melted, and I drank it about as much as I ate it.

This place is going to have to get its act together, or there will be yet another restaurant in its space in this grand hotel, which would be a shame.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank AnnArborMiBob
Melbourne, Australia
“Delecious food, Ambience & Service”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I booked for dinner at Mercy's Restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI not really knowing a great deal about it except for the fact that the menu consisted of fusion food, i.e. Asian & European. That was the deciding factor, plus, it veered on the side of fine dining and had quite an extensive wine list.

What can I say??

Food cooked to perfection, service with a smile & an elegant ambience.

When the waiter discovered it was our 30th wedding anniversary he offered us the dessert free of charge.

A very enjoyable evening, one that I would like to repeat in the near future. Mercy's is on a par with many restaurants from different countries well known for exceptional culinary experiences.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Firefly47
Niles, Michigan
“Frabjous!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Went with an old childhood friend for homecoming weekend. . lively atmosphere .. . . We had a window seat and could see the University of Michigan Band marching into Hill Auditorium for Bandorama. Had the wonton dumplings for apps, a great Caesar salad with a crisped peice of parmesan , and the scallops on a bed of sauteed napa. She had the salmon Desert was a perfect creme brûlée and a pumpkin roll . Delicious food and our server was very respectful of our request to slow down our service so we could catch up. It was a great meal. Thank you Mercy and Chef James!

• Visited October 2011
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Living the good life at Mercy's”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I've read other reviews of Mercy's and feel like I've been to a different restaurant. We have eaten there four times, and each time the food was excellent. The service has varied from so-so to excellent, but we have never experienced the interminable waits described by others. Perhaps this is partly due to our being there when it's not real crowded, but our dining experiences there have been so good that we would "risk" it should the occasion arise. It is a bit pricey, but is in a prime location and has food (our entrees were generous in size) to warrant it.

• Visited August 2011