“Delicious food & fantastic martinis! A bit pricey.”

Black Pearl Ann Arbor
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl Ann Arbor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 591 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Liberty
Transit: Bus and taxi stops within the block.
Description: Black Pearl, a rare gem. Our seafood and martini bar is the kind of locales sought after and then adopted for its casual charm and welcoming ambiance. From its inception as one of the few family owned and operated single location venues in the vibrant heart of downtown Ann Arbor, the idea behind Black Pearl Ann Arbor has been to reinvent the experience of "comfortable and cool" dining and lounging. Our bar and wait staff have been selected for what their parents have taught them to do . . . to welcome everyone with love.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food & fantastic martinis! A bit pricey.”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Dinner was delicious, and the lychee martini was amazing. A bit on the pricey side, but I would definitely return, and hope to in the near future.

• Visited July 2013

Brooklyn, New York
“Please get a new manager.”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Why is the general manager walking around in a hooded sweatshirt? He is not only not dressed appropriatley for this establishment, but he is also abnoxious. He doesn't know how to approach tables the right way nor solve issues. Black Pearl, please do yourself a favor and find a new manager.

The seared tuna entree was very good and I loved the Lychee martini.

• Visited November 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Just ok. Potential to be great.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

By all accounts this should be a great place, but it's just ok. Ok food, ok service, ok atmosphere in an amazing location. Passion up on the martini theme, hire a cleaning service, add some music and a energetic staff and folks will line up around the corner.

• Visited August 2013
Lansing, Michigan
“Serviceable but expensive”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I don't have any major complaints about this restaurant other than the price/portion ratio. In general, top notch restaurants feature small portion sizes at premium prices, but the food quality of the Black Pearl is not up to that ratio. It's good and artistically prepared, but it's not better than what you would get at Red Lobster, for instance. (My fiance thinks Red Lobster has better food quality, actually.) Ticket time was a bit long, at about 25 minutes, when the restaurant was not very busy (a slow Wednesday night).

One highlight is the drink menu. I had a Pearsicle, which is Pear Grey Goose Vodka with a few other things. It was also pricey but fantastic. It was perfectly prepared and a real delight. There were a few other unique cocktails on the menu that sounds great. I'd say that if you're looking for premium cocktails, this would be a great place to stop. Just skip the food unless you want to overpay for good but not fantastic food.

Visited September 2013
Whitmore Lake, Michigan
“custom cocktails and solid food at the black pearl.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hubby and I popped in early yesterday evening (Sunday) for some cocktails and a leisurely dinner. We'd walked by The Black Pearl a few times in the past but never stopped in. We debated a bottle of wine before deciding their cocktail menu was too impressive to ignore. There's literally something for every palate. My husband had the Promenade and I had the Spanish Hugo-- neither disappointed. Perfectly refreshing after a day on the boat.

Our sever was relaxed, informative, on-hand when needed and out-of-sight when not. I like that in a restaurant. It allowed us to linger over our cocktails and meal on a sunny, Sunday evening.

We ordered the crab rangoons as an appetizer and they were just okay, nothing special (including the presentation). 5 rangoons on a plate with some sauce.

We each had a cup of the lobster bisque and it was pretty good. My husband had the crabcakes sandwich (presented on an open-faced English muffin, great idea!) and was happy with his entree, right down to the pommes frites and house-made spicy ketchup. I ate quite a few off his plate, too, and they were gooooooooood. :)

I had the pan-seared scallops salad and loved it. I don't normally like a salad of spinach only, but I love scallops and the only other scallops dish had mushrooms (which I am allergic to). The spinach was fresh and not wilt-y, the scallops were prepared nicely, and I loved the (supposedly) housemade balsamic dressing and also the presentation with the Feta cheese triangle on the side. Lots of olives and banana peppers, too, with a slice of papaya on the side, yum!

A table nearby all ordered the fish (tilapia) tacos and their plates made me wish I had ordered that, too! Next time...

My only real "complaint"-- the manager should address his staff's style of dress. Minus the hostess and bartender (both polished), everyone else bordered between trashy (don't know how this server squeezed herself into the cocktail dress she had on, looked terribly uncomfortable) and then sloppy (wayyyyy oversized tee shirts and shorts, nothing tucked in). Adds to a better all-around experience, just saying.

• Visited August 2013