“Fine dining in Ann Arbor with local ingredients”

Grange Kitchen and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Grange Kitchen and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 603 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: The main bus terminal is located 2 blocks from our restaurant. Cab service also available
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went with family on a Friday to Ann Arbor's Grange Kitchen and Bar. This is a place that offers fine dining with local ingredients whenever possible. We made reservations early, and had no wait when we arrived. We sat down and took advantage of their extensive spirits list. We had a round of Sazerac cocktails, a blend of rye whiskey, absinth, and bar sour. Great choice. Next up, appetizers - splitting salads and chorizo/dates/and blue cheese. Next up, main courses: Cathie, my better half, had grilled salmon in a broth with grilled onions and spinach. Janet, my sister-in-law, had grilled duck breast with onions and candied beets. Dan, my bro-in-law, and I shared a 22-oz bone-in rib steak, rubbed with spices, hot seared, and finished with a light smoke. The meat was cut from the bone, sliced and presented in a "fan" on our plates. NOTE: Because this is such a big piece of meat, we were served rare rather than medium rare - not a big thing when everything else all around was perfect. We also had braised spinach with it. We all shared two orders of potatoes fried in duck fat. Dinner drinks were: glass of wine for the ladies and Green Bush Pale Ale for the guys. We were glad to see a long list of Michigan craft beers and wines.

There was so much food that we couldn't manage a dessert and took home enough for breakfast the next day.

Service was very good; atmosphere cozy; food great; spirits, wine, and beer great.

Total for our meal was $200 for the four of us before tip.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had received a Living Social deal for a 5-course tasting for two. That was the catalyst for our visit.

We had a 7:30 reservation on a Friday night. It seemed especially busy downtown AA that night but we luckily were able to arrive on time. We were asked by the hostess if we preferred a table or booth. We did not. I was put off a bit as the hostess gathered menus to seat us she asked if we would be finished by 9:30. I replied I had no idea as that would depend on the service. She said they had a 9:30 reservation for that table. I have no idea how that was something I should worry about. Pretty sure they should schedule their patrons - not rush out ones that are already there.

Anyways - the food was so enjoyable. You don't pick the courses rather are served choices from the kitchen. Each of our courses was just the right amount so we did not feel stuffed when we left. I will try items from their menu on another visit. Our server was very friendly and food arrived at appropraite intervals. The place was full by the time we left. It is a bit noisy - but not overly so. The "booth" seats are small and could use a cushion. It is a relaxed atmosphere and you can walk in to eat without worrying about being under-dressed.

I will note that pay attention to the wine list as some by-the-glass options seem a bit pricey.

I would recommend a visit.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The folks here know their way around critter bits. The fried pig head (actually a rich patty of pig face parts) could really be a main course - filling, crisp and decadent! The charcuterie is an artful mix of housemade salumeri and/or cured meats, pickles (locally produced) and several jams/mustards. Main courses reange from beefy goodness from the grill to plate friendly fish and fowl. The quality is evident from beginning to end. Unlike many folks who are jumping on the "brussel sprouts" bandwagon, this crew does it right. You know by the way you can't get enough of their crunchy goodness without the "gassy" funk of other inelegantly prepared sprouts we've had.
But, end it must. That's why we return again and again!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Grange is worth the visit. Try upstairs for a more casual atmosphere. The menu features farm to table product which is excellent and presented well. Try the deserts, which are unique and all made in house.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been here a couple of times. The service is slow but the food is great. Yes it's a little bit pricey. Happy hour is a great time to try their stuff. The cocktails are fun and yummy. The poutine is amazing.